The great coconut flour conundrum

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Okay LC bakers, can anyone tell me why the carb count so much across different brands of coconut flour? I'm really quite confused and perplexed .

These are some of the scores on the doors per 100g for the brands I found on Ocado:

Groovy Food 16g :D
Daylesford 20.8g:D
Tiana 21.7g:D
Coconut Merchant 44.6g:sour:
Biona 46g:sour:
Terrafertil 56.5g:mad:
Lucy Bee 59.8 :mad:

I've also used the Puro brand today, which comes out at 28g

I was thinking it could be a net vs gross carbs thing, but that wouldn't explain such variance. Any ideas?

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Coconut flour is usually made from the coconut flesh after the milk is extracted, but reading the information on Lucy Bee suggests they make it from whole flesh? All the nutritional data is different from Tiana, which is the one I buy.

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Coconut flour is usually made from the coconut flesh after the milk is extracted, but reading the information on Lucy Bee suggests they make it from whole flesh? All the nutritional data is different from Tiana, which is the one I buy.
Thanks....that might start to explain it.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve often wondered the same - no idea I’m afraid, I just go for the lowest I can find. At the moment Ive got a pack from bulkpowders. Com which is 26g/100
I’ll be interested to see if anyone knows.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I don't know either, but just for those who might read this thread and think this food is not compatible with Keto, it is; at least the GroovyFood brand, which is one of the options I use for pancakes / waffles.

For around 6 waffles the size of 6 bread slices (third of a cup of flour), there is around 3.2 grams of carbs.

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't know either, but just for those who might read this thread and think this food is not compatible with Keto, it is; at least the GroovyFood brand, which is one of the options I use for pancakes / waffles.

For around 6 waffles the size of 6 bread slices (third of a cup of flour), there is around 3.2 grams of carbs.
I've used Groovy Food before and it definitely looks like the best option by far.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve always used Groovy Food as it’s the only one the supermarkets I shop at sells. Lucky it’s the lowest carb one! :joyful: