1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

THINGS DIABETES HAS TAUGHT ME!?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by IceLover, Feb 21, 2017.

1. IceLover

IceLover Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Having diabetes isn't fun at all honestly but im actually so grateful for what diabetes has taught me for the past 4 years living with it. Diabetes has taught me:
    1) to have patience and that things may take a while
    2) to be more sympathetic as now i know how others genuinely feel when they have a chronic illness even if it isn't the same as mine.
    What has having diabetes taught you?

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. nmr1991

nmr1991 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Bringing you closer to what death feels like, whether it be very low blood sugar or very high, as when you're at a high like 35mmol/l you feel like your blood is like syrup, and you struggle to get up the stairs and the legs start to feel numb. What i haven't told you is this happens nearly all the time.

3. Mbaker

Mbaker Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

@IceLover great post. Continuing in your mode, it taught me:
    1. Don't put off what you can do today (I kept saying for years I was going to get back into training)
    2. Diabetes is not a one size fits all condition i.e. what works for me may not work for you
    3. "We" have to take responsibility for food choices as governments behave toothlessly for economic reasons.
    4. You can take a horse to water, but you can't make it drink - I have been astonished by some choices I see other type 2's make at networking events, who have been type 2 a lot longer than me.
    5. Health is more important than money
    6. There is plenty of food in supermarkets I can eat, at first I thought it was just a few items
    7. I have learned to cook more
    8. LCHF dampens hunger
    9. Establishments try to silence those who have seen the light like Tim Noakes
    10. Societies treat the symptoms rather than trying to cure (type 2)
    11. Priorities such as CGM's for Type 1's and free testing strips for Type 2's using diet are having to be fought over
    I could go on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

To appreciate life all the more.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Type1Bri

Type1Bri Type 1 · Well-Known Member

6. yingtong

yingtong Type 1 · Well-Known Member

To look forward and not back.

7. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

The carb values of a wide range of food!

• Winner Winner x 2
  8. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

That we're lucky that our condition, although serious, is almost totally manageable thru our lives. So many other conditions can only partially managed or even not at all

9. mo53

mo53 Type 2 · Expert

@Mbaker thank you for an excellent post which stated so many truisms. And yes @Diakat I totally agree. I've learned now from my own experience the difficulties of controlling blood sugar and now appreciate my mothers problems when she wasn't diagnosed until her 80s.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook