The heat

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been type 1 since last October. Can I just ask does the heat lower your sugars.

For some of us it does, I know if its really hot I needed to reduce my basal amounts (I say needed cos I'm now on a pump that auto-adjusts so haven't really noticed if it has or not over the last week), but some find they need more, but basically yes hot temperatures can indeed change your insulin needs

Reactions: Elaine karen

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Yep, I normally back off the basal a couple of units this time of year (or when visiting warmer climates - those were the days). I see a good few people in another forum saying that they need more insulin though.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Yes, it can make me more insulin sensitive & prone to more hypos if I don't lower my basal dosage.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Concur and that's why you are warned not to wax your legs as the heat makes the insulin circulate faster....
Having said that mine refused to shift below 15 for most of Monday which is just coincidental and unexplained.
Do not worry for it will be British Summertime weather soon.

AlexD14

I've found trying to maintain stable BGL's during this hot weather a bit of a struggle. Some days I've found my insulin sensitivity spike, especially when I've been out and about, but with it being so warm during the nights I've found it difficult to get a decent night sleep, making me pretty resistant at times and a struggle to bring higher BGL's down. Whilst I don't mind the sun I would rather the heatwave passed soon, it would be nice to have a comfortable nights sleep again!

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've found trying to maintain stable BGL's during this hot weather a bit of a struggle. Some days I've found my insulin sensitivity spike, especially when I've been out and about, but with it being so warm during the nights I've found it difficult to get a decent night sleep, making me pretty resistant at times and a struggle to bring higher BGL's down. Whilst I don't mind the sun I would rather the heatwave passed soon, it would be nice to have a comfortable nights sleep again!
You are not alone I have exactly the same problem. I can’t wait for it to cool down which seems such a shame but I am having such a hard time with my BG and covered in bruises from extra injections

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
When I used insulin pens with lantus & novorapid it didn't affect me. Been using omipod dash since March so only using novorapid now & my blood glucose now plummets in the sun. Strangely it only seems to be if sitting in the sun rather than feeling hot. I reduce my basal by 30% now but that was on recommendation from consultant as a starting point. You'll need to discuss with your diabetes team.
Best of luck