THINGS DIABETES HAS TAUGHT ME!?

IceLover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Having diabetes isn't fun at all honestly but im actually so grateful for what diabetes has taught me for the past 4 years living with it. Diabetes has taught me:
1) to have patience and that things may take a while
2) to be more sympathetic as now i know how others genuinely feel when they have a chronic illness even if it isn't the same as mine.
What has having diabetes taught you?

nmr1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Bringing you closer to what death feels like, whether it be very low blood sugar or very high, as when you're at a high like 35mmol/l you feel like your blood is like syrup, and you struggle to get up the stairs and the legs start to feel numb. What i haven't told you is this happens nearly all the time.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
@IceLover great post. Continuing in your mode, it taught me:
  1. Don't put off what you can do today (I kept saying for years I was going to get back into training)
  2. Diabetes is not a one size fits all condition i.e. what works for me may not work for you
  3. "We" have to take responsibility for food choices as governments behave toothlessly for economic reasons.
  4. You can take a horse to water, but you can't make it drink - I have been astonished by some choices I see other type 2's make at networking events, who have been type 2 a lot longer than me.
  5. Health is more important than money
  6. There is plenty of food in supermarkets I can eat, at first I thought it was just a few items
  7. I have learned to cook more
  8. LCHF dampens hunger
  9. Establishments try to silence those who have seen the light like Tim Noakes
  10. Societies treat the symptoms rather than trying to cure (type 2)
  11. Priorities such as CGM's for Type 1's and free testing strips for Type 2's using diet are having to be fought over
I could go on.

Reactions: Nidge247

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
To look forward and not back.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
The carb values of a wide range of food!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That we're lucky that our condition, although serious, is almost totally manageable thru our lives. So many other conditions can only partially managed or even not at all

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Mbaker thank you for an excellent post which stated so many truisms. And yes @Diakat I totally agree. I've learned now from my own experience the difficulties of controlling blood sugar and now appreciate my mothers problems when she wasn't diagnosed until her 80s.

Reactions: Diakat