The Medtronic 670g pump, automode and 2am hypos .... bleurgh

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hiya all,

So I'm wondering if anyone can help, I got my pump last year and finally got the sensors to go with it late last year, so have been using the auto-mode feature since late December, now most of the time it does a pretty good job - I'm now in target (3.9-10) about 90% of the time (which for me is absolutely amazing), however, about once a week or so I'll get rudely awoken by it beeping at about 2am as I've dropped down to 3.8.
Sometimes instead of the hypos warning I instead get woken up by it whinging that I've been on minimum basal delivery for 2.5 hours (at which point it needs a blood test), which is better as I don't need to eat sweets, but still rather disturbs my sleep somewhat (good job I don't need to drive into work at the mo huh) - but yeah about once a week I've been woken up by either of the two mentioned issues

Now things to note about automode (ie things I cant change):
It works out the basal rate dependent on my blood sugar level every 5 mins, so I can't change it
Said hypos at 2am are normally about 7/8 hours after I last took a bolus for food, so I cant see it being carb ratio related.

Most times it happens its stopped the basal completely for a good hour or two before I get down to 3.8 in fact (last night according to it, it stopped my basal at 12:14, and I dropped from 6ish down to 3.8 by 1:50am ish, I had been bobbling around 6-7ish before I went to bed at about midnight

So my only thoughts so far: my Fiasp is lasting way longer than its supposed 2 hours or I'm storing some of it til much later, or my body sometimes just seems to burn through sugar between midnight and 2am (when I'm trying to get to sleep or am asleep), or I'm just too chaotic for automode :(.

So yeah, if anyone has any thoughts, suggestions or a new working pancreas to spare, please let me know

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Can you adjust the Fiasp time?
I find mine lasts for at least 3 hours and my DSN thinks 4 hours.
2 hours seems very short - whilst the peak is sooner than NovoSluggish, it the profile graphs show it lasts overall for about the same length of time.

As you say, if your pump thinks it lasts for 2 hours and it last much longer you will still have some on board that it doesn't know about when your pump is calculating basal.

Reactions: Rokaab

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Can you adjust the Fiasp time?
I find mine lasts for at least 3 hours and my DSN thinks 4 hours.
2 hours seems very short - whilst the peak is sooner than NovoSluggish, it the profile graphs show it lasts overall for about the same length of time.

As you say, if your pump thinks it lasts for 2 hours and it last much longer you will still have some on board that it doesn't know about when your pump is calculating basal.

I did originally have the active insulin time set to 4 hours, I think I changed it down to 2 cos I was spending either too much time in the 10's presumably because my bolus amounts are much larger than my basal so it always thought I had loads active still (and so it wouldn't let me correct) or if my levels were about right (5-7) I kept getting 'min delivery alerts' due to the amount of bolus still in my system, and well I got the 2am weekly-ish hypos then anyways.

I did try changing to Novosluggish with it set to a 4 hour active time (the Medtronic trainer suggested it as said pump had been tested a lot with Novosluggish and not with Fiasp), however omg there were a whole bunch of completely rollercoaster days that I did not enjoy one bit (I was either at about 3 or at 11/12 - not much time in between lol) - tried for a couple of weeks and whilst I didn't get the 2am hypos anymore, I got them at a bit after midnight instead - which was also not entirely useful as you can imagine, anyways, I swapped back to the Fiasp.

I think I did manage to stop one last night (I think) by having about 6/7 carbs before going to sleep and I was level all night, but the hypos are only random so if I do that all the time I may just end up sitting higher than I'd like all night especially when my DP kicks in just for fun .

So yeah have tried a few things, the only things that's vaguely worked is the snack before bed.
I will say though that the auto-mode does a better job than I can through the day.

I may try setting the time to 3 hours though, to see if it helps :)

Last edited:
Reactions: In Response