1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Thrush

Discussion in 'Greetings and Introductions' started by Jo114, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Jo114

Jo114 Type 2 · Member

hi, I was diagnosed type 2 in May and since then I've had thrush about every 3 weeks , does anyone else suffer with this it's driving me mad and I'm not sure what's making my levels spike for this to happen

• Like Like x 1
  2. Daks

Daks Type 2 · Well-Known Member

3. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Hi. Have you got a glucose meter? The thrush is almost certainly your blood sugar going into the teens and the kidneys dumping glucose. The solution is a mix of a low carb diet and possibly some medication such as Metformin. What was your last HBa1C and what meds and diet are you on?

• Hug Hug x 1
  4. lynn007

lynn007 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I was like that and eventually was sent to gynecologist it was not thrush it was Lichen sclerosis which needs a lot of attention do not waste time because it is a serious skin condition.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Jo114

Jo114 Type 2 · Member

I have my own meter and when I check in the morning so at least 8-10 hours after eating the reading is about 13 to 17

6. Shar67

Shar67 · Guest

@Jo114 i agree with @lynn007 you need to go to your doctor to check it is thrush, there are a couple of other things that high blood glucose causes.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jo114

Jo114 Type 2 · Member

Thanks, I'm on metformin 4 a day plus atorvastatin , I'll check with my diabetes nurse on my next check in a week or so

8. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

I second the advice to get checked out, but it's very possible it is 'just' thrush as that's a high blood sugar.

When you see your nurse, do let them know about your high levels as reducing those may help a lot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Jo114

Jo114 Type 2 · Member

I've been cutting things out as recommended any idea what could spike my levels to cause the thrush , does anyone's else suffer from this

10. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

If it is thrush and is caused by the high sugars, reducing your carbs should help.

You've saud you wake up high but what's your blood sugar when you go to bed? That is, is it going high overnight or just high all the time?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jo114

Jo114 Type 2 · Member

I've never checked it before bed , I will check tomorrow

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jo114

Jo114 Type 2 · Member

Just had my 3 month check and my levels have gone up , feeling confused

13. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

Can you give us an example of a day's food for you? There may be little things you can improve on.

Did the nurse say anything about your higher levels or offer any help?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook