Thanks to the Low Carb Program

plantagenet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have recently completed the Low Carb Program and it has been well worth the ten weeks. I have a much better understanding of the condition and what food types affect it, have lost 7kg now and my fasting BG is, touch wood, consistently below 6.0Mmol/L.

Reactions: 13 people

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have recently completed the Low Carb Program and it has been well worth the ten weeks. I have a much better understanding of the condition and what food types affect it, have lost 7kg now and my fasting BG is, touch wood, consistently below 6.0Mmol/L.

That is AMAZING :) Thank you so much for sharing your progress. We're working *very* hard to extend the program, all and any feedback welcome. :) :) :)

Reactions: 6 people

plantagenet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone. I found that too high fat bumped up my cholesterol so I settled on Lowish carb, Medium fat at around 100g carb to 120g fat and that has seemed to work for me so far. My goal is a full month less than 6.0. So far

Reactions: 4 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone. I found that too high fat bumped up my cholesterol so I settled on Lowish carb, Medium fat at around 100g carb to 120g fat and that has seemed to work for me so far. My goal is a full month less than 6.0. So far
That sounds good to me. It could be simply the fact that you lost body fat that has caused your cholesterol level to go up temporarily, but hey you've found what works for you and that's great. :)

Reactions: 7 people

PeterThompson

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Despite working abroad and eating hotel breakfasts and dinners I have been able to keep my BG in normal range without metformin since low carb diet. I have also lost four stone since my peak weight. Here are a couple of tips for dealing with restaurant food.
For breakfast mostly I vary the eggs, scrambled, poached, boiled, omelettes. I mostly steer clear of the cereals and toast but porridge doesn't seem to spike me.

Indian - Have a cauliflower bhaji instead of rice or naan with your main course.
CYDp9NJUkAAVN9E.jpg

Indian 2 - Have tawa vegetables (ask for no potato) instead of rice or naan.
CaoUMgAXEAAVJ8p.jpg

Chinese - Have stir fried veg instead of rice.
CYOGYEiWEAElawk.jpg

Japanese - accompany your main dish with fried eggplant in sesame sauce (do make sure you tell them no sugar).
CaJPPbKWIAE4yCZ-1.jpg

Western - Poached Salmon and King prawns with asparagus, spinach, cauliflower cheese and vegetables.
CSbL8YvXIAQJyM6.jpg

Western - Tuna filled avocado with salad
CYspIQ1WsAQMgJz-1.jpg

Love to hear any other low carb restaurant options.

Attachments

• Ca8w0DWXEAQ818y-1.jpg
    Ca8w0DWXEAQ818y-1.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 477
  • CSbL8YvXIAQJyM6.jpg
    CSbL8YvXIAQJyM6.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 454
Reactions: 14 people

plantagenet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done you in getting round the hotel food issue. It was always a problem for me when I was working away from home for extended periods. I put on a shed load of weight.:(

PeterThompson

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done you in getting round the hotel food issue. It was always a problem for me when I was working away from home for extended periods. I put on a shed load of weight.:(
It's how I got overweight in the first place, if only I'd known the impact of carbs then. Still better late than never. As a result of becoming diabetic I am now fitter and healthier than I have been for years. It's a funny world.

Reactions: 12 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Well done both of you.

I think it is amazing that some of us end up taking photos of food!! I do it all the time at home. Can't eat out nowadays due to preservatives and sweeteners...or at least I have found it too difficult.. However seeing your photos and listing has given me some confidence that I may be able to try something out....thank you !

Wraakian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Loud, bawdy people and over muscled macho men out to prove they're tougher than everyone else or with bad attitudes, mobile phones being used whilst driving, unfair VAT and tax.

Well done, I have also had great success with the low carb diet and I find restaurants very accommodating in exchanging root veggies for either just green veg or a salad and have yet to be refused. On a recent cruise, although they did not give me a special low carb option I was able to request no carrots or potato products and ask for salad, or I simply left any root veggies aside. Also when dining in the buffet breakfast, I chose steak, bacon and eggs instead of high carb options available (even though the American cookies and pancakes looked great!). Keep up the good work, for me it's not really a diet as much as a better food choice and it works well, though I do have to watch my weight doesn't go too low now as 10st 9lb is ideal for my 5ft 8inch height and my BMI is now perfect (Before, I used to watch my weight didn't get too high and I was >12stone!)

Reactions: 7 people

plantagenet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done to you too. I think you have hit the nail on the head, it's not a diet, it's a lifestyle choice. I'm still on the journey and stalling for a while at just under 12 stone, (from 131/2 two months ago), so still a bit to go to get the BMI in the green.

Reactions: 6 people

Kfoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Once you go low carb, you never look back. Been on it for 16 months now. Lost 6 stone, BG levels gone from 10 to 5. Feel fantastic, look fantastic (so I've been told) LOL. Takes a few weeks to get used to, but research, get recipes, do them.

Reactions: 10 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Once you go low carb, you never look back. Been on it for 16 months now. Lost 6 stone, BG levels gone from 10 to 5. Feel fantastic, look fantastic (so I've been told) LOL. Takes a few weeks to get used to, but research, get recipes, do them.

That really is quite some weight loss. Have you reached your target yet or are you still trimming? if you're at or near your target, it could be useful to have your maintenance strategy figured out, as that's the danger time, from what I read.

Reactions: 2 people

Kfoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have 7 pounds to go to be under 25 BMI. Gone from being on 9 tablets a day (5 metformin, 2 Gliclizide, 1 statin, 1 ramipril) to just the Ramipril, as my blood pressure is still slightly raised at 130/85. will stop this soon too.
Maintenance is the next big challenge and I am researching best ways now. I do think I will stick to a low carb diet though, just adjust up until I get the balance right. Looking forward to the odd slice of wholemeal.

Cashmere

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Watching this with interest. Wife's been trying the low carb and going hypo. Try try again since reading the success stories

daveandjoan

Well done excellent result for you I can relate to that having been following the low carb diet as well, lost 3.5 kg and levels on average around the 6 mark , was 4.8 today !! but heavy work day and really cold so burning up a lot
I am not on meds but my doc said lose weight and get levels down or he will !! good enough incentive really I am 60 have been type 2 for 4 years now but certainly feeling better for it, and as someone on the forum suggested about my dizziness to try potassium supplement and bingo !! jobs a good un

plantagenet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Watching this with interest. Wife's been trying the low carb and going hypo. Try try again since reading the success stories
I think you need to find your own level, I tried 130g then went down to 75g, 90g and settled on getting it between 100g and 120g. Also found that I needed to keep an eye on the fats as my cholesterol bumped up if I overdid it so settled on between 100g & 120g for that also. Since then, so far touch wood, my fasting BG has so far been between 4.7 & 5.7.