1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

This 8 week 800 calorie a day thing

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by Jamrox, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Jamrox

Jamrox Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi Brunmeria , I stood up 2 weeks ago and my knee was sore . My GP said it is soft tissue damage and will get better . Rest , ice , compression and elevation .
    Not easy at work .
    The positive side of this diet is I'm not hungry , I ate loads of rubbish for the week before I started and like I said I was going to balloon if I hadn't taken action. As it is I'm 2lb lighter

• Like Like x 2
    • Hug Hug x 2
  2. Jamrox

Was nt to outrageous with the rice . Need to behave again now ..

3. Jamrox

184 Cals over today !! Oh well nobodies died

• Like Like x 2
  4. Lorraine deer

Lorraine deer Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Day 8 and the results are great bs 4-6.7 all day , reduced my morning insulin to 16 units novomix 30/70. Bs stayed around 6 two hours post dinner with no insulin tonight. Weight lost 9lbs happy

5. Jamrox

Great Lorraine . I'm on day 7 or will be when I get out of bed.
    I've lost 2 lb, not huge but ok. I'm 5'7 and 160lb.BMI 25.1 . My waist is in the red zone of the Diabetes tape so that's a worry.

Still not very active . Knee sore . Planning a trip to Aldi to stock up .

1 thing I am finding strange :
    I love chocolate and switched to dark ages ago . I buy the Aldi mosser type that comes in 5 little individual bars in the pack. I find I can only eat half a bar now and have had enough. Never in my 50 years ( apart from early pregnancy and no I'm not pregnant at 50 !!I hope lol)
    have I left chocolate

• Like Like x 3
  6. Jamrox

I little cat , how's your knee ? Hope it's feeling better . Mines still sore and I'm sick of it now . 2 weeks of hobbling also hurts your back , your hips etc doesn't it

7. Jamrox

So here are some stats
    Start weight -162lb now 160 =-2lb
    FBS hovered around the 6 mark give or take a couple of points .
    Waist was 95cm at start , now 92cm = - 3cm . The waist was a big surprise , I 'be always had a chunky waist even when I was young

• Like Like x 7
  8. captainlynne

captainlynne · Well-Known Member

Just finished the 8 weeks. Lost 27 pounds. Fasting bloods from 10.9 to 5.3. Lost 10 inches from waist and nearly two dress sizes.

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Well done.
    Do you have a plan for how you are going to eat now 8 weeks is finished?

10. captainlynne

captainlynne · Well-Known Member

Thank you. Going to continue for a while as lots more weight to lose. Have a few days away in March, so will just make best choices. Back on this when I get home, until a residential conference in April. Again, will make the best choices I can, then back on this for a while. Just taking it one step at a time.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Jamrox

I've had a funny busy day and somehow ate 657 calories . I have eaten yoghurt and berries for breakfast , cuppa soup at lunch then was busy so didn't eat til about 7 . Had salad , scallops and a fish cake . Then because my calorie count was low had more yoghurt and have a small chocolate bar . Stuffed .Had a couple of Doritos but I can't eat any more now or I won't sleep . Suppose it's the volume of salad and levels out yesterday intake.

I'm wondering now what I used to eat to go to 12-15 hundred calories a day .

• Like Like x 2
  12. Chook

Chook Type 2 · Expert

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Mal1978

Mal1978 Type 1 · Active Member

800 calories a day would drive me insane, I consume between 3-4000cals a day and still want more. I would imagine your energy levels will go through the floor and you will feel like sh*t most of the time, I wouldn't recommend it at all.

14. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

But I suppose you are not overweight?

15. Mal1978

Mal1978 Type 1 · Active Member

@zand no I am not overweight but even for some one overweight 800cals a day is still a very low amount for anyone.

16. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

I never felt better than I did during the time I followed a strict Newcastle diet, total food replacement, with 600 cals a day. I was at that time twice the recommended weight, and desperate to bring BG levels and BMI to a more acceptable level. I was able to undertake 7 intense water based exercise sessions a week, with no ill effects. It was explained to me thus: the ketones suppress hunger, and invoke a feeling of wellbeing.

Of course, I don't suggest this would work for everyone. I understand we all have different physiological needs.

17. Finsky

Finsky Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

One diabetic doctor 'prescribed' me 4 weeks on 800 kcal diet to 'jump start' my insulin sensitivity. I agreed to his plan..but once back home I realized..I received No instructions or advise what foods to include/avoid or how go about it..absolutely nothing!
    I made appointment to see dietician...who was horrified of doctor's plans and said 'ABSOLUTELY NO' for them.
    So that was that...
    Since then I have trialled it on my own...but I do have to say it is not for me. I can do it few days but then I start feeling really rough and unwell...oh and sooooo cold, like my body is not able to heat itself up.
    And yet..in my younger days, before diabetes, I did do few times Vogel 1 week fast..just liquids and I was feeling just fine!?
    I bet 4 or more weeks with 800 plan would just about kill me...that's if I would have enough will power in first place..

18. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

Yes it is, but being overweight also zaps your energy. I would do anything to lose my excess baggage. The 800 calories isn't that hard if you think that's the only way left to try.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Jamrox

@Finsky , I'm on day 8 , been ok but you are right the passed few days I have been freezing cold .

20. TooManyCrisps

TooManyCrisps Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Don't forget that the weather has been very cold for the last few days, that might make a difference. Well done for even attempting it, i dont think I would have the willpower.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook