1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

This year's flu injection

Discussion in 'Other Health Conditions and Diabetes' started by coco44, Oct 22, 2015.

1. misswhiplash

misswhiplash Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Snap... I always spend the intervening year forgetting how painful it is!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

Total agreement.

The reason diabetics are at higher risk from flu than non- diabetics is simply because their increased bg levels suppresses their immune system.

Provided we are able to maintain normal or near-normal bg levels, there is no need to inject such a questionable product.

The article below shows that last year's jab only benefited 3% of those injected, because the manufacturers chose to produce a product that protected against the wrong flu strain.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...versal-protection-against-virus-10469703.html

#22 Brunneria, Nov 1, 2015 at 4:18 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2015
  3. hsalinas

hsalinas · Newbie

My arm was very sore for a couple days and I felt under the weather for a couple days. I already have severe allergies but my stomach was more sensitive for a while as well and I'm not sure if they are related. The arm pain is typical anyways.

4. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

I just hope that people who have had adverse reactions do indeed report them to the MHRA website.

Its the only true way for the true analysis rlof reactions to be evaluated.

5. Fuggs

Fuggs Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I prefer to u
    I prefer to up the antioxidants. D3,E,Q10, magnesium etc.etc.

6. amanda19640

amanda19640 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi had mine last Wednesday and past two night have had pain at night in both shoulders with pins & needles not pleasant.

7. al_leister

al_leister Type 2 · Well-Known Member

To do or not to do; this is the question I ask myself every year.

Going for jab on Tuesday morning; never had a bad reaction since starting the programme three years ago but often wonder do I really need it as I am as fit as a vegetarian butcher’s dog!

8. Carol__Ann

Carol__Ann · Newbie

Had an achy arm & shoulder that same day, which has continued, felt under the weather and then had a violent upset stomach which lasted 24hrs have developed a cold ( which is unusual for me) Was surprised to have any reaction don't usually suffer any.

9. ladybird64

ladybird64 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hiya. I'm just curious if there would be any circumstances where you would consider getting the jab done, say if you had a respiratory illness? Hypothetical I know but as I'm a T2 (apparently "cured" lol) with asthma, I wondered if you would have the same view if you had other health issues where you were advised to have the jab.

Ta in advance.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Kesh123

Kesh123 Type 1 · Newbie

It basically gives me flu when I have it done! Haven't had it for 2 years now as it makes me feel so **** xo

11. loucoxx

loucoxx · Newbie

• Like Like x 2
  12. Fuggs

No never. I have always resolved respiratory problems by nebulising with colloidal (proper) silver.

13. Belladonna68

Belladonna68 Type 2 · Member

I have been going out of my mind with worry!! I also had the jab about three weeks ago and the aching shoulder and arm still persist! I am an aerial gymnast so thought it was an injury and have been putting off doing anything about it in case they tell me I have to take a break (will lose loads of fitness if I take a break)! I did think it was the flu jab that did it initially, but it never occurred to me that it could last so long. I've just spent most of my day today trying to figure out what I might have done to injure myself. Sort of relieved by the possibility that it might not be an actual injury. However, if this is associated to the jab, where do we go from here?

• Like Like x 2
  14. ladybird64

ladybird64 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Nope, I've never had of that one before! Glad you have found something that works for you:)

• Like Like x 2
  15. peppermintT

peppermintT Type 2 · Newbie

16. peppermintT

peppermintT Type 2 · Newbie

Hi Everyone

I had a nasty cold 4 days after this years flu jab. This also happened to me 2 years ago after the flu job. After I recovered from the cold - 5 days- I went down with another half a cold for another 5 days , which caused blocked nose all evening and until 11am.
    I'd still rather have this sort of thing than the flu, but next year I shall be timing my flu jab carefully to allow the 5 days for a cold!

• Like Like x 2
  17. PatsyB

PatsyB Type 2 · Well-Known Member

had the flue jab for years with no ill effects however this year i got a cold three days after having the jab might be coincidental but i am blaming the jab....laughs

• Like Like x 2
  18. Cil1512_

Cil1512_ Type 2 · Newbie

Hi ive never reacted but this year i had a sore arm for a few days with pain travelling up my shoulder into my neck and still have an awful cold i had my jab 2 weeks ago

19. minime

minime Type 1 · Newbie

Yes I have. Had the jab two weeks ago and have developed a sinus infection and bad cold which I can't seem to shake off. Blood sugar 16.5 this morning and 17.5 before lunch despite correction doses of novorapid. This is the first time for years that Ive been ill after a flu jab apart from a sore arm for a few days. Could be coincidental, of course, but makes me wonder! My blood sugar control has been haywire. GP gave me some antibiotics for the sinus infection but feel really drained.

20. Fuggs

Too many ramifications with anti biotic s etc for my liking.
    They do so much more damage than they solve sometimes.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook