Thinking of CGM

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
After the first 24 hrs the G4 CGM for me is usually within 1.0 mmol/L of my meter, often within about 0.2. It's no more than the normal variation between two meters.

I use Tagoderm over the transmitter to keep it on and I don't bother fiddling with holes or cutouts, I just whack it on. Never had any reception problems.

Having spoken to my hospital clinic at length, the only clinical grounds for the NHS funding a CGM is severe hypo unawareness. And as that is usually a reversible phenomenon I expect they would be looking to stop funding the CGM once that problem was resolved.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Topher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had my Dexcom G4 for about 3 weeks now. I love it.

My first sensor was placed on my stomach, and after 7 days I had to put some Tegaderm over it to keep it stuck down. The results started off very accurately, if not exact, just 0.1 or 0.2mmol out but from about day 4, I noticed it was often around 2.0mmol out. I didn't mind too much as I had by then learnt that the trend arrow was just as important as the number. This sensor failed on the 11th day, I think this was mainly because the sensor was becoming quite detached as I often knocked it, it was constantly rubbing against seat belts, my trouser waist belt, etc etc. (was hoping for about two weeks plus). One thing I did notice was that when I had a hypo, it took the dex probably about half and hour to realise i'd treated and was now okay - That was a bit annoying.

Im now on my second sensor, I put it on my upper arm at the back and i'm on day 7 today and the readings have been spot on since start up. I hope this one will last longer because it has firmly stuck down, I used some Skin Tac which I got sent free for a trial, and bloody hell its very sticky. I didn't realise.... My fingers that I used to wipe the sticky skin tac pad on my skin were sticking to everything! and I put my trusty Tegaderm around the transmitter. I don't know if its a fluke, but my readings from placing the sensor on my arm have been much more accurate and reliable than when I put a sensor on my tummy.

I have also set up my account with Animas now, which just needed a VAT relief form photoed and emailed to them, and an email from my DSN to say she was happy to support me. So I will hopefully be able to get them cheaper now, than I could from AV.

It has given me a sense of security over anything else.

Hi charbossy, is it sore to put in the back of your arm, my arms are quite thin with not much fat

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I put my 3rd Dexcom G4 sensor in yesterday.
I had the second one in for 49 days, yes 7 weeks. And it was still functioning!

Reactions: 6 people

kkkk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
49 days.....wow - the maximum I have had out of one is just under 3 weeks, the last one that I was really hopeful for (as it was soooooo well stuck down) only lasted me 2 and then it had absences (I am still amazed how it keeps track, and it disappeared one night, and there was this one solitary blood sugar reading on it of 3.5 which alarmed and woke me up! - but I'm putting that one down to the Big Guy looking out for me rather than dex!). This new one is in with the flexifit tape which I am liking a lot as it seems to keep it stuck really well, not got any skintac on with this one so I will see how it does. I am finding that when I have a bath (I do like to soak) that it pretty much always disappears for a bit on me, so I am going to try and cover it with a waterproof dressing when I go on holiday and want to swim - it's encouraging Spiker that you can wear tegaderm over the top...though I need to find something like that which I'm not allergic to, might see if flexifit comes in bigger pieces.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I just lost a G4 sensor on day 14, which is respectable, I can live with that, and then lost a second sensor same day, after less than 14 hours. I can't afford to have a £65 sensor last less than a day. I'm gutted. It's not the technology that's failing, it's just the bloody adhesive. This one had the base adhesive plus a Tegaderm over the top at right angles to the base adhesive. I literally just lifted up my shirt, it caught on the sensor and the canula pulled out. The sensor didn't come right off, it just rotated away from the skin enough for the canula to pull out.

I guess next time I will try two patches of Tegaderm so they can grab more skin area to grip on to.

What's with the skintac stuff? Does that work?

kkkk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It is an extra adhesive that you can apply...and really sticky, like the first time I used it I got it all over my fingers which was fairy comedy. You can trial it from the company in the MG Healthcare, and most people apply it to the plaster bit of the sensor before sticking it on (I only found this out after, as I was applying it to my skin before...but then you need to be careful and try to avoid getting it on the sensor before you put it in as people have blamed that for sensor failures) . It does stick it down really well my sensor before last I used skin tac only and it was great for 2 weeks and then I added some tape over the top, but skintac and tape on top seems to get it really well stuck. So my tip is try to hold the wipe in the little pack it comes in, don't pull it out and get skintac all over your fingers!

Reactions: 2 people

iHs

You can get skin tac as free sample so try b4 you buy. N
Someone from the forum puts the G4 in her arm and doesnt get any trouble but has help from partner with the insertion.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Animas sell skintac as well and it's cheaper from them than the other company by about £2. I find it easier to use the skin tac after one week just as the tape is lifting. All you do is soak the tape with it and it stays firm for a couple of more weeks with no problem.
Handy hint make sure you have some alcohol swabs handy to remove stick from fingers. Carefully place skin tac back in pkt and wrap in cling film so it can be used again.

Inserting a sensor in your arm is simple. Look on you tube for a very clear video :)

Reactions: 4 people

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I just lost a G4 sensor on day 14, which is respectable, I can live with that, and then lost a second sensor same day, after less than 14 hours. I can't afford to have a £65 sensor last less than a day. I'm gutted. It's not the technology that's failing, it's just the bloody adhesive. This one had the base adhesive plus a Tegaderm over the top at right angles to the base adhesive. I literally just lifted up my shirt, it caught on the sensor and the canula pulled out. The sensor didn't come right off, it just rotated away from the skin enough for the canula to pull out.

I guess next time I will try two patches of Tegaderm so they can grab more skin area to grip on to.

What's with the skintac stuff? Does that work?

Get on the phone and report it! Animas will send you a new one if its leff than 7 days and fails...

kkkk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Animas sell skintac as well and it's cheaper from them than the other company by about £2. I find it easier to use the skin tac after one week just as the tape is lifting. All you do is soak the tape with it and it stays firm for a couple of more weeks with no problem.
Handy hint make sure you have some alcohol swabs handy to remove stick from fingers. Carefully place skin tac back in pkt and wrap in cling film so it can be used again.

Inserting a sensor in your arm is simple. Look on you tube for a very clear video :)

Thanks for that tip I hadn't realised that animas sell it, I'll look into that :)

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Get on the phone and report it! Animas will send you a new one if its leff than 7 days and fails...
Really? Even though it just fell off? That's really good to know. Except I chucked the sensor and I think that when they replace them they insist that you send them the failed one. Is that right? I should have held on to it. I will know better next time.

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Just out of interest, Kinesio take makes a pretty god option to extend the life of the sensor - the tape is also shower proof.
Standard 'medical' tape can be applied in the same way, and is actually even more sticky too.

1015360_10151588054564219_261256281_o.jpg

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Really? Even though it just fell off? That's really good to know. Except I chucked the sensor and I think that when they replace them they insist that you send them the failed one. Is that right? I should have held on to it. I will know better next time.

No you dont need to return it. well I didnt but mine came up with a straight out fail code.

kkkk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I get my sensors through animas now, and I had one that had a few question mark periods in the first week and then collapsed on day 6, when I called them I got put through to someone in the states (or an American!) and they just asked me questions and then authorised a new one for me (I couldn't even work out which pack I had the sensor from, so just gave them the numbers of the box, I now keep the packing of the sensor I am wearing til I have to put in a new one!)

Reactions: 4 people

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Same... :)

Of course all the same rules about keeping it attached apply after 7 days....

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Am wondering if skintac would be easier to use if it was supplied in a tiny bottle with long skinny applicator nozzle?

Ive heard it drys up in the bottle before its done. Think you *might* be able to buy it. Animas Give it to you if you see a rep though. How do you find it difficult?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Am wondering if skintac would be easier to use if it was supplied in a tiny bottle with long skinny applicator nozzle?

Only the sachets are available in the UK. The product is made in the USA and it has something to do with liquids in flight regulations. No idea why it can't be shipped over though.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Only the sachets are available in the UK. The product is made in the USA and it has something to do with liquids in flight regulations. No idea why it can't be shipped over though.
I'm not sure I buy that explanation. They're not sending it over in cabin baggage. Even if they need to air freight it, it's going to be in big sealed pallets.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not sure I'm doing anything special to make them last so long (and it's only been 2). Perhaps just lucky that my body doesn't seem to want to reject the sensor.

On the practical aspect of keeping it in place I too am a fan of Skintac. I've described my routine before but in case there's something useful:

Shave the site the day before, to allow razor burn to calm down.
Clean thoroughly with an alcohol wipe.
Mark a small circle with ball point - where the sensor "wire" will go in.
Apply Skintac in a circle around this. Yes it's messy!
Leave for a minute or two.
Carefully insert the sensor making sure it goes into the non sticky area.
Smooth the adhesive down.

This lasts me a week or so, then I stick any curled edges with Skintac. Later I add Hypatape, again with Skintac.

Other factors:
I have showers rather than a bath - though I did enjoy a good soak between sensors.
I haven't been swimming & don't do any sport, but I'm not sedentary, often working outside & I walk 3 to 4 miles most days.

Reactions: 3 people