1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Therapeutic Intermittent Fasting

Discussion in 'Fasting' started by Indy51, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

2. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

Well I'm certainly more tired now I am doing IF (and keto), but if it helps me to lose weight that's fine. I've been tired for most of the last 25 years, so a few more months won't make any difference.

• Hug Hug x 1
  3. Lamont D

Lamont D Reactive hypoglycemia · Master

Indeed, interesting, but in my case and of course the need for supplements is totally unnecessary and dangerous.
    If you overdo the supplements, you will of course get symptoms.
    The standard medical advice for Hypoglycaemia is to eat small and often to prevent the hypos, but some of us have found that fasting is beneficial in so many ways, not having to eat is the main reason and not cooking, planning, shopping for those missed meals throughout the day. It also helps in what I would call your 'default' natural state. It saves money as a bonus!
    Keeping your blood glucose levels in normal levels is really good for your health, not having the symptoms is as good as any treatment, not having the mental issues that occur with hypers and hypos. My brain works better when I don't eat, so in my case, the hypothesis that your brain function is deprived is totally inaccurate. Having enough glucose for brain function is not dependent on how often or how much you eat. I have not found any research that corroborates that statement.
    The body, for everyone works differently in ketosis, even if you are weird like me. The difference is that it is dependent on what other conditions you have with your endocrine system imbalance in your hormonal response to food.
    As is often said, we are individual and having a hypothetical question about intermittent fasting without research is just these doctors opinions, and again, the need for this website would be redundant if these doctors weren't trained in how low carb dietary management of endocrine conditions can be so beneficial!

Not bad for a old age pensioner, been up since five, working eight hours, didn't eat till five pm. And felt great all day with plenty of energy!
    And yes, I'm not tired!

• Winner Winner x 3
  4. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

Not so tired now! Someone pointed out that I might just need some salt. It worked. :)
    I have lost 16 pounds in 28 days. I love keto. :)

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Lamont D

Lamont D Reactive hypoglycemia · Master

Go girl!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook