The Ultimate....

T1Dad

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Fast forward 10 years to 2026 and could we see a device that combines a 100% accurate CGM, Tubeless Pump, AP Algorithm. So this would be one small tubeless device that can contain concentrated insulin (maybe a glucagon store as well) and possibly even last 7 days at a time before change...

Oh, but am I dreaming...I'm allowed to dream right?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Ah fabulous dream - mine would be in one year please :)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My dream is a cure - either 'neutral' or encapsulated islet cells that don't require anti-rejection drugs, or a safe way to regenerate our own islets.

Much as I love my pump, I wouldnt miss it for one second if there was a proper cure :)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I like to look at this two ways. A cure (which I still see as miles off and coming in two phases) and the automated management system, which I think the open source community will get to in about two years, with the commercial products not far behind. There's already a patent out for the combined sensor/cannula. The same company makes a tubeless pump which can be controlled via an iPhone app. Not too much work, then, to link that up with something like Loop, an AP app that can manage it.

My only question would be what you mean by 100% accurate for CGM. They're pretty close to that already, for the fluid that they read glucose in. What they aren't is a 100% analogue for blood glucose levels. That's the one bit of your crystal ball gazing that I think will see some of the largest changes. I don't think we're too far from CGM systems that are non-invasive. There's a lot of work going on there.

Faster insulin and Liver targeted insulins will speed up the time frame in which insulin acts, making auto sensing algorithms (which are already out there in the open source community) function effectively. The advent of longer life Glucagon will allow for dual chamber pumps. Who knows, they may even get Amylin into one of these and give us a full electronic beta cell stand in.

On the cure front, they'll work out how to stop the onset soon after diagnosis earliest. This will give respite to those who are diagnosed and they will be able to regenerate beta cells.

Those with longer term diabetes will also be administered the auto immune attack blocker. Some will recover some beta cell function. Some won't. Those who won't will need stem cell or implant therapy.

Just my two penneth!

Reactions: T1Dad
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Ah fabulous dream - mine would be in one year please :)

Nothing wrong with dreams, it gives so many hope, I would like to think that a 'eureka' moment will happen one day in the future, but it wont be in my life time, so hoping for all the young ones now and those who are diagnosed in the future to benefit.

Reactions: T1Dad

T1Dad

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Great write up @tim2000s. I'm really interested in all this technology as like you, I think the 'cure' is quite a way off :banghead::banghead:

A non-invasive CGM with a low MARD would be absolutely fantastic. Maybe something like a plaster. I did hear once that Google amongst others are trying to get in on this....which would be great. There is some kind of contact lens CGM in development also but that does not appeal to me too much for my daughter. Could be life changing for others though.

Immunotherapy is the what interests me at the moment in terms of a cure. Why can't we just re-train the immune system to stop attacking healthy cells??? I know....I know it is super complex. This is why I will be pushing my younger non-diabetic child into this line of research :cool::cool:

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
a low MARD
MARD is an interesting one. Mainly because, once you get below 10% you get diminishing returns on your improvements. When the error is 10%, it's still good enough to bolus from. As it drops below 10, it is on;y slightly better, due to the vagaries of exogenous insulin linked to absorption, sites, effects on liver, etc.