Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Lamont , Thanks for your reply . In addition to RH I have IR so I'm sure that adds to the confusion in my diet . I
have never been a fat eater and lean towards low carb high protein with veggies but I feel low bg coming before and after meals . If I stay home I can manage it but up until a few weeks ago I walked 6-7 miles a day and now I can't go out . I loved Metformen I thought it was a great solution until it wasn't anymore (and after a while my stomach was ok) , I was hoping by going off it half dose I would return to feeling safe again . I'm and RN so I have researched this and my mom was a bad type I diabetic so I knew a few things about it . I feel my Endocrinologist has been smart and knowledgeable but I just think this has to many gray areas unfortunately . I did start ready the post but will complete them , thanks

Once again, and I'm not trying to baffle or tell you otherwise, but when I was on that horrible rollercoaster of symptoms and blood sugar levels, my insulin resistance was high and because of the diet I was on even though it was not low carb, it was supposed to be a really healthy diet that included complex carbs and good low fats and no fat off meat, olive oil to cook with, this should be a really good diet for someone who has been a diabetic, as I was diagnosed in 2009!
However, the diet was causing my insulin levels to rise considerably every day, also I had no control over my blood sugar levels, how could I be eating a healthy diet but still having the symptoms of hyperglycaemia, hyperinsulinaemia and also Hypoglycaemia? My liver function, fatty liver and my endocrine system in bad health!

I believe if you start a food diary and use a glucometer to see what is happening, you will discover the foods that you are intolerant to. That causes the trigger to the excess insulin.
Who would have thought that potatoes are really, really bad for me?
Who would have thought that porridge is really bad for me?
Who would have thought that vegetable oils are really bad for me?
Who would have thought that even eating a few complex carbs would trigger a reaction of an overshoot of insulin?

You see what I mean!

Reactive Hypoglycaemia is a grey area, because most of the research was done many years ago but still didn't find that avoiding the foods that you react to are always the foods that the doctors, dsns, dieticians and even endocrinologists (though I have convinced mine, how well I'm doing avoiding these so called healthy foods are!) Will keep telling you.

A lot of diabetics have lowered their insulin resistance using a low carb diet, if you read the success stories forum,, you will see that you can get good results.
But you have to find out which foods are doing this.

Best wishes