The 5:2 diet

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
miserable weather, rude and bad mannered people
I have recently started the 5:2 diet, mainly to lose weight but also for the health benefits it is supposed to bring. I am due for my next HBa1c review in November this year and am hoping to have it lowered by then due to the help of doing this 5:2 in help losing weight as i know that if it's not lowered this time then i will have to go on metformin.

Is anyone else doing this diet to lose weight (and get the health benefits) as i've heard it could 'reverse' diabetes.

Salgor

Hi Carina

Can you enlighten me regarding the 5:2 diet. Recently my weight has increased alongside the increase in my insulin. :crazy:
I have been to see my diabetic dietician today and I have to keep a complete food diary for a week and test BG at least 4 times a day for the same period. Over the last 6 months I have got to the highest weight I have been ever (including 9 months pregnant!!).

I am interested in looking at all ways and can check these with my dietician before I go headlong into them.

Looking forward to hearing more about this.

Salgor

Elc1112

Salgor - it's basically five days or normal eating, followed by two days of eating no more than 600 calories.

I did give it a try but found it too hard. For me, I need to be strict 90% if the time and have the occasional 'treat' day rather than the other way around. Having said that, everyone is different so it is definitely worth giving it a try.

Personally, I stick to a 1,200 calorie a day diet. Try and make it as low carb as possible without getting too many low. I exercise six times a week - kickboxing, cycling, kettlebell classes etc. I've found this works fairly well for me. I do find that I out weight on easily if I cut back on the exercise, though.

Em

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
carina62 said:
Is anyone else doing this diet to lose weight (and get the health benefits) as i've heard it could 'reverse' diabetes.

The 5:2 diet is not the same diet as the diet used by Roy Taylor in the Counterpoint Study at Newcastle University. That was a fasting diet of between 600 and 800 calories per day for 8 to 12 weeks. It was observed that people who had gastric bands fitted appeared to be cured of their diabetes and so the Counterpoint Study attempted to mimic the severe calorie restriction of bariatric surgery by diet and will power. It appears to have met with a good degree of success, at least in the short term.

The 5:2 diet is a sort of attempt to replicate this but by making it easier. Michael Moseley of the BBC looked at the benefits of servere calorie restriction, which included a reduction in the level of the IGF hormone and then looked at alternate day fasting, which was 7 days eating normally and 7 days restricted to 600 cals. Unlike the severe calorie restriction, this is maintainable over a longer term. It amounts to roughly living on 60% of the calories one is used to. The 5:2 diet is a further relaxing of the regime and it may well result inw eight loss, but the other health benefits are far from clear.

Mr Happy

I did my own version of the 5:2 diet...

At five to every hour you can eat what you like til the clock chimes. So far its worked a treat, and I've treated myself to some larger trousers...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ive tried a modified version of that one, eat healthy for 5 days mon~fri, eat what u like on the next 2 lol

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app