Thinking is good for you.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
I have been very busy lately with work and having to do hours of "mental" exercise i.e problem solving and design tasks.

The effect on my BG's has been remarkably positive and after an afternoons heavy thinking I'm seeing my BG's end up nearly a whole 1mmol less than where I normally would be. Presumably the mere act of having to think hard is getting my brain to require more glucose to work with. I've also lost 2lbs in weight this week so as with my normal fat burning exercise routine (walking the dogs) maybe thinking is also a very efficient fat burner :lol:

Unbeliever

xyzzy said:
I have been very busy lately with work and having to do hours of "mental" exercise i.e problem solving and design tasks.

The effect on my BG's has been remarkably positive and after an afternoons heavy thinking I'm seeing my BG's end up nearly a whole 1mmol less than where I normally would be. Presumably the mere act of having to think hard is getting my brain to require more glucose to work with. I've also lost 2lbs in weight this week so as with my normal fat burning exercise routine (walking the dogs) maybe thinking is also a very efficient fat burner :lol:

This ties in with recent posts concerning Alzheimer's and diabetes Alzheimer's starting to be known as T3 diabetes.

The advice used to be to keep the brain active by learning languages , solving puzzles etc. Noone seemed to know why this was so but it seemed to work.
I suppose its giving the brain a good old workout or increasing its exercise.
Perhaps they younger we are when we begin the more effective this will be. Interesting.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
This is interesting stuff... :think:

Now, can we combine this with exercise? By THINKING about EXERCISE??? :lol: Double-bubble mMol reading reduction!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Definitely good to keep the brain working :D

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
jessilyy said:
Exactly. It is the most important organ in the human body .

Hmmmm. Not sure about that. There isn't much redunancy built into our mamallian anatomy. The failure of most "important" organs will lead to the failure of the whole organism. It's a system that relies on almost all of its component parts. Its not easy to say that any is more "important" than the others.

Defren

Patch said:
This is interesting stuff... :think:

Now, can we combine this with exercise? By THINKING about EXERCISE??? :lol: Double-bubble mMol reading reduction!

I like your way of thinking :lol: Patch.

sugarmog

I've noticed this in the past. I work as a lighting designer. My work involves intense physical exertion rigging equipment, and then sitting and programming lighting effects at the control desk, usually to very tight time deadlines. A session of sitting and programming will always leave me with about a 1mmol lower BS than the physical stuff.