Thickening Sauces

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wonder if anyone can help. I would like to make a low carb chicken pie. I have found a recipe for low carb pastry made with almond flour which I can use but my problem is what can I use to thicken the sauce? Any low carb suggestions would be really appreciated. Thank you

Reactions: Aly67

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also interested in this. What about using almond flour to thicken the sauce? Or cream?

Not tried either but feel like they might work.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have three suggestions, ground flaxseed, I use that to thicken gravy so might work in your pie, or cream or puréed cauliflower?

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
Apparently you can use puréed cauliflower, cream cheese, psyllium husk, chia seeds. I've also heard of using guar gum and xanthan gum, but haven't tried it yet. Internet indicates you need to be careful to only add a pinch or two at time as they can quickly turn your sauce into a gelatinous, slick mess.

Personally, I would try psyllium husk as it has no flavor and absorbs a lot of liquid. Start small, 1/4-1/2 tsp., let it sit for 5-10 minutes.

Last edited:

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for all the ideas so far. They have certainly given me lots of ideas to think about. I have xanthum gum but hadn't thought of it at all. :)

hels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don’t use coconut flour to thicken a cheese sauce - I tried it and it tasted rank!

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@hels thanks for the info. I have used coconut flour in baking but I find it outflavours all the other ingredients.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have used xantham gum and agar agar as it's heat stable - if you make the filling with a touch of double cream reducing it will thicken it - you don't need it swimming in it just enough to coat it - this is how I would make a pie anyway even pre low carb days

kikiwg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
ive used pureed cauliflower but with engervita yeast flakes added to thicken

Grangetop_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wonder if anyone can help. I would like to make a low carb chicken pie. I have found a recipe for low carb pastry made with almond flour which I can use but my problem is what can I use to thicken the sauce? Any low carb suggestions would be really appreciated. Thank you

I use Teff Flour....

It has more calcium than any other grain, is a complete protein, is the size of a poppy seed, is the only ancient grain (or seed) to contain Vitamin C, is completely gluten and grain-free, and is rich in iron, magnesium, Vitamin B6, fiber, and protein. Meet teff – the Ethiopian superfood that you just have to try!3 Nov 2014

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow there are some really new ideas in the replies. Thank you

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I make a lot of curries and use grated onion to start which is gently fried in butter. You can blitz it in your mini chopper if you have one. I find this translates well for most savoury dishes. You get the great flavour and thickening all in one!

Reactions: DJC3

CoastGirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I make a chicken pie I add a tub of mascarpone to the cooked chicken and leek along with a couple tablespoons of boiling water, half a beaten egg and some mustard. This seems to work very well.

Reactions: DJC3