The Hairy Dieters

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
catherinecherub said:
If Delia recommends them they are something I would use if I ate bacon.
http://www.deliaonline.com/equipment/kn ... aters.html

Well, I clicked on the link to see what Delia recommends (bearing in mind I could probably never afford it) but I'm a lost cause Catherine.
My attention was immediately diverted by the recipe link to the Toad in the Hole with Roasted Onion gravy on the same page! :lol:

WhitbyJet

Well, you can make a very nice toad in the hole using a low carb pancake batter, thicken your onion gravy with guar gum or xanthan gum instead of flour and there you have it, delicious!!

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Does this make a difference to the taste of the gravy? I do love my gravy..

WhitbyJet

ladybird64 said:
Does this make a difference to the taste of the gravy? I do love my gravy..

The gum has no taste, but you need to be careful of how much you add, it has 10x the thickening power of cornflour. So add a little at a time or else you will end up with gravy jelly!!
I sometimes thicken gravy with double cream or ice cold butter cubes, but then I am low carb and so as to not lose any more weight I have increased fats.
If you dont want to do that, guar gum is a good option, I use it most of the time because my family prefer their gravy without cream/butter.

snowy_barks

I low carb and still thicken my homemade gravy with plain flour.

I only use about 2 heaped teaspoons full which is only about 6g-7g of flour in a pan. Even if I ate half the pan, which I don't, then I cannot see how 3g of flour can make any difference.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Id agree with Snowy here, I personally couldn't be bothered to mess about with alternative thickeners for the sake of a teaspoon full of flour.

However for those who do and like to experiment there is a seaweed found around our coasts called Carrageen which when boiled produces a thick gloop which can be used in a number of ways to thicken just about anything. Its also very nutritious too. I believe it is also called Irish Moss. Apparently all seaweed is edible so unlike mushrooms you cant get into trouble foraging.

http://rbgeherbaljournal.blogspot.co.uk ... edies.html

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Watched episode 2 last night. Fantastic that they both lost over a stone in weight in the first 3 weeks and reduced their waist size by 4 inches, even though they are only on 1300 cals a day the food they were eating looked delicious and healthy. Looking forward to next weeks :thumbup:

Cowboyjim

I watched last week's prog yesterday and wished I had not. It was all fine and dandy with their pizza pies and low-cal takeaways but two things stood out and one thing literally had me reaching for the boot I keep handy to throw at the screen.

First, did I hear right when I heard one of them going on about having to give his son carbs? I presume because of his age he is Type 1.

The thing that really got me tho was the scene when they measured their blood pressures. After a bike ride and with at least apprehension of what the results might be they were very low. Almost too low and I was I must confess envious, I really wish I could get mine down that low... mind you I thought they were too low if anything...

I have changed my entire lifestyle since my diagnosis three years ago and seems to have availed me of only slight improvements... they have done this in weeks. There is something fishy.

All opinions on this topic most welcome and gratefully received.
8)

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I didn't get the idea Si's son is diabetic. I thought he was having carbs because he was doing sport of some sort. IMHO the boy is a bit too fat anyway (listen who's talking! :lol: ).

I too thought their BP was pushing the low side, but they were still on meds then so presumably it will go up a little bit when they stop those.

I thought the pie-crust idea was pretty good - and you can get (or make) wholemeal pizza dough which would have been even better. However, I don't really believe in substitutes. My whole idea is to stop eating pies - not to keep eating 'pretend' ones. I'm re-training myself out of the flour habit altogether - or trying to. Then, when I go out for a 'treat' meal (2 of those this week - yum!) it's even more of a special occasion.

I wish they'd explain more of the theory they're working to. It's quite obvious that they're reducing fat, and keeping an eye on their carb intake, but they haven't said why.

Also, they're even more 'calorie restircted' than the guy on the 'Horizon' programme who was eating 1800 cals a day.

Am I going to buy the book, I wonder?

Viv 8)

PS I couldn't cope with that little Westie under my feet in the kitchen :shock:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
viviennem said:
I wish they'd explain more of the theory they're working to. It's quite obvious that they're reducing fat, and keeping an eye on their carb intake, but they haven't said why.

If you remember the first episode they went along to see Prof Taylor who weighed them and assessed their body fat in that Pod, both were around 40% fat and the Prof said they were at a heightened risk of type 2 diabetes and a heart attack or stroke.

Interesting that last night the Prof said to keep the weight moving they had to reduce their calorie intake by 100cals, the weight loss achieved by both thus far is fantastic and the loss of body fat was even better, the fact that both could come-off bp meds as a result of their weight loss and increase in exercise was also encouraging.

The pie's and wraps did look good as did the chicken korma :thumbup:

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Paul_c said:
phoenix said:
According to this one both his wife and son have T1.
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-ea ... -30266066/
The Guardian in 2005 said his son was aged 5 so he will now be 12, probably needs a fair amount of carbs; depends on his insulin regime.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... .features7

Why? I was under the distinct impression that the fewer carbs you consume, the less insulin you need.
The nutritional needs of a child with T1 are no different to a child without diabetes. He's a twelve year old, at that age he probably has far more need of calories than many of us and has to get them from somewhere. if he's eating a balanced diet , that will include carbohydrates.

If he's on a basal bolus regime or pump, then he could if wanted reduce carbs and adjust the insulin accordingly. If he's on a mixed insulin this isn't possible so for good control he needs 'fixed doses' of carbs . (Reducing the insulin on this sort of regime to account for reduced meals would also reduce the essential background insulin)

In any case I don't find that my insulin requirements decrease proportionally when I reduce carbohydrates in a meal. A high protein one would require almost as much insulin as one with a lower protein content but more carbs.

C

catherinecherub

Cowboyjim said:
I watched last week's prog yesterday and wished I had not. It was all fine and dandy with their pizza pies and low-cal takeaways but two things stood out and one thing literally had me reaching for the boot I keep handy to throw at the screen.

First, did I hear right when I heard one of them going on about having to give his son carbs? I presume because of his age he is Type 1.

The thing that really got me tho was the scene when they measured their blood pressures. After a bike ride and with at least apprehension of what the results might be they were very low. Almost too low and I was I must confess envious, I really wish I could get mine down that low... mind you I thought they were too low if anything...

I have changed my entire lifestyle since my diagnosis three years ago and seems to have availed me of only slight improvements... they have done this in weeks. There is something fishy.

All opinions on this topic most welcome and gratefully received.

8)

If you are referring to your Blood Pressure Jim, it could be genetics involved.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 075514.htm

There are loads of thin people with high BP and they are not all diabetics. Some people probably didn't have high BP's before they gained weight and once the lose the weight, it goes back to normal.

I have always had a high BP from my teens and have been taking meds since then. I was always slim until I my eating went out of control for about 6 months. It took me the same amount of time to lose the weight but even though I am now underweight, I still have a high BP. It is something I can thank my ancestors for according to my Cardiologist.. :(

Cowboyjim

Thanks CC especially. Sorry to hear you share this adjunct to the bothersome malaise of DM.

This genetic connection really gets me down. It undermines my confidence in control. In some respects I fear the consequences of HT more than I do DM. Together they can seriously grind down your will. And when they throw in the hoopla about cholesterol I can see why some might considering admitting defeat. It can sometimes feel like you are in a dark alley and three thugs have their knives trained on you with Batman nowhere in sight.

As you can see, the HB show was entertaining for me up to that point when they sat down for their measurements. If anything it likely made my BP rise - I think I am cross because I suspect the veracity of that scene; it might well have been staged. Their smugness about the pills and teenage bodies was just too much. I know it is just entertainment for some but I feel this unwarranted and overblown. It may serve to encourage some to seek weight loss but it also may depress others at their lack of progress. A tricky line to take.

I concur about the pies - it is maybe not ideal to seek substitutes, it makes me think of the concept of non-meaty substitutes for people who want to go veggie. This is frowned upon by some devotees. But I can see the efficacy in some cases (and the commercial potential of such products).

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
noblehead said:
viviennem said:

If you remember the first episode they went along to see Prof Taylor who weighed them and assessed their body fat in that Pod, both were around 40% fat and the Prof said they were at a heightened risk of type 2 diabetes and a heart attack or stroke.

Interesting that last night the Prof said to keep the weight moving they had to reduce their calorie intake by 100cals, the weight loss achieved by both thus far is fantastic and the loss of body fat was even better, the fact that both could come-off bp meds as a result of their weight loss and increase in exercise was also encouraging.

The pie's and wraps did look good as did the chicken korma :thumbup:

You misunderstood me, Noblehead. :D That bit in the first episode was great, and will have given many people food for thought, but Prof Taylor didn't say how he wanted them to diet (apart from "reduce calories"), or why they're avoiding carbs. Cutting all the fat off bacon etc is "conventional" thinking; but reducing carbs isn't (eg the leek "lasagne"). I'd have liked a bit more theory!

Maybe it's all in the book.

Viv 8)

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
viviennem said:
noblehead said:
viviennem said:

There dieting using calorie reduction Viv and the reason for substituting Leek for Pasta is that it made a lasagne which was only 354 calories per portion whereas a similar Lasagne made with pasta would have been 500 plus calories, so they managed to make a tasty Lasagne with a 30% reduction in calories :thumbup:

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Quote from Prof Roy Taylor

It’s really good that the Hairy Bikers are advocating a healthier diet as people will listen to them in a way that they will not listen to yet another government health warning. And not only are they advocating a healthier diet - they have demonstrated that they can stick with it.

They really have put some muscle behind the most important point - that it is the total amount of calories eaten rather than any fancy detail about types of food that matters.
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/press.office/press ... ry-dieters

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
viviennem said:
You misunderstood me, Noblehead. :D That bit in the first episode was great, and will have given many people food for thought, but Prof Taylor didn't say how he wanted them to diet (apart from "reduce calories"), or why they're avoiding carbs. Cutting all the fat off bacon etc is "conventional" thinking; but reducing carbs isn't (eg the leek "lasagne"). I'd have liked a bit more theory!

Maybe it's all in the book.

They are just cutting the calories Viv from 2600 which they ate before the diet to half of that now, I don't think they need to explain the theory as most people know that if you cut back on the calories your body needs then you'll lose weight.

The reason why they are mostly focusing on low-fat/fat reduction is due to fat having twice as many calories as carbs and protein, it will be interesting to see once they reach their goal how they'll fair in keeping their weight steady.

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just got the book today. They have reduced the carb count quite a bit, just not revealing the fact or giving any full nutritional breakdown for the recipes, just the ingredients list and the calorie count per portion. They are holding to no more than 50 grams of rice, pasta or potatoes in a portion and quite a few of their pasta or rice related recipes go even further by having say 100 grams uncooked weight of pasta for 4 portions. Early on in the book, they state that you should make the carbs the smallest portion on the plate, and quite a few of their recipes leave them out altogether (except perhaps cornflour for thickening a sauce).

The low-fat mantra and calorie counting of the recipes may be just their way of keeping the NHS diet police onside.