They are Playing "NICELY" with Dr Unwin

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dr Unwin is amazing.

I received am email te NICE guidelines being updated. I tried to register to voice my opinion but only open to organisations it seems. Gutted!

NICE has launched a two-week series of consultations on updates to its guidelines covering type 1, type 2, diabetes in children and management of feet in diabetes.

Four separate public consultations opened on Thursday, 25 April, and will run until Wednesday, 8 May.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I was listening to the same podcast last night. The infographic is such a clear, simple tool it begs the question why a committee of boffins couldn't have come up with something similar a long, long time ago.
And the answer? Because these boffins are no longer used to working with real people in the real world, that's why.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dr Unwin is amazing.

I received am email te NICE guidelines being updated. I tried to register to voice my opinion but only open to organisations it seems. Gutted!

NICE has launched a two-week series of consultations on updates to its guidelines covering type 1, type 2, diabetes in children and management of feet in diabetes.

Four separate public consultations opened on Thursday, 25 April, and will run until Wednesday, 8 May.

Debandez, do you have a link to the consultative document?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was listening to the same podcast last night. The infographic is such a clear, simple tool it begs the question why a committee of boffins couldn't have come up with something similar a long, long time ago.
And the answer? Because these boffins are no longer used to working with real people in the real world, that's why.
Got to say much as I admire Dr Unwin and his goals, I personally find these graphics more confusing than helpful. Why does it all need comparing back to a teaspoon of sugar? And why are gi and gl on there? where does the random 120g portion size come from?

I find the simple per 100g (%) listing the simplest and most flexible measure but then I guess the more tools in the box that get the low carb message across, especially within the nhs, the better.

Reactions: Debandez

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Got to say much as I admire Dr Unwin and his goals, I personally find these graphics more confusing than helpful. Why does it all need comparing back to a teaspoon of sugar? And why are gi and gl on there? where does the random 120g portion size come from?

I find the simple per 100g (%) listing the simplest and most flexible measure but then I guess the more tools in the box that get the low carb message across, especially within the nhs, the better.

Dr Unwin adopted this approach because his patients could identify with a spoonful of sugar, whereas gramms of carbs meant little. It's easy to visualise a pile of sugar, but less easy to visualise a carb.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

I think it goes something like this, we learn that under normal circumstances that there's roughly a teaspoon of sugar (4-5g) in the body at one time. So using the teaspoon method one can easily visualise doubling or tripling that amount by having a bicky or a cuppa or both. This quick ref then makes counting carbs a concept even easier to understand. For example, I used this to point out just how much sugar there is in a can of Monster to my son, he got it straight away. I did not have to explain or use unfamiliar terms, he just got it.

As to GI/GL imo it is superfluous to those of us with T2, a bit like counting calories again just imo.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree, a teaspoon of sugar is instantly recognisable to everyone, and everyone knows that sugar is bad for diabetes. Not everyone knows what a carb is, never mind how many grams there are in a particular food.

I also agree the GI/GL concept is irrelevant to T2s. It never worked for me.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah I acknowledge it works for some, maybe most actually and I’m the exception - but then I’m not a visual thinker at all (aphantasic in fact). And as I said whatever works is good!

My only hesitation is it may perpetuate the myth it’s only sugar that diabetics need be concerned about rather than educating people that it’s all carbs.

Reactions: Caeseji

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yeah I acknowledge it works for some, maybe most actually and I’m the exception - but then I’m not a visual thinker at all (aphantasic in fact). And as I said whatever works is good!

My only hesitation is it may perpetuate the myth it’s only sugar that diabetics need be concerned about rather than educating people that it’s all carbs.

I agree wholeheartedly about using the word sugar instead of glucose but this too can be explained in very simplified terms. I have always found it easier to learn a new concept through analogy, plots and graphs leave me cold and to this day when I'm viewing lectures that arn't even moderately techy I still have to wait for the summing up. We all learn in different ways and although being patronised is one of my pet hates I do think that at diagnosis to speak to the most simple idea is best.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Debandez, do you have a link to the consultative document?
It includes a list of the permitted stakeholders who are allowed to respond - the rest of us can only send views to any of those that appear or request an addition.