The New Bread Nirvanha!!

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Another bread that doesn't seem to spike me is Kingsmill Sliced Wholemeal - but I only eat it very very occasionally, if I have a toasted sandwich in my friends' tea shop. A large slice has 16.6g carb, so a sandwich has 33.2g, which is over my usual daily intake. :oops: That's why they are a rare treat.

It is always a ham & cheese toastie with a side salad and additional mayo, and it is most likely the accompanying fat that slows down my BG response.

If I have one a month it's a lot. Usually they do me a special "Atkins Salad" of our own devising, with a slice of ham, grated cheese, hardboiled egg, the usual salad stuff - not forgetting the mayo! Delicious! :D

Their own home-made wholemeal bread, served with soup or my favourite poached eggs, doesn't spike me either, but the slices are very small.

I haven't tried poached eggs with mayo yet. Hmmm! :wink:

Viv 8)

Grazer

They were selling small loafs of freshly made wholemeal spelt bread covered in seeds at my local market yesterday. Looked really nice - don't know if spelt is supposed to be better? Anyone know?

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Is this what you mean?
Definition of NIRVANA
the final beatitude that transcends suffering, karma, and samsara and is sought especially in Buddhism through the extinction of desire and individual consciousness

C

catherinecherub

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Bought a loaf last week and took two slices out from the freezer for my dinner today, have to say's it's very nice Grazer and a good replacement for Burgen for those that don't like it :thumbup:

desidiabulum

It's all true! I finally bought some of Grazer's recommended bread and it is indeed both delicious and relatively low carb. That's nirvana, however you want to spell it - arise, Sir Grazer. Unfortunately I am going to have to freeze most of the loaf because my sugars have entered the Twilight Zone again, so I am going to drop bread from my diet for a while to try to persuade them to be more reasonable.

RobsterinSheff

Dislikes
Type 2 diabetes; Hashimotos; English weather; arrogant and self centered people
I'd also recommend M&S 'no wheat gluten free brown seeded loaf' = 21.7g carb per 100g and very passable as a no wheat bread (based on spelt and seeds).