"The Rebuilder" - Electronic Foot Treatment Unit...

robin100145

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is there anyone who belongs to the Forum who knows anything about a new electronic device called "The Rebuilder" ? I very recently heard tell of this unit from some friends who live in Canada who came over to the UK for a visit. The story goes that an emminent Dr Phillips, with a Diabetic Wife, has invented a small portable device that emits an electronic nerve signal of some sort that helps to rebuild, or re-open, the nerve connections in the feet, and so counter the bad aching feeling and burning sensations that diabetics can get in their feet. He apparently got the inspiration from looking at a Tens Unit, but has gone back to the drawing board to come up with something quite different in the way it works. There doesn't appear to be anything on the internet from the UK that I can find, but there is a very positive reference to its use through the "Mayo Clinic" site in the states. I just wondered if there was anyone who could shed any light on, what by all accounts, is a quite remarkable little machine, if it really does what it says. I for one would really like to get my hands on one and give it a try.... Robin

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It isn't a new device and is from the US .
Google turns up a lot of clever advertising but also,in my opinion , reasons why I would be very careful before I parted with my money.
Here are just two.
A clinical neurologists view on the device and explanations given on the website. It is quite old dating back to 2008 .
http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/rec ... h-devices/
I also found this assessment for one of the US insurance companies dated Dec 2011

The FDA approval is for the symptomatic relief of chronic intractable pain, post-traumatic and post-surgical pain relief, relaxation of muscle spasms, prevention or retardation of disuse atrophy, increasing local blood circulation, muscle reeducation, immediate post-surgical stimulation of calf muscles to prevent venous thrombosis, and maintaining or increasing range of motions. The FDA has written warning letters to manufacturer of ReBuilder against marketing the device for any off-label indications, including peripheral neuropathy
http://www.ghc.org/all-sites/clinical/c ... uilder.pdf

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
I suggest you first consult your GP before making any decisions. I asked my GP before considering something similar to assist in lower leg circulation and he almost read the riot act to me. It did get me another set of physio sessions again though :D

robin100145

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Re: "The Rebuilder" - Electronic Foot Treatment Unit...

Thanks to all who have replied. I guess my friend from Canada who suggested I look at this did paint a fairly rosy picture of its capabilities. I will certainly try and find out more about it before doing anything rash! Robin.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App