Things that cause a BGL spike?

swttbsy5

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Does anyone have any experience with non food things that cause spikes? I'm specifically wondering about paracetamol, ibuprofen and mouthwash. I'm also wondering if these things can bring the body out of ketosis? Thanks.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you're needing painkillers, it is more likely the pain that raises blood glucose than the tablets. I never noticed a rise and i've used both, frequently. As for mouth wash, I dunno.... If it tastes sweet, it might. (Your pancreas pre-emptively pumping out insulin you don't need, and your liver over-correcting for it with a glucose dump).

swttbsy5

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
If you're needing painkillers, it is more likely the pain that raises blood glucose than the tablets. I never noticed a rise and i've used both, frequently. As for mouth wash, I dunno.... If it tastes sweet, it might. (Your pancreas pre-emptively pumping out insulin you don't need, and your liver over-correcting for it with a glucose dump).
Yeah I took the pain killers and they're was no issue. Haven't tried the mouthwash yet. The keto breath is a problem.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I haven't noticed any BGs rises with mouthwash (Listerine) and with either paracetamol or ibuprofen but, as @JoKalsbeek says above, pain can increase BGs as can anxiety.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah I took the pain killers and they're was no issue. Haven't tried the mouthwash yet. The keto breath is a problem.
Xylitol chewing gum. ;) Unless there's pets to consider, as xylitol's potentially deadly).

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Does anyone have any experience with non food things that cause spikes? I'm specifically wondering about paracetamol, ibuprofen and mouthwash. I'm also wondering if these things can bring the body out of ketosis? Thanks.

Paracetamol is safe for pain, ibuprofen is in my case a non starter, it causes a side effect of stomach problems., as for mouth wash, I would imagine that all of them contain some form of sweetener, sugary taste.
And if any drug contain something which you are intolerant to then yes it can push you out of ketosis.
Do be careful what you do take.

Keep safe.