Thanks to the Low Carb Program

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have 7 pounds to go to be under 25 BMI. Gone from being on 9 tablets a day (5 metformin, 2 Gliclizide, 1 statin, 1 ramipril) to just the Ramipril, as my blood pressure is still slightly raised at 130/85. will stop this soon too.
Maintenance is the next big challenge and I am researching best ways now. I do think I will stick to a low carb diet though, just adjust up until I get the balance right. Looking forward to the odd slice of wholemeal.

So that we don't derail plantagenet's excellent thread, it could be useful for you to start one of your own for your maintenance?

Many of us have been there, done that and even got the size 8 t-shirts, so there's loads of knowledge out there, either by doing a search or starting a thread. Changing from loss to steady weight has been a challenge for some; I kept losing, but there are ways to manage through that and avoid a yo-yo situation, as that was one of my worst fears.

Reactions: 2 people

Hydie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Watching this with interest. Wife's been trying the low carb and going hypo. Try try again since reading the success stories
Ah yes, both my carb ratio for rapid acting and my basal insulin requirements dropped by around 25% after a few weeks of low-ish carb food choices (<100g per day) Then a further 10% drop after I'd lost around 10 kg. Now, if I have 20g carb and moderate exercise, I don't need any rapid acting insulin at all (not tested if that is sustainable 3 meals a day tho). Went through a few hypos before I worked out how much it all dropped by, chose to stop driving for 3 weeks was worried about losing hypo awareness, but was fine in the end.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Despite working abroad and eating hotel breakfasts and dinners I have been able to keep my BG in normal range without metformin since low carb diet. I have also lost four stone since my peak weight. Here are a couple of tips for dealing with restaurant food.
For breakfast mostly I vary the eggs, scrambled, poached, boiled, omelettes. I mostly steer clear of the cereals and toast but porridge doesn't seem to spike me.

Indian - Have a cauliflower bhaji instead of rice or naan with your main course.
View attachment 17758
Indian 2 - Have tawa vegetables (ask for no potato) instead of rice or naan.
View attachment 17755
Chinese - Have stir fried veg instead of rice.
View attachment 17757
Japanese - accompany your main dish with fried eggplant in sesame sauce (do make sure you tell them no sugar).
View attachment 17756
Western - Poached Salmon and King prawns with asparagus, spinach, cauliflower cheese and vegetables.
View attachment 17760
Western - Tuna filled avocado with saladView attachment 17759.

Love to hear any other low carb restaurant options.
STEAK

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad manners rudeness conflict and arguments
Hi what is the low carb diet
I have recently completed the Low Carb Program and it has been well worth the ten weeks. I have a much better understanding of the condition and what food types affect it, have lost 7kg now and my fasting BG is, touch wood, consistently below 6.0Mmol/L.

DominicLaiYew

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list
I have recently completed the Low Carb Program and it has been well worth the ten weeks. I have a much better understanding of the condition and what food types affect it, have lost 7kg now and my fasting BG is, touch wood, consistently below 6.0Mmol/L.
Hi there,
Congrat's for the success!
May i ask if you can give me an example of your daily diet so that i may understand further how it's done on a daily basis?
I read the suggested diet by the good doctor on 800 calories but haven't munstered the willpower to do it yet...
Am currently on a 1200 calorie diet plan, & minimizing many carbs already
On Mets 500g 2 times a day

plantagenet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there,
Congrat's for the success!
May i ask if you can give me an example of your daily diet so that i may understand further how it's done on a daily basis?
I read the suggested diet by the good doctor on 800 calories but haven't munstered the willpower to do it yet...
Am currently on a 1200 calorie diet plan, & minimizing many carbs already
On Mets 500g 2 times a day

Thanks. Below is my day's intake & exercise for yesterday. I try to keep it around these amounts with variation to avoid boredom. Hope it helps.

Breakfast
50g Eat Natural Super Granola
40g Blueberries
67g Benecol Blueberry Yoghurt Drink
57g Blackberries
120g Waitrose Greek Style Natural Yoghurt
32g Pomegranate Seeds

Lunch
22g Hovis Nimble Wholemeal sliced (22g slice)
41g Waitrose English Medium Grated Cheddar
30g Cherry tomato

Dinner
45g Cherry tomato
100g Grilled Sottish Salmon Fillet
21g Rocket Salad
56g Avocado
10g Light Mayonnaise
20g Pomegranate Seeds

Snacks & Drinks
2 pint water
4 cup coffee
0 cup tea
120g M&S EP Mandarin (1 app 60g)
140g Jazz apple (inc core).
10g Black Olive Grissini (10g)
10g Lindt 85% cocoa dark chocolate square (10g)

Daily Total
Carbs (g) Cals Fat (g) Satfat (g) Fibre (g) Protein (g)
99.2 1546 74.8 28.1 19.8 50.7

Exercise
10 Min EB Tension 3: 200 cals burnt
1.2 mile / 25 min moderate pace walk inc. steep hill: 128 cals burnt

plantagenet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. Below is my day's intake & exercise for yesterday. I try to keep it around these amounts with variation to avoid boredom. Hope it helps.

Breakfast
50g Eat Natural Super Granola
40g Blueberries
67g Benecol Blueberry Yoghurt Drink
57g Blackberries
120g Waitrose Greek Style Natural Yoghurt
32g Pomegranate Seeds

Lunch
22g Hovis Nimble Wholemeal sliced (22g slice)
41g Waitrose English Medium Grated Cheddar
30g Cherry tomato

Dinner
45g Cherry tomato
100g Grilled Sottish Salmon Fillet
21g Rocket Salad
56g Avocado
10g Light Mayonnaise
20g Pomegranate Seeds

Snacks & Drinks
2 pint water
4 cup coffee
0 cup tea
120g M&S EP Mandarin (1 app 60g)
140g Jazz apple (inc core).
10g Black Olive Grissini (10g)
10g Lindt 85% cocoa dark chocolate square (10g)

Daily Total
Carbs (g) Cals Fat (g) Satfat (g) Fibre (g) Protein (g)
99.2 1546 74.8 28.1 19.8 50.7

Exercise
10 Min EB Tension 3: 200 cals burnt
1.2 mile / 25 min moderate pace walk inc. steep hill: 128 cals burnt

Just to mention, I'm not on meds, diet and exercise controlled.

Dazzy_D

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Very positive stuff. I have just started the programme (week 2) and already with all the tips and advise on here I have seen a difference in a huge drop in sugar levels and blood pressure......and feeling very good about myself :)

Reactions: 2 people

meldrew

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well done excellent result for you I can relate to that having been following the low carb diet as well, lost 3.5 kg and levels on average around the 6 mark , was 4.8 today !! but heavy work day and really cold so burning up a lot
I am not on meds but my doc said lose weight and get levels down or he will !! good enough incentive really I am 60 have been type 2 for 4 years now but certainly feeling better for it, and as someone on the forum suggested about my dizziness to try potassium supplement and bingo !! jobs a good un
hello
Well done excellent result for you I can relate to that having been following the low carb diet as well, lost 3.5 kg and levels on average around the 6 mark , was 4.8 today !! but heavy work day and really cold so burning up a lot
I am not on meds but my doc said lose weight and get levels down or he will !! good enough incentive really I am 60 have been type 2 for 4 years now but certainly feeling better for it, and as someone on the forum suggested about my dizziness to try potassium supplement and bingo !! jobs a good un
can you confirm what your dizziness felt like and how long the spells lasted as I have recently experienced mild dizziness lasting a matter of seconds. I to am type 2 and 61.

Whitebrook

Like so many of you, I have been encouraged and motivated by the low carb programme (I feel the need to keep revisiting it to keep up the momentum). I have also found the posts from successful T2 'friends' so helpful. I want to copy the challenge of maintaining my bs at 6 or below for a month but can you tell me what time of day you test? My early morning bs is usually around 7 but I can be as low as 5 by early evening. Have already lost over 1 St and cut my Metformin by half, down to 1000g in the evening. Really want to reduce medication even further.

Whitebrook

plantagenet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I guess I am one of the lucky ones as, so far, I am not having to take meds and only use diet and exercise, so as my fasting BG is within "Normal" levels when I get up in a morning and my HbA1c was 39 I don't feel the need to test further during the day, up to now I have had one close call on my goal with a 5.9 but the rest have been in the upper 4s or low 5s. One of the things I found was that by keeping accurate records of my food intake and exercise I feel more in control because I can see the effects straight away and can adjust. Maybe I'm just being anal, but it seems to be working for me.

Magisham

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done both of you.

I think it is amazing that some of us end up taking photos of food!! I do it all the time at home. Can't eat out nowadays due to preservatives and sweeteners...or at least I have found it too difficult.. However seeing your photos and listing has given me some confidence that I may be able to try something out....thank you !
Try a Greek restaurant. There are so many things that are okay to eat ........ hummus, olives, grilled haloumi, fish, grilled meat, stuffed aubergines, salads, etc. My partner is Greek and much of what we eat on a low carb diet is what we were eating anyway.

Reactions: 6 people

becro

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
As a matter of I

shirty252

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Low carb way of life! Stopped taking novarapid & cut my Levemir from 52units twice daily to 18units twice daily after two weeks. Picture of my meter log.
e76b16a8a7dc5f655112fe9d18e2b5b8.jpg

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

fene48

That sounds good to me. It could be simply the fact that you lost body fat that has caused your cholesterol level to go up temporarily, but hey you've found what works for you and that's great. :)
That sounds good to me. It could be simply the fact that you lost body fat that has caused your cholesterol level to go up temporarily, but hey you've found what works for you and that's great. :)
Wonderful achievement and all the best for further progress .Like you, I have been around the same level of carbs, but have to watch my fat intake. A modest carb, mediterranean style restricted saturated fat diet did the trick for me - once I reached my desired weight . Excellent results and keep at it.

lbd

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone. I found that too high fat bumped up my cholesterol so I settled on Lowish carb, Medium fat at around 100g carb to 120g fat and that has seemed to work for me so far. My goal is a full month less than 6.0. So far

Which Cholesterol ??

With LCHF , LDL can rise, along with Total Cholesterol, and often does, as is what I experienced.
But not all LDL are damaging. Its the sub fractions that are critical. Triglycerides s are key in all this as per the Professor Ken Sikaris information here , this is really worth understanding for all.

Its part of a swag of Videos by Doctors & Health Scientists here
http://www.lowcarbdownunder.com.au/videos/