The bread isle

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Hmmm I didn't think I was allowed bread? Can I eat seeded bread?

C

chris lowe

Tesco used to do an amazing cranberry and stilton bread. Luckily they don't seem to do it anymore as I would buy it and then pick a bit off every time I went past the kitchen and it's surprising how quickly it disappears when you pick! Was in Sainsbury's the other day and the smell of hot cross buns was torture. Could we sue them under the human rights act? :lol:

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I wish, I did struggle to keep on walking past when I saw the hot cross buns the other day. I used to eat those for breakfast, lunch, tea and supper!!! And any snack in between!!! :lol:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
chris lowe said:
Tesco used to do an amazing cranberry and stilton bread. Luckily they don't seem to do it anymore as I would buy it and then pick a bit off every time I went past the kitchen and it's surprising how quickly it disappears when you pick! Was in Sainsbury's the other day and the smell of hot cross buns was torture. Could we sue them under the human rights act? :lol:

Believe it or not but Tesco's also do a loaf with chocolate added :shock: ..........no I've not tried it :lol:

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep, i said that back in post 3. I've not tried it either, it looks dark rich and moist....right I'm off to get some.

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

World Hereafter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
...."just slowly back away form the bread isle... put down your baskets... and no-one will get harmed"....

:lol:

sazdragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Bullies!!
The most difficult aisle for me is savory crackers and crisps I tend to steer clear of them!

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
the wife reckoned i was grumpy yesterday after coming home from tesco`s......grumpy?......i felt like running up and down the bread isle snatching the bread from peoples hands and trollies insisting its not fair and if i cant have it no one can,.....grumpy?.... uhuh!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
sazdragon said:
The most difficult aisle for me is savory crackers and crisps I tend to steer clear of them!

I can eat crisps. It's the nurse that panics but I think she worries more about cholesterol than diabetes.

It's a funny old world.

alisoningold

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone. I am new to this "community" site. I've been having a read through posts and this one's thrown me! Why do you not eat bread?! A

Ann19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bread is high carb, which turns to glucose in the body and puts blood glucose levels up, particularly white bread. Some type 2 can manage certain breads especially if they are low GI as they don't spike levels quickly, it tends to be a slow and low move upwards comapred to white bread.

I can cope with 2 slices of Burgen Soya and Linseed, many other type 2 on diet can't, only testing tells us which camp we are in.
I can also manage Morrisons Walnut and Sunflower Bread in small quantities, that one is REALLY yummy.

Ann

Apricot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I am in the office at work...and its a bakery.
The aroma is wafting through the rooms...warm, comforting, tempting...rich and glorious...makes you want to get the butter out and sink teeth into a slab of it with plenty of butter on....(and blow the diet..).......you get the picture??

Its easy to direct people to the village here...when you can smell the bread....you know you are there...

As with everything else..there is a down side....two of them...

I live within smelling distance of the bakery...so no escape.

Plus I am Coeliac..so cant touch any of it....and those gingerbread men....could find a home for them....but I would be so poorly...

So the bread aisle is a doddle...

Apricot

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I never liked white pap anyway. I buy Burgen which is low GI and very tasty. I am also a label checker ad Burgen beats the lot. Also I buy the delicious baked in local bakery something they call low GI bread which is brown seeded bread. The mix is just sent to the bakery soit is worthwhile trying your local one.
BTW I bake my own oatcakes now and put pumkin, sunflower and sesame seeds in. A doddle to make and much cheaper than Nairns etc!!

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have found the entire subject of breads and diabetes fascinating. It has cost me a small fortune in strips testing them, usually several times. The biggest problem is not knowing what is in the bread, despite the claims made*.

Artisan bread bakers do some excellent loaves but even with loaves with a high rye content, BG can still spike quickly. The 100% dark ryes are bar far the best. Some bakers who do a low GI loaf which looks more like a brown loaf are also very good. I however suspect that there is more to it than just the grains. The yeast and gluten content play an indirect part. Generally, bakers yeasts are to either be avoided or used only in small quantities. Leavens, sourdoughs, bigas etc seem to be safer. Sourdough breads tend to state what they are, the others, sponges and poolishes etc don't. Commerical processes mean that it is quicker and easier for a commercial baker to bung yeast and sugar into a loaf in order to get a quick rise. Good bread needs time. Leavens and sourdoughs start with cultures which use the natural yeasts found with the grains and produce a number of enzymes and acids which interact with not only the choice of grain, but also in the way those grains have been milled. The acidic content may, in my opinion, help with insulin sensitivity.

I am experimenting with different bread cultures at the moment and, when they are ready, I shall try them on different grains and combinations. If in the meantime there are any other hobby bakers reading this thread, please share your knowledge. Life is so much easier if you can make sandwiches for a meal so finding suitable breads is worth the effort.

Andrew Whitely, author of the book Bread Matters, has a website for those interested.
http://www.breadmatters.com

* A wholegrain of truth? Industrial loaf names, claims and contents
http://www.sustainweb.org/publications/?id=266

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i can smell it reading this, somebody slap me please :twisted:

LaserMum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had to get a kliplock storage container in Asda last week and I couldn't find them anywhere but I knew that they sold them.
I had to ask an assistant and guess where they were? Yep - you got it - in the bread aisle. I got a funny look from the assistant when I said "No wonder I couldn't find it. I've been avoiding the bread!" Duh!