Thank You. Reversed Type 2 in Two Months

zuckerhonig

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thats such fantastic news well done. Excuse my ignorance I’m new here but when you said that your diabetes is reversed but you will still always have it can you please explain? I thought if you reverse it that would be it? And therefore what does always have it mean in terms of the impact.

Hi,
That's a very good question, and is something that I wondered about too when I was first diagnosed.

After a trip to the local bookshop and the library, I visited the various websites, blogs and YouTube channels referred to in the books. There seemed to be quite a few of them touting the notion that T2D could be reversed, citing periods of anywhere from 5 days to 3 months.

I'm not a sceptic at heart, but given my experience of diabetics I'd encountered in the past, I'd never heard of the condition being reversed. So, I thought: this will take some convincing.

Well, 10 months since diagnosis, and I'd say, by Prof. Roy Taylor's definition, my T2D is in remission, or, if you prefer, reversed.

How? Well, I'm on no medication, and haven't been for 8 months. My average BG over the last 90 days is 5.3. And my most recent A1c was 40.

Before we all join the stampede to the 'all you can eat' I'm afraid there is a catch.

I achieved this by adopting a LCHF diet. Immediately after the consultation with the DN, I decided, based on what I'd read, to cut out bread, potatoes, pasta and rice. Oh, and it goes without saying, sugar and all things sweet.

As a result, I've gone from just under 100kg to 70kg and stayed at that weight.

Prof. Taylor's study, which by way of severe calorie restriction over a period of 12 weeks, appears to achieve results similar to bariatric surgery (a tummy- tuck), requires a weight loss of just 10 percent.

Long story short. There is no 'one size fits all' here. Once you find the lifestyle changes you have to make - and can, realistically, maintain - there is no going back to sticky toffee pudding or random takeaways after a night on the ale.

There are plenty of useful resources both here and elsewhere online that will point you in the right direction.

Best of luck!

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Jon K

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I felt my surgery were more of a hindrance than a help and could not get an appointment to see the doctor to discuss the results. (My only other post was a rant about that!)

I think I need to give a big shout out to my GPs, practice nurses and admin support. I started out with a suspicious pain (later diagnosed as an inflamed liver) for which they sent me for blood tests and an ultrasound scan to make sure nothing serious was going on. The blood tests came back with an HbA1C of 58 and I was put on metformin and statins to bring it down as soon as possible. My GP's thinking was that I had no symptoms of diabetes so he wanted to get the sugars down before I started with anything.

Within a few weeks I had been given an appointment at the local hospital to see a dietitian to talk through my nutrition. I'd also had an hour with the practice nurses to go through my medication and to check that I understood everything and I'd been for a eye test. The practice nurses set some targets for me to achieve over the next few months

Within a few months I'd also been on a 1 day DESMOND course arranged by my surgery.

After the 3 month review I was taken off all medication as I'd improved beyond the targets and had achieved normal blood levels and have continued to do so for 2 years.

I didn't have to do anything other than ask questions - the surgery set things up for me and invites for appointments just arrived in the post or they phoned me. So I feel I've had excellent support from my GP Surgery - Moss Lane Surgery in Madeley Staffordshire and having read many horror stories in this forum I just felt I had to mention that there are good surgeries out there that are encouraging and supportive.

On my last visit my cholesterol was 5.3 (just the total - the LDL was in the ideal range). My GPs view was that trying to fix that would almost certainly mean I'd mess up something else. His view was "you have a live a little".

Jon.

davidopong

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank You.

I was diagnosed with Type 2 on 23 January this year. (Blood sample taken on 6 January). My HbA1C was 57 and I was prescribed Metformin 500mg twice a day.

I felt my surgery were more of a hindrance than a help and could not get an appointment to see the doctor to discuss the results. (My only other post was a rant about that!)

So feeling overwhelmed by it all and needing help, I looked to the internet and found this wonderful site.

I read everything I could to try and understand this disease and immediately started a low carb diet. (Very low carb).

I started to test my blood and within 4 days my blood tests were below 7 and so far have never gone any higher. Most being high 4’s to mid 5’s with the very occasional low 6 from the “Morning Phenomenon”.

Weight started to fall off me, 2.5 stone so far and hoping to continue.

I changed my GP Surgery and on 15 February the new surgery’s nurse was taking blood to get another sample tested.

I just got back from getting the results. My HbA1c level is 39!

The Diabetic nurse is extremely pleased and explained that my Diabetes is reversed but I still have Diabetes and will always have it. (Just as I learnt from this site).

We discussed whether I should come off Metformin, (I decided stay on it for now), and she is happy to see in me in a year for another blood test. (She said if my own blood tests should start to go up them give the surgery a call).

So a very big THANK YOU to everyone.
This is my own story

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
Brilliant, just had similar but not that good.

Was put in hospital on 17th Jan with a blood sugar of 27 and hba1c of 104.

Had my bloods last week and went in for my results today.

Hba1c was 62 but they said it will lower further as the 3 month window wasn't off.

Lost 1st 9lbs in that time and they've taken me off the met form in completely.

Properly pleased for you as I know how good it feels

Dear JTJ can you let me know what units you are talking about? Especially the HbA1c of 104 ?
Thanks...

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
I think I need to give a big shout out to my GPs, practice nurses and admin support. I started out with a suspicious pain (later diagnosed as an inflamed liver) for which they sent me for blood tests and an ultrasound scan to make sure nothing serious was going on. The blood tests came back with an HbA1C of 58 and I was put on metformin and statins to bring it down as soon as possible. My GP's thinking was that I had no symptoms of diabetes so he wanted to get the sugars down before I started with anything.

Within a few weeks I had been given an appointment at the local hospital to see a dietitian to talk through my nutrition. I'd also had an hour with the practice nurses to go through my medication and to check that I understood everything and I'd been for a eye test. The practice nurses set some targets for me to achieve over the next few months

Within a few months I'd also been on a 1 day DESMOND course arranged by my surgery.

After the 3 month review I was taken off all medication as I'd improved beyond the targets and had achieved normal blood levels and have continued to do so for 2 years.

I didn't have to do anything other than ask questions - the surgery set things up for me and invites for appointments just arrived in the post or they phoned me. So I feel I've had excellent support from my GP Surgery - Moss Lane Surgery in Madeley Staffordshire and having read many horror stories in this forum I just felt I had to mention that there are good surgeries out there that are encouraging and supportive.

On my last visit my cholesterol was 5.3 (just the total - the LDL was in the ideal range). My GPs view was that trying to fix that would almost certainly mean I'd mess up something else. His view was "you have a live a little".

Jon.
hi Jon K
check the ratio of total cholesterol over HDL, and the triglycerides over HDL - check out Dr Michael Mosley, [the truth about exercise ] or Ivan Cummins, or Prof Ken Sikaris on how exercise and low carb can change cholesterol . If they need changing at all - you should learn that more important than the total are these ratios.

Jez87

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Why is the belief that you always have it ... Why is a reversal not thought of as cured ? Any thoughts on this ?

Amanni15

I’m a newly diagnosed T2 and feel totally lost with it all so I’m reading everything I can get my hands on. The way forward seems to be a low carb diet - can anyone offer advice and meal suggestions?

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m a newly diagnosed T2 and feel totally lost with it all so I’m reading everything I can get my hands on. The way forward seems to be a low carb diet - can anyone offer advice and meal suggestions?
See www.dietdoctor.com

Jenny Rhule's book Blood Sugar 101.

I've been following LCHF for three years since just after diagnosis.
Try bacon and eggs, tree nuts, avocado, salmon, meat, green leafy vegetables (not root vegetables), salads, extra virgin olive oil. Avoid potatoes bread pasta root vegetables. Try to avoid refined carbohydrates.
People will give you lots of suggestions.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank You.

I was diagnosed with Type 2 on 23 January this year. (Blood sample taken on 6 January). My HbA1C was 57 and I was prescribed Metformin 500mg twice a day.

So feeling overwhelmed by it all and needing help, I looked to the internet and found this wonderful site.

I read everything I could to try and understand this disease and immediately started a low carb diet. (Very low carb).

I started to test my blood and within 4 days my blood tests were below 7 and so far have never gone any higher. Most being high 4’s to mid 5’s with the very occasional low 6 from the “Morning Phenomenon”.

Weight started to fall off me, 2.5 stone so far and hoping to continue.

I changed my GP Surgery and on 15 February the new surgery’s nurse was taking blood to get another sample tested.

I just got back from getting the results. My HbA1c level is 39!

The Diabetic nurse is extremely pleased and explained that my Diabetes is reversed but I still have Diabetes and will always have it. (Just as I learnt from this site).

We discussed whether I should come off Metformin, (I decided stay on it for now), and she is happy to see in me in a year for another blood test. (She said if my own blood tests should start to go up them give the surgery a call).

So a very big THANK YOU to everyone.

Congratulations!!!

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Sure @daisy1 has an info spiel that will find you at the next login.

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Why is the belief that you always have it ... Why is a reversal not thought of as cured ? Any thoughts on this ?
The topic has been done to death already. You can do a search to read the plethora of thoughts. The simple answer would be that if the reversed return to a diet of carbs and sugars the T2 will just march back over the hill. Hardly a cure.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In my case it's because it can quite easily come back if I slack off with my eating and let the carbs creep back in.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Mottsy

Hello Mottsy and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it helpful. Ask as many questions as you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.