Thrush

Michellelake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Guys, I'm sick of getting thrush all the time (vaginal and occasionally oral). The doctors say there is nothing they can do for me and that it is due to me being a diabetic. If anyone can give me literally ANY tips to keep it at bay (preferably stop it), you'd be a life saver.

Thanks in advance!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Michellelake Sorry that must be awful to deal with, as it's a yeast infection it literally thrives off high bg levels, so first question to check is are you keeping your levels in range ? as running high enables the bacteria to thrive more as it feeds off sugar.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello @Michellelake and welcome to the forum. There are medications that can treat this, antibiotics, canesten and fluconazole spring to mind immediately, as well as oral gel, so it's a bit puzzling that your drs say they can't do anything for you. I suggest you have a word with a pharmacist for advice. Sometimes it can take a longer course to eradicate it, if you've had it for a while.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I don’t know how old you are @Michellelake, but if you need it there’s also a vaginal pessary doctors can prescribe that help lubricate to prevent the yeast entering.
Ask them about it?

• Agree
Reactions: Hopeful34

mariavontrapp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I presume the doctor has checked that your discomfort is thrush and not vaginal bacterial vaginosis?
I have found Acti-gel products to be very helpful.
Maybe this web page would help?

• Agree
Reactions: Lainie71

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
hypos and forum bugs
I've had thrush an alarmingly large number of times in the past. (Used to be that every time I had a smear test they would tell me that I had it.)

Reducing bgs definitely helped but other things to note are that it can be transferred on things like towels and if you have a partner (of either sex) they can get it too, so it's worth making sure you aren't transferring the infection back and forth.

I agree a pharmacist might be able to help. Personally when I had it badly I took the pill that's supposed to kill it internally then a long course of pessaries.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

Nicola M

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had it more times last year than I didn't, they ended up giving me a slightly longer course of antibiotics/cream treatments which I took for roughly 4 months. That was only because it was recorded on my records that I'd had it a lot in a short space of time. They do say having good BG control is ideal and will prevent you from getting it as often although in my case I still got it regardless. Since I've had my longer course of treatment touch wood I haven't had it since, perhaps you can ask your GP about that?

Reactions: EllieM

CheeseSeaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People arguing over silly stuff
Have to admit I got 'somewhat tired' (please pick own expletive) of it at one stage - did a load of unproductive googling till I hit on a post about 'jock-itch'.

Essentially when I put my under pants on me an them were clean, but any infection from my feet could have been carried on the (incredibly attractive) underwear.

Put socks on before my pants - much reduced chance of thrush occurring.

Might be worth a go.