Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
I bought some summer bulbs and tubers today and instead of leaving it till later to plant them I got on with it and got them all planted this afternoon

Hopefully the rewards will be nice

D

debrasue

I bought some summer bulbs and tubers today and instead of leaving it till later to plant them I got on with it and got them all planted this afternoon

Hopefully the rewards will be nice
I'll bet they'll look amazing, and hopefully you'll post some pictures of them to spread the joy when they bloom! :):):)

D

debrasue

It's a beautiful Spring morning here in S Glos - the sort of day that makes you feel glad to be alive! The sun is shining, the sky is blue, the birds are twittering in the hedgerows and flowers are blooming all around.
And I've been browsing through the forum and marvelling at the amazing bunch of people who take the time to post their thoughts here. It's a humbling experience to hear about the suffering which some members endure on a daily basis, but it's also incredibly uplifting to see how they are always ready to offer support, encouragement and advice to other members, despite their own pain and troubles.
You guys really are a wonderful group of people, and I feel very privileged to be part of a community which cares so much and actively demonstrates how the power of positivity works on a daily basis.
:):):):):)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Went for a quick walk this afternoon... saw a chap tidying his front garden. First time I'd seen him.
Shouted across that I lovdd his hellebores.
He asked if I wanted some.
So an hour later I returned with him with loads of hellebores and snowdrops and miscanthus!
Did a swop for a saracocca that he had never heard of or smelt.

Met someone totally new and a lovely chap just from admiring his garden and being brave enough to say so.

Some lovely people.. gardeners and dog walkers are always the friendliest of people!!

I am so grateful for being bold enough to say hello and give admiration to others!!

D

debrasue

Went for a quick walk this afternoon... saw a chap tidying his front garden. First time I'd seen him.
Shouted across that I lovdd his hellebores.
He asked if I wanted some.
So an hour later I returned with him with loads of hellebores and snowdrops and miscanthus!
Did a swop for a saracocca that he had never heard of or smelt.

Met someone totally new and a lovely chap just from admiring his garden and being brave enough to say so.

Some lovely people.. gardeners and dog walkers are always the friendliest of people!!

I am so grateful for being bold enough to say hello and give admiration to others!!
And spreading a little of your own sunshine, no doubt. I'll bet he was just as pleased to meet you!
:):):)

Reactions: Cumberland

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
Hi @Contralto

I'm not sure I can do the subject of mindfulness justice in a few words, but I'll try. It's hard to explain because the exercises involve changing the way we look at the world in order to focus on what's happening right now. We naturally think about the past and all the things that are going to happen in the future: we often give little attention to the present moment.

It's noticeable when we do focus on the present, perhaps when we're so busy on one task that we shut everything else out (don't hear people talking, the phone ringing immediately or whatever). It's what sports people try to achieve when they talk about "being in the zone".

What's this to do with pain? Firstly, we have to let go of why we're ill, what caused it, what we could/should have done to avoid it, why we didn't deserve it etc - that's all in the past. Secondly, we have to ignore the future: how our illness may get worse, pain may increase, treatments may fail, complications may develop - all things that may/may not occur. Our focus has to be on this moment in time (which could include pain right now).

I've found the audio tracks from the book/course on the web on SoundCloud.com - search for "Mindfulness for health". Here's the link to the first one "The body scan" to give you an example: https://m.soundcloud.com/r-tamuranovait/mindfulness-for-health-the-2

This should help you relax and make you aware of your body, but it won't help your pain. This next one "Compassionate acceptance" is designed to help you accept your pain with kindness and compassion: https://m.soundcloud.com/r-tamuranovait/mindfulness-for-health-the-5

Other exercises are as simple as making a drink of tea/coffee as you normally do, but actually pay attention to what you do, during each step of the process. Something so simple that we do everyday on auto-pilot means we normally think about other things, so this time, focus on the making the drink only. Assuming you're using a kettle, watch it simmer then, boil; watch the steam begin to rise from the spout and see if it makes patterns in the air.

Another exercise to get you to focus is simply to sit outside and watch the clouds go by. It's hard not to daydream as our minds naturally want to wander.

The course teaches that you can control your mind AND your mind can control your pain (to an extent), and it details the science to support this. Basically, my understanding is that with chronic pain we get stuck in a "feedback loop" where the inflammation or whatever generates pain signals to our brain; our brain responds to the pain, but whereas a cut or a burn will eventually recover, the chronic inflammation etc keeps signalling more pain. Our brain eventually comes to expect this chronic pain and this expectation makes it worse than the original pain. You can train your mind to focus on the pain and effectively "turn it down" (but not turn it off).

I was sceptical, but it has helped me.

For clarity: I have no links to the book's authors: there are hundreds of books on mindfulness, this was recommended to me and it's specifically for pain relief.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
At hotel and relaxed...

Positivity:
1st time long distance of 40 miles by self.
1st time in 18 months I have now got some courage to go to two important appointments by myself.
Mobiles!! Hubby will ring me at 4am and 6am to do my jabs!! !!
Hotel brilliant. Had 2 gorgeous walks around the grounds today.
Bath in hotel was wonderful scalding hot water!!

Feeling calm and brought my 2017 positive journal to do tonight to keep me occupied.

4 hospital appts this week.
One down, two tomorrow and my final one back here with hubby on Friday.

Positive... I am the first at my hosputal to get a Guardian Connect Sensor at my afternoon apot tomorrow!!!

Everything so far is +++!!!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
All went well!

Positive is that I managed everything by myself!!

I now am the official first patient to have the new Guardian Connect CGM from my hospital! All connected up and its going to make my life so much better.

It was also a lovely hotel. The best...

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
That is good news S What's going to be your next challenge?

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
Well done @donnellysdogs

Today I was feeling fit and well, the sun was shining, I'm able to finish work early, so I took my dog for a long walk (by my standards): I felt it did it us both good!

Reactions: donnellysdogs

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
I'm celebrating lower BGs again after two days of intense effort, upped my exercise - walked 8.5 miles on one of my afternoon walks then for 4 miles on second afternoon. Fasted yesterday, one bowl of clear soup plus water and tea - voila! fbg 4.9 today and dropping bgs yesterday. I think that I've found a solution for the days that I can't eat low carb. I know from past years that meds aren't the answer for my type 2 and not anywhere as effective as diet so, hurrah! I feel positive about dealing with the IBD alongside my type 2 again. And I'm meeting my best friend for coffee today also. Yaay!
Happy Thursday everyone

D

debrasue

At hotel and relaxed...

Positivity:
1st time long distance of 40 miles by self.
1st time in 18 months I have now got some courage to go to two important appointments by myself.
Mobiles!! Hubby will ring me at 4am and 6am to do my jabs!! !!
Hotel brilliant. Had 2 gorgeous walks around the grounds today.
Bath in hotel was wonderful scalding hot water!!

Feeling calm and brought my 2017 positive journal to do tonight to keep me occupied.

4 hospital appts this week.
One down, two tomorrow and my final one back here with hubby on Friday.

Positive... I am the first at my hosputal to get a Guardian Connect Sensor at my afternoon apot tomorrow!!!

Everything so far is +++!!!
Well done - what an amazing exercise in positivity! :):):):):)

D

debrasue

I'm celebrating lower BGs again after two days of intense effort, upped my exercise - walked 8.5 miles on one of my afternoon walks then for 4 miles on second afternoon. Fasted yesterday, one bowl of clear soup plus water and tea - voila! fbg 4.9 today and dropping bgs yesterday. I think that I've found a solution for the days that I can't eat low carb. I know from past years that meds aren't the answer for my type 2 and not anywhere as effective as diet so, hurrah! I feel positive about dealing with the IBD alongside my type 2 again. And I'm meeting my best friend for coffee today also. Yaay!
Happy Thursday everyone
Have a lovely time, Anna! xx