1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

The great coconut flour conundrum

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by BibaBee, Apr 10, 2019.

1. BibaBee

BibaBee Family member · Well-Known Member

Okay LC bakers, can anyone tell me why the carb count so much across different brands of coconut flour? I'm really quite confused and perplexed .

These are some of the scores on the doors per 100g for the brands I found on Ocado:

Groovy Food 16g :D
    Daylesford 20.8g:D
    Tiana 21.7g:D
    Coconut Merchant 44.6g:sour:
    Biona 46g:sour:
    Terrafertil 56.5g:mad:
    Lucy Bee 59.8 :mad:

I've also used the Puro brand today, which comes out at 28g

I was thinking it could be a net vs gross carbs thing, but that wouldn't explain such variance. Any ideas?

2. TriciaWs

TriciaWs Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Coconut flour is usually made from the coconut flesh after the milk is extracted, but reading the information on Lucy Bee suggests they make it from whole flesh? All the nutritional data is different from Tiana, which is the one I buy.

3. BibaBee

Thanks....that might start to explain it.

4. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

I’ve often wondered the same - no idea I’m afraid, I just go for the lowest I can find. At the moment Ive got a pack from bulkpowders. Com which is 26g/100
    I’ll be interested to see if anyone knows.

5. Mbaker

Mbaker Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I don't know either, but just for those who might read this thread and think this food is not compatible with Keto, it is; at least the GroovyFood brand, which is one of the options I use for pancakes / waffles.

For around 6 waffles the size of 6 bread slices (third of a cup of flour), there is around 3.2 grams of carbs.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. BibaBee

I've used Groovy Food before and it definitely looks like the best option by far.

7. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

I’ve always used Groovy Food as it’s the only one the supermarkets I shop at sells. Lucky it’s the lowest carb one! :joyful:

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook