THE PLEASURE OF BEING ABLE TO WALK

Viv0147

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
there isn't much I dislike maybe rude and aggressive people
It was only 3 years ago that to be able to walk without pain was impossible 20 yards and then the pain set in, I would have to stop and rest then try to go a little further before the pain set in.
I was suffering from (diabetes 2) I am a male I was 17 Stone 3 Lbs aged 67 years and the fear of amputation and losing my sight became very real!
I live alone in an upstairs flat I knew if something bad happened I would have to move out of my flat which I love, and my prospects of a good life were going to go down the drain! It frightened me so much I changed my lifestyle, and after doing quite a lot of research I decided to go on a low carb high-fat diet without exercise because of the pain.
Well move on 3 years diabetes has reversed, I am no longer on medication and at the age of 70 (11stone 12 Lbs), I walk along the promenade 1.2 miles every morning without any pain weather permitting breathing in the sea air. If not I have a mini exercise bike so I do 30 minutes on that while watching the telly lol I really hope this story will encourage whoever is feeling a bit down you can beat diabetes! Effort yes, without doubt, rewards wonderful. Good Luck

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
It was only 3 years ago that to be able to walk without pain was impossible 20 yards and then the pain set in, I would have to stop and rest then try to go a little further before the pain set in.
I was suffering from (diabetes 2) I am a male I was 17 Stone 3 Lbs aged 67 years and the fear of amputation and losing my sight became very real!
I live alone in an upstairs flat I knew if something bad happened I would have to move out of my flat which I love, and my prospects of a good life were going to go down the drain! It frightened me so much I changed my lifestyle, and after doing quite a lot of research I decided to go on a low carb high-fat diet without exercise because of the pain.
Well move on 3 years diabetes has reversed, I am no longer on medication and at the age of 70 (11stone 12 Lbs), I walk along the promenade 1.2 miles every morning without any pain weather permitting breathing in the sea air. If not I have a mini exercise bike so I do 30 minutes on that while watching the telly lol I really hope this story will encourage whoever is feeling a bit down you can beat diabetes! Effort yes, without doubt, rewards wonderful. Good Luck
Yes. An inspiration.
I'm starting to lose mine.
Going into 4th year of very poor mobility.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m with you there Viv, osteoarthritis was stopping me walk much until my diabetes diagnosis a year ago. I embarked on low carb eating for my diabetes but have lost a load of weight too. My weight bearing joints have benefitted immensely but my neck and fingers have too, I think due to the anti inflammatory effect of my diet.
EDIT for typo.

Last edited:

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What can we say other than WOW!!!! You are an absolute star, I really do love hearing stories like yours, they should grab you to give talks to newly diagnosed diabetics.

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Very good news. I was reading a rather sweet article yesterday that described diet and exercise as being medicine for blood vessels, and how exercise was like taking the lid of the medicine bottle.

I think I can hear your blood vessels purring with delight, as you walk along the promenade.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Excellent as ever to see you posting, @Viv0147 . I'm so glad you are continuing the enjoy the widescale benefits of your new way of living. If the BBC are to be believed, we should be looking forward to a decent summer.

Well done again, and don't be a stranger. :)

Reactions: ickihun

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
What a great story to share @Viv0147 There are so many benefits to regular exercise, pulled a few direct off Google, but includes increased life expectancy, improved lung capacity as well as:
  • Control Your Weight.
  • Reduce Your Risk of Cardiovascular Disease.
  • Reduce your risk of Type 2 Diabetes and Metabolic Syndrome.
  • Reduce Your Risk of Some Cancers.
  • Strengthen Your Bones and Muscles.
  • Improve Your Mental Health and Mood.
  • Improve Your Ability to do Daily Activities and Prevent Falls.

Reactions: shelley262

ObscureMH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Brilliant @Viv0147 I'm sure that will serve as inspiration to lots of people. Thanks for sharing. (A bit jealous that you get to walk along a promenade every day. Beats my 1.6 miles round trip to train station :))

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Swimming may be a better option if walking gives pain.
Yes.
Mind u what a shock I got getting out of the pool. I was heavy as lead and even heavier wet. I will return to swimming 3 times a week once I can walk more. Walking into and out of the building to home has to be possible... Well for me, first.

Last edited:

liarsdance

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations! Such a heartwarming and inspiring account and I'm so happy for you