1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

This year's flu injection

Discussion in 'Other Health Conditions and Diabetes' started by coco44, Oct 22, 2015.

1. misswhiplash

misswhiplash Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Agreed that the jab may well not be particularly effective and also agree that it is find to have irregular it depending on preference.

However, it's not just about being more suscetible to flu (I'm pretty sure I'm not, for example - as you say, I'm fairly well controlled and, tbh, am just not the kind of person that catches things generally). It's also about the effect that flu would have if you did happen to catch it - for most people, they'd be ill and miserable for a week or two and then get better, but for someone with diabetes, no matter how well controlled, the virus would be likely to play merry hell with their blood sugars, which could well lead to more serious problems/hospitalisation etc.

Similar deal for other "free flu jab" people - the elderly, the young, asthmatics etc - it's the complications that they are worried about.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Brian79

Brian79 Type 2 · Member

I've not had the flu jab in about 4-5 years as the last time I got it I was ill for 3 weeks then I got fibromyalgia, do some research the amount of mercury in it is 25 times more than is allowed in drinking water and the amount allowed in the body is zero

3. Chriskay7369

Chriskay7369 Type 2 · Newbie

I had mine about two months ago. I have only.just shrugged off what can only be explained as "flu-like symptoms" and for the first two weeks I had really bad pain in my upper arm and shoulder with pins and needles. I went to my GP and she said it was a combination of the fact that I probably had some cold symptoms at the time and my fibromyalgia.

4. 2131tom

2131tom Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I was exactly the same - a day later I wouldn't have known I'd had it.

5. Star47

Star47 · Member

When I checked the ingredients list on this years vacine there was no mercury in it, I researched each ingredient, as I would want to avoid mercury or any other nasties. That is still not to say though I like the thought of having it, it is my son who has the diabetes so I always check the ingredients, and he has only had 2 injections in his 7 years of having type 1, his choice.

6. Dark Horse

Dark Horse · Well-Known Member

It doesn't sound like it would be related to the vaccine. It sounds more likely to be a structural problem such as pinched nerves in the neck. There is some advice here file:///C:/Users/Family/Downloads/2024-Neck-pain-inc-exercises.pdf but I would see the GP in the next few days if maintaining good posture and gentle mobility exercises don't improve it. If you get severe pins and needles or numbness, see the GP straight away.

7. Dark Horse

Dark Horse · Well-Known Member

Slightly poor reporting from the Independent - the 3% applied only to the main strain of flu circulating, not all flu strains so the overall benefit was higher. As the flu virus mutates so quickly, it's always difficult for scientists to predict what strains to vaccinate against. Usually they make a good guess but if there's a new mutation after the vaccine has been developed there's nothing they can do. It still provided worthwhile protection.

There's an excellent article which explains it and comments on the poor reporting here:- http://www.nhs.uk/news/2015/02February/Pages/Flu-jab-is-not-a-waste-of-time.aspx

8. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

I have had flu (real flu) twice in my 48 year long life.

So i think exposing myself annually, to something with such long odds of being of benefit to me is a waste of my time and a waste of NHS money.

• Like Like x 2
    #48 Brunneria, Nov 29, 2015 at 9:15 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2015
  9. Lindyloo

Lindyloo · Member

Yes I had my flu jab and four days later got flu which wiped me out for two weeks. Never had a problem with the jab before.

10. bilb_baggins

bilb_baggins Type 1 · Member

had mine in October felt unwell for 3 or 4 days but that was all I always feel like that after my flu jab

11. KathrynB

KathrynB Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I had mine a month ago. Sore arm but not bad, but the day after I felt a bit fluey. This disappeared and about 3 days later I started feeling like I was fighting off a bug. I'm still tired and have a lot of catarrh and feel generally a bit miserable- most unlike me. I feel just like I'm getting over flu. The strange thing is that I had the pneumococcus vaccine in June and felt yuk for a month after that too.

12. Leighwhiting

Leighwhiting · Newbie

Hi,
    I had my jab last Monday and today is the first day I have been able to get up. 4 hours after having the jab I had a terrible headache and felt very hot. Went to bed and was feverish, body ached etc. 2 days later vomited a lot and had diahriar . The bad head and dizzyness is mild today but, 6 days later I still have a bad stomach. Have only been eating the last two days, soups, but it has gone straight through me. The first time I have ever been ill after a jab.

13. DeepSoft

DeepSoft Type 2 · Newbie

Yes I had it before 3 weeks, I am also experiencing the body pains and stomach pains since then...... Whenever I told the same thing to doctor, he says it can not prevent you from all viral infections , you must have caught some viral infection.

14. Brian79

Brian79 Type 2 · Member

I honestly don't know why people still get the flu jag do your research on it and it will open your eyes to why you should stay well clear

15. ladybird64

ladybird64 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Because for some of us, getting flu can be life threatening. It isn't always a straightforward choice and it can come down to the lesser of two evils, which is why I had it done.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Brian79

Brian79 Type 2 · Member

Everybody is entitled to their opinion and the flu jag=evil to me I'll take my chances,the flu jag it's self can kill you and what protection does it give you I'm sure it's 3% not much in the grand scheme of things

17. ladybird64

ladybird64 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, I was responding to your comment that you didn't know why people still got the flu jag done. Maybe it does offer little protection but it's still something. Like I said, if flu is something that can endanger life, then it's not worth the risk.

18. Fuggs

Fuggs Type 2 · Well-Known Member

What a dumb answer from the Dr....

19. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

Daily Mail today has probably put more people off having flu jabs!!

20. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

When I saw my GP a couple of weeks ago she asked if I wanted the flu jab. I told her I have a phobia about injections and asked if I could have the nasal spray that kids are given, but she said that was only available for children.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook