The bread isle

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Hi I didn't know which category to say this if anywhere, it's just a silly observation.... What kills me in the supermarket? Not the chocolate isle or the crisps the beer or the biscuits no, no no the bloody bread isle waaaaaaaah ;)

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
And tesco now do a finest chocolate bread. Weep:(

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
I'm going to try and spot the diabetics in asda reading labels and sniffling down the bread isle

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've said for a long time that supermarkets are the best place to pull.:lol:

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been trying to avoid the bread and cake aisle in Tesco because of the smell but a crow has made me buy bread. The crow bangs on the back door or window and I have found it easier to throw bread out to keep her quiet. She started the noise about two weeks ago so I bought some Tesco cheap bread for her.

I was surprised at the sweet smell that remained on my hands after throwing a few slices out the back door. I have to wash my hands each time I handle it. It's funny that when I used to eat bread I never noticed it.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can cope with most of the aisles including the bread one - BUT the fruit aisle drives me crazy! :crazy: I miss my fruit so much I used to eat loads of fruit and even though I still eat all fruit in small portions It is the only thing I crave for - it's pretty hard to avoid too as by nature it's always next to the veg!!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Andy12345 said:
I'm going to try and spot the diabetics in asda reading labels

That's me :lol:

Really disappointed as Tesco's have stopped doing the seeded farmhouse batch that I've been enjoying recently :thumbdown:

WhitbyJet

I dont even bother going down certain aisles in the supermarket, I look at a loaf of bread ans immediately see a mental image of double figures on my bg meter.

I bake all our breads, low carb of course, google Dukan bread recipe, look at the oatbran recipe in the low carb recipe section, I find Scandinavians are way ahead when it comes to low carb foods and recipes, scan through the pics, let me know if you need me to translate.
http://lchf-bloggen.blogspot.co.uk/sear ... /br%C3%B8d

http://lavkarbobakst.blogg.no/134030529 ... orund.html

http://lavkarbobakst.blogg.no/133859264 ... erdag.html

Do your own baking, breads and cakes and you will know what you are eating, you will keep good bg numbers and fresh bakery aromas will fill your house :D :D

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
It's just struck me, that we are weird, almost feels like we have a secret that no one else wants to know lol, this makes me smile though

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
I'm going to have a go at baking this weekend, if it goes wrong I'll call it a dense biscuit

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Andy12345 said:
I'm going to have a go at baking this weekend, if it goes wrong I'll call it a dense biscuit

Or a hamster house? They love making a home for themselves in a loaf given an opportunity.
So Tesco have stopped their finest seeded batch?
I couldn't find it either the other day.
We got the Warburtons seeded batch instead but it's not as nice.
Olive rolls and walnut rolls in the pick n mix bit are very tempting and taste sooo good with willow softer butter.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Squire Fulwood said:
I was surprised at the sweet smell that remained on my hands after throwing a few slices out the back door. I have to wash my hands each time I handle it. It's funny that when I used to eat bread I never noticed it.

I noticed the same thing too after buying some kingsmill white that had been reduced that I fed to the swans on the river...It's a bit like when you give up smoking...You can smell a smoker a mile off!

Apricot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Just to give you all a giggle on this grey Friday... White rabbits...

I am writing from my office...in a Bakery...and the aroma of breads is wafting through the offices...its oh so good...and rich, warm comforting...later it will be a small army of gingerbread men....

Thats how you give directions to the Bakery..if you can smell the bread...it travels some distance...you are close.

I live within smelling distance too...so it can be all day, everyday...

The funny bit...I am both Coeliac and diabetic....and dont touch/take a knife & butter to any of it.... :crazy: :lol:

Have a good weekend..

Apricot.

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
The bread aisle for me is easily avoided, But Apricot......working in a bakery????!!!!! That would destroy me, I'd have to find another job. :lol:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
MCMLXXIII said:
I couldn't find it either the other day.
We got the Warburtons seeded batch instead but it's not as nice.

I was shopping in Tesco's last night and they now do a Super Multiseed Farmhouse in the Finest Range, I bought one and it's in the freezer as I'm only half way through my current loaf, I'll let you know what I think :thumbup:

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks I'm off there later so will look for it.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Apricot said:
Just to give you all a giggle on this grey Friday... White rabbits...

I am writing from my office...in a Bakery...and the aroma of breads is wafting through the offices...its oh so good...and rich, warm comforting...later it will be a small army of gingerbread men....

Thats how you give directions to the Bakery..if you can smell the bread...it travels some distance...you are close.

I live within smelling distance too...so it can be all day, everyday...

The funny bit...I am both Coeliac and diabetic....and dont touch/take a knife & butter to any of it.... :crazy: :lol:

Have a good weekend..

Apricot.

Snap Apricot, I'm Coeliac and diabetic too, I used to work in supermarket bakery many years ago, had diabetes ( type 1) but not Coeliac then.

When I make my DD sandwiches or make her some toast, the smell of the bread is wonderful and has me drooling, I do miss it so much. Tapioca, rice and potato 'bread' is what I eat now, but only in small amounts as Free from foods are quite high in Carbs and honestly, it doesn't taste that great :(
RRB