Things I don't really understand.

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you've got a good DN you've won the lottery, enjoy it, most on here find it very rare.
You are seeing with your own eyes what a load of bull**** the low fat fad, was.
Good work, keep it up.

Nixterjoe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for this. Three weeks, WOW. I'll be one week low carb on Monday. I've only been using it for five days but my meter has a function on it that works out your average BG over 7 days. Over today and yesterday the average has moved down point by point from 8 to 7.2. I know its to early to mean anything real but it gives me hope. My weight has been steady all week, which in itself fascinates me with all that frying and cheese and cream. Fingers crossed that will drop too. Thank you for your encouragement x

i have had ups and downs, my emotions were all over the place and the change to low carb made me feel rough but feel so much better now and i actually have some energy too, this forum is a god send and no question is daft and someone will always answer you. We will get there, I am hoping for remission but who knows! they change of lifestyle can only be a good thing whatever the outcome

Reactions: Mo R and Margarettt

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Feeling unsure and confused today and this genuinely, honestly made my eyes fill with grateful tears. THANK YOU
Stick with it, Margaret! You're doing really well.

I was diagnosed 4 weeks ago, started low carb not long after. Also started walking daily for at least 30 mins. I'm not on meds.

When I was diagnosed, my BG was in the 15 range for fasting and before a meal, 17.4 after a meal. Within 1 week of low carb that reduced to 10s and 9s across the board. By the end of week 2, it was 9s and 8s. Now, at the end of week 4, I'm in the 6 or 7 range for fasting, then 5s or 6s for before and after meals. I've lost 1st 9lb (10kg) since diagnosis.

It's easy to get carried away with all the hype out there about low carb/keto diets. I've had to force my brain to not see each day as a competition with the last, instead having faith that while numbers may go up or down from day to day, it's weeks, months and years that matter when it comes to trending, and low carb combined with exercise is delivering improving trends for me over those time periods. One "bad" reading doesn't matter. A week's worth might, a month's worth will, and a year or mores worth is probably what unknowingly landed most of us in diabetes territory.

Keep at it, you're doing amazing and you'll get where you want/need to be in time.

Last edited:

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had to force my brain to not see each day as a competition with the last,
Paul. Thank you. This sentence came at exactly the right moment for me this morning. I thought I was taking on board all the dawn phenomenon info but yesterday my numbers were 6.6 before breakfast and 7.2 after and I was really pleased.This morning the before breakfast 8 was disappointing. I read your post and thought about lots of other supportive responses I've had here, got on with my morning and lo and behold two hours later it was 6.1.
I truly appreciate and am grateful for the kind, supportive responses.

• Friendly
Reactions: Mo R and Paul_

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Paul. Thank you. This sentence came at exactly the right moment for me this morning. I thought I was taking on board all the dawn phenomenon info but yesterday my numbers were 6.6 before breakfast and 7.2 after and I was really pleased.This morning the before breakfast 8 was disappointing. I read your post and thought about lots of other supportive responses I've had here, got on with my morning and lo and behold two hours later it was 6.1.
I truly appreciate and am grateful for the kind, supportive responses.
It's a tough ride. It's still tough now 4 weeks in, but the first couple of weeks are especially hard. You're suddenly confronted by endless numbers. BG readings. Blood pressure reading. HBA1C. Blood test results for all sorts of things. Weight. Carbs, fat, protein grams for every single thing you eat. Exercise/activity performance stats. I'm very data driven generally, my job involves dealing with lots of data, yet this has been overwhelming and stressful at points when I've let my brain run wild and unchecked with all the information.

I read an article/blog, pretty sure it was by Adam Brown who wrote the 42 Factors article that someone previously linked to. In it he said something along the lines of "there aren't good or bad numbers, they are just data points that allow you to make informed decisions". I remind myself of this every time I get a bad number/result/reading. If I get a bad BG reading, I exercise if I wasn't planning to, or I exercise slightly more, or I cut down my next meal's carbs. Sometimes, like you did, I just go about my day. Often the bigger picture is more important than one number measuring a single point in time, as difficult as that is to rewire your brain into thinking.

Last edited:

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This is why I get annoyed by anyone who writes or talks about “controlling diabetes”.
The chance of controlling something which can be influenced by so many things (after 20 years with diabetes I think 42 things is a conservative estimate) that we have little control over, is very low. Forcing ourselves to control diabetes is such a a high risk of failure and subsequent mental health issues. Did I mention that people with diabetes are more likely to suffer from mental health issues?
So, I manage my diabetes. I try to learn when things don’t go to plan. I accept there will be days when my bg is higher than I would like (and I do not have the time to do make exercise) and move on focusing on the general trend not the individual numbers.
I compare it to managing a group of toddlers. Most of them will do what you want most of the time but none of them will do what you want all the time. That doesn’t make you a bad parent.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is why I get annoyed by anyone who writes or talks about “controlling diabetes”.
The chance of controlling something which can be influenced by so many things (after 20 years with diabetes I think 42 things is a conservative estimate) that we have little control over, is very low. Forcing ourselves to control diabetes is such a a high risk of failure and subsequent mental health issues. Did I mention that people with diabetes are more likely to suffer from mental health issues?
So, I manage my diabetes. I try to learn when things don’t go to plan. I accept there will be days when my bg is higher than I would like (and I do not have the time to do make exercise) and move on focusing on the general trend not the individual numbers.
I compare it to managing a group of toddlers. Most of them will do what you want most of the time but none of them will do what you want all the time. That doesn’t make you a bad parent.
Control/manage = tomAtoes/tomOtoes
Doing our best and keeping it in perspective (the rest of what you say) however is something I totally agree with.

Reactions: Mo R

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Control/manage = tomAtoes/tomOtoes
Doing our best and keeping it in perspective (the rest of what you say) however is something I totally agree with.
I would love to know how you control a group of toddlers!
But seriously, it is about managing our mental health as well as our BG. If keeping it in perspective is the way you do it, that is great for you.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would love to know how you control a group of toddlers!
But seriously, it is about managing our mental health as well as our BG. If keeping it in perspective is the way you do it, that is great for you.
Again semantics. To me control doesn’t have to mean 100% perfect (though it could do), just acceptable/ noticeably better results than without any efforts ie it makes a real difference.

Ditzy47

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning
Just when I think I'm beginning to understand how it all works there's something to confuse me. I was diagnosed a week past today and have been "properly" low carb since Monday. (Monday readings were all 9, 10 and 12s)
Wednesday my readings were either 6 point something or 7 point something with my first ever 5.8 before lunch. I think "right we've cracked it here we go."
Thursday Similar to Wednesday although breakfast was 7.3 before and 8.2 after
Now today my waking up number is 7 and a couple of hours later before breakfast its 8 How does that work?
I only had 20 carbs yesterday and my dinner last night was only four or five carbs.
I know I sound really impatient and I've lurked about enough to know I should be grateful for the numbers I have but I really want to get everything below 8 and I don't understand the sudden 8 before breakfast when I've been rally low carb for 4 days.
I suppose the question is- Is there a period of time things need to settle down? Am I just impatient? Could anything else make the numbers go up?
Finally on 3 occasions my numbers have been lower after my meal than before. How does that work?
Thank you for being patient with this wee fat middle aged diabetic who wants to be in remission "NOW"
As I understand it, the liver delivers glucose to the body in response to its need for it. So fight or flight, your body needs energy fast and that means glucose. Similarly, if you’ve fasted, eg overnight, you get a release of glucose from the liver, sometimes called a liver dump or dawn phenomenon. Just getting out of bed requires energy. There is nothing wrong with raised glucose levels, provided they aren’t a high spike followed by a sudden crash. You need to use the given energy. You are doing very well with your results already. Don’t beat yourself up about it, stress raises your glucose levels as well. I’ve just spent a high stress 10 days and my glucose was around 15 the whole time. It’s coming back down slowly to within range but the more stressed I got about that, the worse it got. Good luck, you are on the right track.

Reactions: Mo R and HSSS

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As I understand it, the liver delivers glucose to the body in response to its need for it. So fight or flight, your body needs energy fast and that means glucose. Similarly, if you’ve fasted, eg overnight, you get a release of glucose from the liver, sometimes called a liver dump or dawn phenomenon. Just getting out of bed requires energy. There is nothing wrong with raised glucose levels, provided they aren’t a high spike followed by a sudden crash. You need to use the given energy. You are doing very well with your results already. Don’t beat yourself up about it, stress raises your glucose levels as well. I’ve just spent a high stress 10 days and my glucose was around 15 the whole time. It’s coming back down slowly to within range but the more stressed I got about that, the worse it got. Good luck, you are on the right track
Thank you. I recognise the truth in everything you say. I'm just a big scaredy cat (hypochondriac) who is not dealing very well right now.. The appointment letter for my first diabetic eye screening came to day which is a whole new level of things to worry about but I really appreciate your support.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Thank you. I recognise the truth in everything you say. I'm just a big scaredy cat (hypochondriac) who is not dealing very well right now.. The appointment letter for my first diabetic eye screening came to day which is a whole new level of things to worry about but I really appreciate your support.
Don't worry about diabetic eye screening - it's a good thing, though a bit of a faff.
Even if they find something on retina, usually for those looking after their BG levels, whatever it was is gone by the next year's check-up.

• Agree
Reactions: Mo R and Outlier

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't worry about diabetic eye screening - it's a good thing, though a bit of a faff.
Even if they find something on retina, usually for those looking after their BG levels, whatever it was is gone by the next year's check-up.
Thank you. I needed that

BoldItalic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
<snip> One of things that affects mine is outside temperature. When it's hot, my BG always goes up. Why? don't know.
I get that too. I think the explanation is that in hot weather we use less energy keeping warm so the blood glucose gets used up more slowly and we need less intake to keep the levels right. I purposely reduce my carbs a bit in summer (35g/meal rather than 40 in winter) and that seems to work for me.

Miss_Piggywig

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Thank you for putting it like this. I get so disheartened when I'm sticking to everything but numbers are still high, even exercise doesn't bring it down anymore. I will now imagine my classful of 5 year olds when I'm frustrated and be pleased that some of them are doing what I want some of the time.

Junius

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning
Just when I think I'm beginning to understand how it all works there's something to confuse me. I was diagnosed a week past today and have been "properly" low carb since Monday. (Monday readings were all 9, 10 and 12s)
Wednesday my readings were either 6 point something or 7 point something with my first ever 5.8 before lunch. I think "right we've cracked it here we go."
Now today my waking up number is 7 and a couple of hours later before breakfast its 8 How does that work?
I only had 20 carbs yesterday and my dinner last night was only four or five carbs.
I know I sound really impatient and I've lurked about enough to know I should be grateful for the numbers I have but I really want to get everything below 8 and I don't understand the sudden 8 before breakfast when I've been rally low carb for 4 days.
I suppose the question is- Is there a period of time things need to settle down? Am I just impatient? Could anything else make the numbers go up?
Finally on 3 occasions my numbers have been lower after my meal than before. How does that work?
Thank you for being patient with this wee fat middle aged diabetic who wants to be in remission "NOW"
Like dieting to lose weight, the first week figures mean very little, give yourself a date - say two months ahead and work towards that date. It'll be here before you know it. I started at Slimming World on 20th April this year having just completed a Desmond (diabetes) workshop with a date of 20th June in view and a dream of losing a stone a month. I made it - still going to Slimming World - four months on from 20th April it's over three stone gone now and my diabetes blood results are consistently between 5 and 7. Nothing significant happens in a week. Occupy yourself losing your excessive weight and cooking the magnificent SW recipes, just do your bloods a few times a week. Set your targets in months, not days!

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I get that too. I think the explanation is that in hot weather we use less energy keeping warm so the blood glucose gets used up more slowly and we need less intake to keep the levels right. I purposely reduce my carbs a bit in summer (35g/meal rather than 40 in winter) and that seems to work for me.
Not in my case. These are fasted levels, and I am on 20g/day, so food intake isn't the reason. It's clearly my liver deciding more fuel is need, but no idea why.

• Informative
Reactions: mojo37

sharray

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning