The Carbohydrate-Insulin Model of Obesity

Biggles2

The following link is to an interesting article by Dr. David Ludwig - a well-known proponent of the LCHF approach - on the 'Carbohydrate-Insulin Model of Obesity' (CIM):
https://medium.com/@davidludwigmd/g...hydrate-insulin-model-of-obesity-327d84be6d2b

The article starts by comparing the conventional view of obesity, that is that overeating drives the increase in body fat which is then followed by high insulin secretion, with the CIM view: that it is the high insulin secretion that drives the increase in body fat which then leads to overeating. If the CIM view is right - and Dr. Ludwig acknowledges it is still unproven - then the treatment focus should be on lowering insulin secretion with a LCHF approach.

The article is well worth a read and includes links to an editorial and a couple of related articles!:)

Reactions: Guzzler and zand

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I doubt any one model will cover it as the human body is so diverse in its intricacies
That model doesnt quite chime with my experiences with weight which saw constant weight gain throughout childhood, earlt adolesceence / early adulthood. The thing that made a difference for me was the identification and treatment of various food intolerances.
With that approach I lost 6 1/2 stone in 6 months and an overall loss of 10 stone. The exclusion diet I had to follow alongside testing wasnt remotely low carb ( lamb, lamb fat, brown rice & pears) and contined more calories than I was previously eating
Ive seen various people hypothesising that for at least some people lc produces significant weight loss because it excludes some of the most common foods people have intolerances to ( mainly grains and beans) and at the same time hypothesising in that one reason it fails to do so for some others is that it fails to exclude other ( particularly eggs, dairy and shellfish)
Some of the later stuff written here is not, I think, very good advice to diabetics but the overall message of reduce / eliminate allergies / intolerances and the resultant inflammation does,I think, hold true
http://www.food-allergy.org/inflammation.html

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
CIM + genetic factors makes perfect sense to me. I was unaware of the controversy surrounding it but that would account for the adherents to the CICO stance. Ludwig is right, they need to look again at the very basicmechanisms for clarification and proof but how to do that with little or no funding is beyond me.

Reactions: Biggles2