1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

THE PLEASURE OF BEING ABLE TO WALK

Discussion in 'Success Stories and Testimonials' started by Viv0147, May 15, 2018.

1. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Well-Known Member

At the end of the day it is quality of life that trumps everything else. Congratulations on improving yours.

Now I have to give myself a stern talking to and remember that jealousy is not an attractive quality :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  2. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

@Viv0147 do you still take metformin?
    I cannot wait to return to it.
    A 2st weight loss does help from metformin. I've been off it months now.
    But until then I force myself to walk, even in pain. My walking is getting worse, not better. Dihydrocodeine causes me inflammation. On less ibuprofen I can see and feel the difference.

A great success for you @Viv0147. :)

3. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

I'm jealous too.
    I took walking soooo much for granted. Booking a mobility scooter yesterday brought my difficulties right in my face. I never thought, I, me, would have to do this. I know only temporary so I guess that's helping. At least, it had better be.

• Hug Hug x 2
  4. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Aye, lass. You don't miss things 'til they're gone. Chin up, by this time next year you could be doing marathons!

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. kokhongw

kokhongw I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Inspirational!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

Psychologist (diabetes one) today has lifted my spirits. She feels my mental health has improved. We did a questionnaire to prove it. I remember how I was feeling on my last one.
    I'm feeling very refreshed and on decent food for a change. My diet helps with my mood, to want to walk (even in pain).
    I can see a brighter walking future, thanks to @Guzzler's encouragement too. :) :) :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. Contralto

Contralto Other · Expert

that is just downright inspiring!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

I'm so thankful to @Viv0147 for posting this. :) :) :)
    I will definitely keep it in mind now. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. exjersey

exjersey Type 2 · Newbie

Well done. My leg pains I have been putting down to my arthritis, but maybe it's my T2D!
    I'm trying not to take metformin even though the DNs seem determined to put me on it!
    I have lost over 10% of my original weight on the HFLC diet, so hope this will help. My walking is so bad and painful at the moment, I've started to think I need motorized help

• Hug Hug x 3
  10. exjersey

exjersey Type 2 · Newbie

I didn't know T2D could affect legs. Mine are so painful I'm thinking of buying some kind of motorized walking aid.

• Hug Hug x 1
  11. Clase

Clase Type 2 · Member

12. Clase

Clase Type 2 · Member

Good morning everyone.
    Very well done. The walk on the prom sounds brilliant and a real reward for all your hard work! I once heard exercise, particularly walking, described as WD40 for the joints!
    I went Nordic walking on Wednesday after a long lay off after falling down some stairs. It felt brilliant!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Rhino54

Rhino54 Prediabetes · Newbie

Well done. This is the most inspirational post I have read. I live near the sea and in a first floor flat I am going to try and follow your wise action. Thank you for posting this.

I live alone in an upstairs flat I knew if something bad happened I would have to move out of my flat which I love, and my prospects of a good life were going to go down the drain! It frightened me so much I changed my lifestyle, and after doing quite a lot of research I decided to go on a low carb high-fat diet without exercise because of the pain.
    Well move on 3 years diabetes has reversed, I am no longer on medication and at the age of 70 (11stone 12 Lbs), I walk along the promenade 1.2 miles every morning without any pain weather permitting breathing in the sea air. If not I have a mini exercise bike so I do 30 minutes on that while watching the telly lol I really hope this story will encourage whoever is feeling a bit down you can beat diabetes! Effort yes, without doubt, rewards wonderful. Good Luck[/QUOTE]

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook