This is where I am.....

jmays1973

I am trying to get back on track with taking care of myself and this disease. I am wanting to improve my physical and mental well being. I am here for support, to give encouragement and learn. I am just restarting my journey to a healthier and better me. Hello everyone!

Reactions: SaskiaKC

jwilki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am trying to get back on track with taking care of myself and this disease. I am wanting to improve my physical and mental well being. I am here for support, to give encouragement and learn. I am just restarting my journey to a healthier and better me. Hello everyone!
Best of luck I am sure you can do it. Loads of support on here.

Reactions: jmays1973

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

This is a great place for advice and support. You are in the hands of some truely amazing people. This site has resulted in me being healthier mentally and physically then I thought possible when I was first diagnosed.

It would be helpful to tell us a bot more about yourself. The different types of diabetes have significant differences and there are so many people on here that not matter what your type someone will be here to listen and help.

While I would never (at the moment) say the diagnosis was the best thing for me I will say than since this forum- not my doctor gave me great advice I have lost weight without trying, have felt a lot less hungry than ever before and have my blood sugar levels under control.

I keep very low carb. I'm a sweet tooth and carboholic and I find it easier keeping very low carb. I do use artificial sweeteners and at last after about 10 months in can see a time in the future that I will use much less sweeteners. For the moment I use them. Less than I would have thought but I know which ones don't spike me so I keep to them.

Good luck and welcome.

jmays1973

I am a Type II. I was diagnosed in 2008. My mother was Type I and passed away when I was 19 from a massive heart attack. I have two children, one is 23 and moved out and the other is 12. I work full time. I deal with a lot of foot pain ....numbness burning and sharp shooting pains.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a Type II. I was diagnosed in 2008. My mother was Type I and passed away when I was 19 from a massive heart attack. I have two children, one is 23 and moved out and the other is 12. I work full time. I deal with a lot of foot pain ....numbness burning and sharp shooting pains.
Welcome. Stick with us in here and hopefully we can help a lot. And how are you currently managing your diabetes? Medication? Which sort of way of eating? Can you tell us what a typical days food might be? Do you know what your hb1ac is?

if you look below this message at my signature there are a couple of red links. Click them and it takes you to pages with lots of information about how most of us mange it with low carb eating, many very successfully, avoiding or reducing medication and improving complications.

jmays1973

Welcome. Stick with us in here and hopefully we can help a lot. And how are you currently managing your diabetes? Medication? Which sort of way of eating? Can you tell us what a typical days food might be? Do you know what your hb1ac is?

if you look below this message at my signature there are a couple of red links. Click them and it takes you to pages with lots of information about how most of us mange it with low carb eating, many very successfully, avoiding or reducing medication and improving complications.

I can’t see signature or links.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@HSSS, when I click your blog it tells me I don't have permission to view it, so you might want to check your settings. @jmays1973 , https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html is one of the other links, my own blog, and if you're using the app you can't see signatures, that's on the PC website only. But I hope the Nutritional Thingy'll help you.

The pain you mention is called Peripheral Neuropathy, basically nerve damage due to prolonged high blood sugars. Are you getting any sort of treatment for the pain? Amitriptyline for instance? Or controversial but effective, weed? If you get your blood sugars under control, the damaged nerves can eventually heal themselves, but it takes a long time and might, at first, become worse before it gets better. You'll want to get your blood sugars under control, because if there's nerve damage, then there's damage in other areas too, most likely. Get your blood sugars down, and your body'll thank you.

Good luck!
Jo

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This is the right place to be: I've had some ups and downs with getting my db under very good control, then letting it get out of control; when I frequent this site, it helps me stay sensible

Last edited:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can’t see signature or links.
The “signature” is the bit between the message and the pictorial responses /posters name right at the very bottom. Generally contains a message or links

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@HSSS, when I click your blog it tells me I don't have permission to view it, so you might want to check your settings.
Interesting. Thanks for letting me know. I can’t find any settings beyond what I have already set to allow it be be viewed. Never done a blog post before and this happens. I’ll go back to the old fashioned way til I fix it. Can someone pm me how to do it please I’d be grateful.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You’ll probably have been or will be told something along the lines of all things in moderation, reduce sugar and fat, eat lots of fruit and veg. This advice has led to diabetes t2 being seen as progress and leading to more and more medication for the last few generations. Plenty of official sources still say this. However more and more are waking up to the reality and science that carbs or more specifically lowering carbs is the answer. It is NHS, ADA and NICE endorsed so safe.

Can I suggest you take a good look at LCHF ie low carb, higher fat (than recommended for the last few decades) methods of eating.

It’s how an awful lot of us get our blood sugar levels under control and for some even eliminate medications and achieve remission and also reduce or improve complications.

It is often the easiest and most sustainable form of weight loss for a type 2 if you need that. Other conditions often improve including but not limited to blood pressure, joint pain, inflammation, PCOS, and despite the dire warnings of the last few decades it improves cholesterol for most, yes improves cholesterol.

Some jump right on it, others edge their toes in a bit at a time.

Try clicking these links for more detailed explanations that are well worth readings. These is a lot here so go at your own pace.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.26870/

https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html for info including low carb made simple

And https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/success-stories-and-testimonials.43/ to show it really works and for motivation

also https://www.dietdoctor.com/ for more food ideas and general info of carb content of foods. Excellent site and first port of call for many getting their head round low carb.

Lots of other websites for recipes out there too. Just use the term low carb or keto with whatever you fancy. Be aware the the USA count carbs differently so be aware if you look at their counting, recipes or products. They include fibre in their count we don’t. So if it’s USA stuff deduct the fibre to get our figures. (Fibre isn’t generally digested thus doesn’t get counted)

Also it’s very important to be able to check for yourself what’s happening so you can make the necessary adjustments day to day and meal by meal rather than wait 3, 6 or even 12 months and then have no idea what had what effect. It also helps keep an eye out that any meds are working appropriately not too much or too little. Getting a blood glucose meter is the only way to do this (no matter what contradictory advice you may have heard - it’s usually budget based rather than anything more scientific). Test before a meal and 2hrs later hoping for a rise of 2mmol or less. More and the carbs eaten were too many! Please ask if you want any guidance on this.

IMPORTANT FOR ANYONE ON DIABETIC MEDS (other than metformin): if you lower your carbs then any glucose lowering meds or insulin increasing meds may need to be adjusted accordingly to make sure you aren’t taking more than your new diet requires. It can cause a hypo if you have more gliclazide or insulin etc than your new carb intake requires. (This is not a concern for metformin on its own). Keep a very close eye on your numbers and do this with your dr’s knowledge so they can reduce medication accordingly. Please don’t be put off by an ill informed out dated rubbishing of low carb diets or being told you should eat carbs to match meds, it should be the other way around. Low carb is endorsed by the NHS and the ADA as an effective method of control, even if the practice staff don’t realise that yet.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Hello, @jmays1973 and welcome. :)
I was glad to read your post first thing this morning. I am trying to get back on track too. It looks like we are in the same boat.

p0410.gif
p0405.gif

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, @ziggy_w, it is good to see you again. :)

Hi @SaskiaKC,

So good to see you too:). How are you? I miss you (and the others) and hope to join our thread again soon. Just busy with work, unfortunately.

P.S. Apologies for derailing this thread.

Last edited:

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The “signature” is the bit between the message and the pictorial responses /posters name right at the very bottom. Generally contains a message or links
Unfortunately signatures don't always display! It seems to depend on browser window display size Currently I never get to see signatures until I reduce this right down - which never used to be the case.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Unfortunately signatures don't always display! It seems to depend on browser window display size Currently I never get to see signatures until I reduce this right down - which never used to be the case.

I can see them on my laptop but not on my phone.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m wondering if it’s an app v browser issue?

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just tried accessing the site on my Android phone but through Google search instead of the app -- still can't see signatures.