The Pros and cons of statins.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
June Davison, cardiac nurse at the British Heart Foundation, said: "We already know that a small number of people taking statins experience unwanted side effects.

"However, for people with, or at high risk of heart disease, the benefits of statins far outweigh this risk.

I think this would apply for most people with diabetes since diabetes is an independent risk factor for CVD and the risk of mortality from a coronary event is unfortunately far higher in people with diabetes than non diabetics
This review (a bit technical in parts) looks at the research on Diabetes from 1998-2008 on diabetes and lipids.
It definitely comes down on the side of statins for almost all people with diabetes.
[url=http://www.nature.com/nrendo/...w.nature.com/nrendo/journal/v5 ... et1066.pdf[/url]

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I think I will sit on the fence with this one, until they are offered to me I am unsure whether I would take them or not. I usually respect my gp's advice, and go-along with his recommendations, but reading the bad publicity about statins does make me think overwise! :?

It would seem by what members have said in previous posts about statins that gp's routinely offer/prescribe statins to just about everyone with diabetes, I have never been told I should take them at any diabetes review, has anyone else never been offered statins?

Nigel

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
noblehead said:
has anyone else never been offered statins?
My cholestrol shot up from 4.6 to 5.6 over 3 months - my DSN said "we will try and get it down with diet/exersise - come back in 3 months if it's still over 5 there is some drugs you can take but you don't have to" - went back was 5.1 so she said - lets keep trying - has given me another 3 months and I am trying the benacol drinks - thats the nearest I have been to being offered statins

kateincornwall

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who lie , animal cruelty , boredom and pineapple !
I took Crestor statin and reduced my total cholesterol from 6.8 to 3.7 . I then decided to come off them with my Docs approval and only two months later , had another blood test and the cholesterol had gone up to 6.5 with high trigs despite me eating a very healthy diet with not a lot of fat . Doc now says I probably have Familial Hypercholesterolemia as my Mother also had high numbers and so I have gone back onto them at a low dose of 10mg per day which is not causing any side effects that I am aware of . I have blood tests every few months to check on liver function and once more, the cholesterol level has plumetted , I guess its a bit of a lottery, what suits one wont necessarily suit others.