Thinking of CGM

kkkk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you iHs - I will do that when I use the skin tac - I got some me fix - but it was tape and that is worse than micropore for stickiness on my skin and it doesn't stick to itself which doesn't help when trying to make a rectangle! (not allergic to it which is the only positive!). I'll check out the others - I like the sound of iv3000 as it is that sort of stuff you want - the stuff that keeps canulars in in hospital - the tegaderm did work really well for keeping it stationary!

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sensor prolonging tips please….

I tested various adhesives and dressing retention tapes on different skin areas before purchasing the CGM. I found that Tegaderm film caused a skin reaction as did Skin Tac.

I prepare the skin carefully and spray the area with Spray Plaster. While I am waiting for the spray to dry I spray the sticky side of the sensor adhesive with Tensospray while protecting the sensor hole from the spray. I apply the sensor to my upper arm. On top of the sensor tape I place strips of Hypafix to extend over the edges of the sensor tape. If the adhesive lifts at the edges I remove the Hypafix and spray more Tensospray under the sensor adhesive and reapply fresh Hypafix tape. I protect the sensor site from water when having a shower.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Hi Searley,

I have a dexcom G4 and have downloaded Sdiary. But which reading do i import and n what format, to get the A1C

Thanks
You would need to download it as bg readings not cgm data

Alternatively in the download section on the website is a cgm add on that will take some cgm data and convert it to bg readings .. I did this and imported readings for every 120mins

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Lisbet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You say "Alternative stuff to use looks like IV3000 Smith & Nephew, Hypafix, Mefix, Flexifix and Opsite. Seems as though Hypafix is easier to use as the backing is in two halves"

Opsite Flexifix also has two bits of backing paper and is easy to apply. It works really well (get the wide one so you can cut a hole for the transmitter, which should not be covered)

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think Skin tac needs to be used on the skin but I've read that some people forget where they've applied the Skin tac. Might pay to use a tem plate of the G4 sensor and use something to draw around it that will wash off

I had this problem with my first sensor so for the second I drew a small circle with a ball point and applied the SkinTac around this. I did spend some time preparing the site - in my case shaving it the day before to let any razor burn settle. I then cleaned it with an alcohol wipe & left it to dry.

After a week or so with the first sensor I added multiple strips of Hypafix which worked but was pretty untidy.
When the second one started to peel back I carefully applied SkinTac & glued it down again. That was a week ago & it's only just beginning to lift.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The first day is erratic whilst the sensor 'beds in' then it's ok for a few days then it starts to be a little erratic again

If I can not get 7 days good readings from it then it's not worth £68 a sensor

I was very careful during calibration clean hands, and only doing it whilst levels were steady

Got woke up 2 nights in a row with low alerts in the 3's did a finger test to find I was in the 6's

The final straw yesterday when looking at it thinking ooh I've had a steady day the dexcom saying I was 6.9 did a finger test to find I was 10.7

I can understand some difference but not such a big difference. I certainly no longer trust the results making the meter of no value to me

So yes I want my money back, which is sad as I'd waited so long to get one and had high hopes :-(

Hi Searley!

Thanks for the information. I had no idea it was possible for the sensors to be so far out in their readings. The running costs are so high but i was expecting them to be very accurate and reliable thereby justifying the costs.

Does anyone know whether there is any data as to what type of profile is more likely to get inaccurate results? e.g small people, large people, very active people, male female, age range etc - or is that type of data simply not available?

I guess I was after a quick-win to my night time issues really, so maybe CGM isn't necessarily going to provide that. The other thing currently putting me off is all the issues you all seem to be having with keeping the sensors stuck down. I was kind of hoping the sensor would attach and be quite neat and unobtrusive. I don't fancy the idea of lots of tape etc to try to keep it in place. Still a big dilemma for me!

Smidge

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Smidge, adding tape and everything only tends to happen after 10 days. I simply use skin tack and a ball point pen the same as duneplodder.

I also havent had any problems with accuracy until the sensor was close to giving up.

Dont think the profile your asking for is available as far as I know.

Reactions: 3 people

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Smidge

Just because it's not working for me, doesn't mean it won't for you.

I'm in a situation where I don't need cgm, just want it to help me get better results, and to help save the risk if hypos when driving.

So for that reason I need to trust the results. Otherwise it's not worth the cost

Will be interesting to see what else hits the market in the next 12 months

Having said all this, it may work well for you

Try it and if it's no good return it

Hi Searley!

Thanks for the information. I had no idea it was possible for the sensors to be so far out in their readings. The running costs are so high but i was expecting them to be very accurate and reliable thereby justifying the costs.

Does anyone know whether there is any data as to what type of profile is more likely to get inaccurate results? e.g small people, large people, very active people, male female, age range etc - or is that type of data simply not available?

I guess I was after a quick-win to my night time issues really, so maybe CGM isn't necessarily going to provide that. The other thing currently putting me off is all the issues you all seem to be having with keeping the sensors stuck down. I was kind of hoping the sensor would attach and be quite neat and unobtrusive. I don't fancy the idea of lots of tape etc to try to keep it in place. Still a big dilemma for me!

Smidge

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Morning folks! Just wanted to give you all some hope Re CGMs.

Ive had a letter this morning from my consultant regarding my most recent appoint. I brought up the point of funding my CGM, not asking for full funding but some help towards (baby steps...) In the letter he has written his support towards this stating he isn't confident but will try. I see this as a win :D

Reactions: 2 people

Lisbet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like a great constant you have there! I might just ask for some help towards the sensors - mine gave me two free ones as they were bearing their sell by date!

charbossy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have had my Dexcom G4 for about 3 weeks now. I love it.

My first sensor was placed on my stomach, and after 7 days I had to put some Tegaderm over it to keep it stuck down. The results started off very accurately, if not exact, just 0.1 or 0.2mmol out but from about day 4, I noticed it was often around 2.0mmol out. I didn't mind too much as I had by then learnt that the trend arrow was just as important as the number. This sensor failed on the 11th day, I think this was mainly because the sensor was becoming quite detached as I often knocked it, it was constantly rubbing against seat belts, my trouser waist belt, etc etc. (was hoping for about two weeks plus). One thing I did notice was that when I had a hypo, it took the dex probably about half and hour to realise i'd treated and was now okay - That was a bit annoying.

Im now on my second sensor, I put it on my upper arm at the back and i'm on day 7 today and the readings have been spot on since start up. I hope this one will last longer because it has firmly stuck down, I used some Skin Tac which I got sent free for a trial, and bloody hell its very sticky. I didn't realise.... My fingers that I used to wipe the sticky skin tac pad on my skin were sticking to everything! and I put my trusty Tegaderm around the transmitter. I don't know if its a fluke, but my readings from placing the sensor on my arm have been much more accurate and reliable than when I put a sensor on my tummy.

I have also set up my account with Animas now, which just needed a VAT relief form photoed and emailed to them, and an email from my DSN to say she was happy to support me. So I will hopefully be able to get them cheaper now, than I could from AV.

It has given me a sense of security over anything else.

Reactions: 4 people

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm now on my second sensor, I put it on my upper arm at the back and i'm on day 7 today and the readings have been spot on since start up.

I'm curious, did you manage to put it on your arm yourself or did you have help? I seem to need 2 hands.
It sounds as though your readings match you BG meter better than mine. Although mine are often within 1 unit, I get the occasional 2 & even one 3. Normal BG meter readings can vary a lot between themselves though, I've seen big differences between consecutive finger prick tests, mainly when high.

I'm still very happy with the Dex, as you say the trends are great. I still have to fight a feeling of alarm when I see the arrows, a 45 degree/single down arrow is fine if you are highish, not if you are already low.

I've only used my abdomen for the sensors. My second one is still going, now 23 days in.

Yes it is that feeling of security which is so great.

charbossy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi duneplodder,

I did manage to insert the sensor in my arm myself, I have had lots of practice putting infusion sets on my arms myself in the past and it is not much different. I also watched a few YouTube videos on how to insert it on your arm yourself, there are a few there.

The single down arrow is a bit nerving but at least we know it's happening and can be ready :)

23 days is great, I hope I can get close to that with this one. It would certainly help with the cost! I have to limit myself to one or two a month, depending if I can get some overtime at work!

kkkk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That sounds good…and you know on the accuracy thing - I have one of the meters that is meant to be 'good' in terms of accuracy it is fairly new and all the rest of it, but in the past month or 2 I have had 2 incorrect readings out of it - and if it wasn't for the dex I would have treated and got it wrong - it was when the meter was out with the dex by about 4mmol and as it was that far out I retested and then found the 2nd reading to be a lot closer to my dex….so I guess nothing is completely perfect which is why those beautiful arrows come into play too. Mine is still tracking fairly accurately, some days spot on, some times it is more than 1mmol out - but then on the basis that it is 10 ish mins different that still makes it accurate in my book - plus I love that it will wake me in the night, even if it wakes me and I'm 6 and not 4 - that's fine in my book as before now I was waking up at 1am every night, so the odd night with an alarm really doesn't bother me much.

Tried the skin tac - and it is incredibly sticky and with the wipes all over my fingers - was quite comedy really, however the sensor seems to have stuck really flat and I don't seem to be allergic to it, so I will try and order some more. I had a sensor quite close to my belt before, and that one came loose fairly quickly, I try and make sure that they are out of the way of it now, I know loads of people seem to have lots of success on their arms - I think I need to watch some videos and be brave and have a go.

Trying to do basal testing, but I've had a nervous weekend watching my kids compete and either my insulin requirement is creeping up (my sugar went up by about 3mmol the 1st day, then same time the 2nd 6mmol and that was with an extra .5 unit of basal….!), or it was just nervs, but then not been nervous all evening….but I do appear to be able to inject what would normally be huge amounts of insulin (about 30% more!) with little effect all of a sudden….so a little bit worried that I will then have the natural crash and burn thing - I will know whether it is nervs next weekend if the same thing happens, but at least with the CGM I will see it coming a lot better and be able to adjust my doses more quickly.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sounds like a great constant you have there! I might just ask for some help towards the sensors - mine gave me two free ones as they were bearing their sell by date!

Thats what I have done - basically ask for one sensor a month, I can get one sensor to last 2-3 weeks so that would half what I'm paying for those then its just the transmitter :D

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thats what I have done - basically ask for one sensor a month, I can get one sensor to last 2-3 weeks so that would half what I'm paying for those then its just the transmitter

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
Let us know how it goes

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Returned my meter virtually a month ago and still awaiting a refund, and not getting any response to emails

As a result on Tuesday which will be a month since they received the item back I shall have no option but to go through the small claims court to get my money back

So caution advised, they seem happy to take your hard earned, but not give it back

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Interesting, I hadn't looked at that claim when I bought it - but with the sensor I have at the moment I was getting a max of 5mmol out when I calibrated on a rise (it wasn't even the 2 arrows, just the gentle incline) but since doing it on the level it has been pretty much spot on….but this is only my 1st sensor! :)

I agree the G4 calibrates much better when you do it while BG is level.