The Usual...Leftover Turkey

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Please does anyone have a recipe or suggestion as to what I can do with leftover turkey? It's only breast meat because I bought a boneless crown but can't eat anymore, lol. I really fancy a curry but can't find a suitable, simple low carb recipe. Thanks :)

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
equivelant to 4 chicken breasts
60g natural yogurt
2 table spoons of curry paste
3 cloves garlic
1 thumb size piece or 1 tablespoon or grated ginger or ground works too
1 teaspoon of garam masala
half teaspoon tumeric
juice from half a lemon
half a teaspoon of ground cumin

mix all together in a bowl

chop up the turkey and let it all soak in and then stir fry it, i usually use raw chicken so i guess youd have to stir fry it less time

i wonder what would happen if you cooked the sauce then added the turkey at the last minute as its pre cooked

i serve it on shredded lettuce and raw chopped red onion with the other half of the lemon juice then tossed together then just dump the curry on top, its yummy and i dont see why it wouldnt work with turkey, never counted the carbs but dosent look like it would be many at all

hope i spelt the ingredients right :)

if it dosent work well try it with the chicken

oh and scale it down if your using less meat than 4 breasts of chicken

hope thats helpful :)

Reactions: 2 people

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
60g natural yogurt
3 cloves garlic
half teaspoon tumeric
juice from half a lemon

chop up the turkey and let it all soak in and then stir fry it, i usually use raw chicken so i guess youd have to stir fry it less time

i wonder what would happen if you cooked the sauce then added the turkey at the last minute as its pre cooked

i serve it on shredded lettuce and raw chopped red onion with the other half of the lemon juice then tossed together then just dump the curry on top, its yummy and i dont see why it wouldnt work with turkey, never counted the carbs but dosent look like it would be many at all

Oh Andy, that's just what I needed. It sounds fab! Thankyou lots :)

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Nothing like a 'Dinosaur' Ruby murray with plenty of red Chilli to give you a 'Megasaur-****' the next morning eh? :D

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
But seriously-leftover meats are smashing to turn into a curry with store cupboard ingredients-I just have to do my own as my family won't eat anything hotter than a Korma! {Sob}

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have really got into ginger as a flavour in curry. It was since I found a jar of ginger (paste, mince?) in B &M in the herbs and spices. Goes great in any curry or stir fry. As for chillies, fresh, dried, jars, I wouldn't be without them.
Anyone tried chipotle, smoked chili, not for currys, but great for a bbq chili taste, I had it in the sausage pattie tonight.
(And obviously low fat crème freche in a curry eh, andy)

Seriously, try the chipotle with a red meat andy, if you haven't already.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Don't know if you caught the edit there, but you'll love chipotle if you missed it.

B

badcat

the recipe i use for making curry is

1) combine the following in in a food processor to make a loose paste

i bunch coriander
1 onion
2 Tbs curry paste ( i like Pataks tikka masala or rogan josh best)
3 cloves garlic
1 knob of peeled ginger ( about 2 tsp grated)
1 chilli
juice of 1 lemon
3-4 tomatoes
1 Tbsp tomato puree

2) fry the paste and 1 chopped onion in 1-2 Tbsp coconut oil
3) Add whatever meat or veg you're basing the curry on, fry for a few mins the add some water ( enough to stop it sticking and to create a thikish sauce)
4) simmer, add more lemon juice to taste and serve with more chopped resh coriander on top

out of a batch that size, 4 of us had lamb curry, chicken and spinach curry and cauliflower curry for christmas dinner - not your traditional christmas fare but bloody nice!

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
I have really got into ginger as a flavour in curry. It was since I found a jar of ginger (paste, mince?) in B &M in the herbs and spices. Goes great in any curry or stir fry. As for chillies, fresh, dried, jars, I wouldn't be without them.
Anyone tried chipotle, smoked chili, not for currys, but great for a bbq chili taste, I had it in the sausage pattie tonight.
(And obviously low fat crème freche in a curry eh, andy)

Seriously, try the chipotle with a red meat andy, if you haven't already.
Ginger is one of my favourites. I add it to almost everything. It's nice as a herbal drink, hot in winter and chilled over ice in summer.
Not too sure about chipotle tho' . Think I ate some once and took the skin off the roof of my mouth, lol, but thanks for the suggestions.

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
the recipe i use for making curry is

1) combine the following in in a food processor to make a loose paste

i bunch coriander
1 onion
2 Tbs curry paste ( i like Pataks tikka masala or rogan josh best)
3 cloves garlic
1 knob of peeled ginger ( about 2 tsp grated)
1 chilli
juice of 1 lemon
3-4 tomatoes
1 Tbsp tomato puree

2) fry the paste and 1 chopped onion in 1-2 Tbsp coconut oil
3) Add whatever meat or veg you're basing the curry on, fry for a few mins the add some water ( enough to stop it sticking and to create a thikish sauce)
4) simmer, add more lemon juice to taste and serve with more chopped resh coriander on top

out of a batch that size, 4 of us had lamb curry, chicken and spinach curry and cauliflower curry for christmas dinner - not your traditional christmas fare but bloody nice!
Ooo, another recipe! Thank you :) I often add fresh coriander to salad leaves as an extra, and unexpected flavour.

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
60g natural yogurt
3 cloves garlic
half teaspoon tumeric
juice from half a lemon

:)I am stuffed! I made a left over turkey curry using Andy's recipe, to which I added 50g each of creme fraiche and double cream plus enough water to turn it into a thick sauce. Added some cooked turkey chunks and simmered it for about 15 mins.... Served with cauli mash, YUM!

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Managed to avoid turkey this year, we bought a goose and had that instead, the leftovers were reheated in a garlic and hoisin stir fry sauce and allowed to cool til it was just warm, the thrown over a salad of leaves, spring onions and cucumber batons with an asian vinnagrette made from rice vinegar, a small amount of honey and toasted sesame oil. I cant remember which restaurant I stole the idea from but it tasted great. Cant see why it would not work for turkey too, I usually do it with duck breasts thinly sliced.

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Managed to avoid turkey this year, we bought a goose and had that instead, the leftovers were reheated in a garlic and hoisin stir fry sauce and allowed to cool til it was just warm, the thrown over a salad of leaves, spring onions and cucumber batons with an asian vinnagrette made from rice vinegar, a small amount of honey and toasted sesame oil. I cant remember which restaurant I stole the idea from but it tasted great. Cant see why it would not work for turkey too, I usually do it with duck breasts thinly sliced.
Sounds delicious. Think I'll try it with one of the bags of left over turkey which is now frozen. I don't do goose or duck. Purely sentimental, illogical reasons, I spend too much time studying and photographing them! :)

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Sounds delicious. Think I'll try it with one of the bags of left over turkey which is now frozen. I don't do goose or duck. Purely sentimental, illogical reasons, I spend too much time studying and photographing them! :)

im illogical about meat, i cant eat meat that looks or looked like the animal when i saw it, i eat chicken but cant look at it until its sliced lol, lamb cant be a leg with the bone because it looks like a leg of a baby sheep lol beef is good because it dosent look anything like a cow, id be vegetarian if i didnt love meat so much

Reactions: 4 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hehe lets hope we are never the last two survivors washed up on the beach of a tropical island inhabited by goats lol, although coconut is nice :)