This 8 week 800 calorie a day thing

WillRoberts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On Day 15 and lost 12 pounds. I am overweight,so there is plenty to lose. Fasting GL down from 7.4 to 6.5.
I have found that stopping bread, potatoes and the rest of the carb poisons has also had the effect of reducing my hunger, so that this new regime is not the hardship I expected. I have come to the conclusion that high carb food is addictive- that is to say, eating them just makes you want to eat more. Better to avoid them all together.
I have also been pretty active. I have just finished wheelbarrowing 10 tons of hardcore 60 metres uphill and my strength has not been affected so far.
I will continue to monitor as I now have to get it all level and compressed. More physical work!

I can see that this would not be for everyone, but it is certainly worth a serious go.

Although I still have 6 weeks to go, I am already beginning to wonder what comes next. My thoughts at the moment are to go to 1000 cals and still keep carbs to the absolute minimum.

Reactions: 10 people

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
I'm 5 foot 7 and 11 stone 6 so I'm not really expecting to loose big numbers weight wise . If I loose a pound a week I'll be happy .
Hopefully ( knee pain allowing ) I going to do the 5x50 challenge either walking or cycling 5km everyday for 50 days . I've done it the last 2 years and enjoyed it.It starts about the end of my 8 weeks.

Today I refused to go out for lunch so we went to a garden centre , I had a coffee and hubby had a huge steak baguette !!! I am amazed at my will power today lol.
Don't feel as cold today.

Reactions: 4 people

Donnadoobie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just finished day 35. Managed ok. Hungry at times but can generally work through it. Energy levels have been good. Still work an 11 hour day and manage walks and dance classes as normal. I started with a little extra Christmas weight with a BMI of 24.1, so did not expect to lose vast amounts of weight but have lost 10lbs and now have a BMI of 22.6. Don't want to lose any more weight when I finish but hope blood sugar levels drop a little lower, they were not high as pre diabetic but have only dropped a little (was 5.8-6.3 fasting now 5.5-5.8) I feel I have given this my best shot. If it doesn't work, I tried. I have a GP appointment in final week to check bloods, weight and blood pressure.

Edit. Yes I have felt very cold, even in the house, I am told that is because I am fat burning

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Great Donnadoobie . 10lb in 5 weeks is great , especially when your BMI was only 24.1 when you started .

Donnadoobie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Jamrox, lost a lot of weight last year on 5:2 after an HBA1c of 49 which reduced to 46 within 3 weeks, quick enough for them to decide I was still pre diabetic. It was 43 in October. When I read about the 8 week Blood Sugar Diet I thought, I'll give it a go, I have nothing to lose and everything to gain. It is only for 8 weeks! It isn't for everyone though and I know that even seasoned 5:2ers have given up after a few days. I do tend to be a bit obsessive about new projects, which I think you need to be a little to stay on track.
Good luck @Jamrox.

Reactions: 2 people

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I've had that cold right through even when the central heating is turned up problem when I've had a fasting day and find just eating a stalk of celery helps. I know you aren't fasting but the celery trick might help.

Lorraine deer

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Big crowds
I little cat , how's your knee ? Hope it's feeling better . Mines still sore and I'm sick of it now . 2 weeks of hobbling also hurts your back , your hips etc doesn't it
Hello jamrox and little cat, I hope your knee pain eases. It's been just over eight months since I had my second knee replacement done and I'm pleased to say doing a lot better. Losing some weight and getting more mobile has been a struggle for me until I started this diet. Today I managed a hill walk for an hour at a steady pace and really surprised myself bs readings 4.0 before dinner and 4.8 at bedtime.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Thanks @Lorraine deer , I'm hoping a knee replacement isn't needed for a looonnng time .

So Day 9 almost done .
Today I have dreamed of cheesy beans on toast , coronation chicken on warburtons thick white bread lol . I resisted but it wasn't easy .

Breakfast was Greek yoghurt and berries .
Lunch coronation chicken salad ( really wanted that white bread )
Dinner was lentil soup and an omelette .

Going to have some blue berries and 1 square dark chocolate later .

This is easier than I thought it was going to be ..... So far

Reactions: 6 people

DaveNN

Hi I've been successful in keeping my BS under control by diet and activity for almost 3 years and I'm pretty proud of that.
BUT ... I've now hurt my knee and I find myself slipping back to bad habits ( I do this now and again but not much ).

Anyway I listened to Jeremy Vine yesterday and they were talking about the 8 week 800 calorie plan . I think it is what I need just now , a bit of discipline to make focused while I'm restricted with a sore knee .

Just wondered what people think .
Has anyone done it , the book sites loads of success . It's really just an exaggerated low carb plan and I low carb most of the time anyway so it's really just to keep me focused like I said .

I've been doing this for a week and have dropped my PPs from 7.5 to low 5's. My dawn effect has gone too,with me I me presenting 5.2 this morning.

I am a little bit hungry BUT I'm enjoying the variety too.

I've not lost any weight at all BUT that isn't such an issue now.

FloraDora

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been doing this for a week and have dropped my PPs from 7.5 to low 5's. My dawn effect has gone too,with me I me presenting 5.2 this morning.

My morning readings have improved a lot too. Not in the 5s yet but steady in the 6s which is good for me.

Food for me today .............
Greek yoghurt and berries
Omelette
Small cottage pie (topped with mashed celeriac) & kale

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
In my last week but today I can no longer be described as a 200lb Gorilla (Now 199.5) lol

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
In my last week but today I can no longer be described as a 200lb Gorilla (Now 199.5) lol

Yeah fab . It's a great feeling to go under a figure . You'll be under 190 before you know it

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
So day 11 and I think I'm turning into a rabbit with the amount of green veg I'm eating, I do enjoy it though . I could however kill for cheesy beans on warburtons white bread lol.

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @Jamrox,
Apologies - I haven't read through this entire thread but hopefully I've got the gist of it. Weight loss is going to be easier with exercise and if you're not able to get out and about, how about using all those major muscle groups in your tummy and arms and just start fitting in some crunches and weights? It might not be quite as appealing as leg work (I know you're a dedicated spinner on the bike), but it will certainly help you trim up. :)

Guthlac

Hi @Jamrox,
I started the 800 calorie Newcastle Diet just over a month ago. It's well devised and you don't starve. I use Tesco Ultraslim shakes, which are quite palatable, three per day (breakfast lunch and tea) made with 125ml skimmed milk and 125ml water. I also make 200cal non-starchy veg meals to have at tea time (the shake is then a 'dessert'. I make Cappuccino using milk reserved from the shakes to have at breakfast. I've lost 7kg so far from a starting point of 97kg but my target is 70kg, so I've a way to go. I don't 'work out' as such but I go for a 4-5 mile walk three times during the working week and each Saturday and Sunday. I also have some small weights to do curls with. I must say that after the first few days the hunger pangs stopped but I drink cal-free drinks regularly between meals. My BG is still persistently high, generally in the 6-7 range and sometimes up to 8 but I feel hugely better. I have only broken the diet once for my daughter's birthday when we went out for a meal but I compensated by not having the shakes that day. My plan, when I have completed the eight weeks is to switch to the 5:2 diet gradually, monitoring my weight to get the correct balance. I weigh myself daily but track my weekly average weight. Day-to-day weight fluctuates wildly and unpredictably due to hydration levels, bowel function and variations in daily energy use, hence the weekly average. I hope my BG stabilises at the end of all this; I've been diabetic for about six years so there's no guarantee but the other health benefits will be worthwhile. I sleep better, my blood pressure is lowering and I feel mentally more alert. It's working for me!
Guthlac

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Hi Bebo321 to be honest it's more about not putting weight on while I'm not able to go on the numb bum garage cycle machine or go for walks . I put 2lb on the 1st week I hurt my knee and was scared all my hard work in getting the 2 stone off was going to go to pot .
I still control my BS through diet and exercise after 3 years. I will start using my little weights tomorrow .

@Guthlac I can't do the shakes because I'm not a big milkshake fan and I loved to chew my food .
Since diagnosis I've reduced my carbs and that works . The 800 is easy for me because it's similar and I've reduced the amount of meat I'm eating which reduces the calories .
I do lower carb but can't do the high fat thing because I felt sick so I eat lots of green veg , a little meat and now little or no rice, pasta etc the usual .

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
800 calories a day would drive me insane, I consume between 3-4000cals a day and still want more. I would imagine your energy levels will go through the floor and you will feel like sh*t most of the time, I wouldn't recommend it at all.
but no.. that's not what happens.. I fast every other day prob less than 200 cals my energy levels are the same as the days I eat.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Day 12 FBS 5.7 today ., weight still the same 160( which is minus 2lb ) .
I think I'm not getting huge losses because I lost 2stone over a year ago and kept most of it off . Not worried though because I'm restricted activity wise and not putting weight on and that was the goal of this 800 thing for me.
My knee is feeling a bit less sore today so fingers crossed I'm on the road to mobility.
@littlecat I hope yours is improving too.

Reactions: 10 people

DaveNN

No longer hungry at all BUT do demolish my meals, as usual.
I've dropped 4lb since the above and my BG levels are still as above.
The highest PP I've had was after a lump of steak ( for some reason) and that was 6.4mmol. I really do hope that others reading this give it a go...

DaveNN

To be clear, I'm not touching the shakes...as I want this 'diet' to resemble real life now and after. When I do eat out I cannot expect Miller and Carter ( other restaurants are available) to blend up a rump steak for me. HOWEVER...this in no means me decrying the shake based diet, nor those who are enjoying ( or will soon enjoy) the benefits. I wish you all well.