Thyroid and Keto

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I have been hearing and researching Thyroid and Keto...Although Keto can be fine with and under-active thyroid, it is not good for long term. Many women who have been on Keto long term are now having metabolism problems. They have either gained weight or cannot lose anymore. Has anybody here had this problem?..Although I am talking about women who have been on Keto long term, say 3 years or more...I am on Keto but have gained weight and cannot lose anymore even though I have done all that I can. I have been on Keto for 4 years now. I do have a Thyroid problem, but many women who did not have a Thyroid problem, do have now after long term keto

pre-predb

I have been hearing and researching Thyroid and Keto...Although Keto can be fine with and under-active thyroid, it is not good for long term. Many women who have been on Keto long term are now having metabolism problems. They have either gained weight or cannot lose anymore. Has anybody here had this problem?..Although I am talking about women who have been on Keto long term, say 3 years or more...I am on Keto but have gained weight and cannot lose anymore even though I have done all that I can. I have been on Keto for 4 years now. I do have a Thyroid problem, but many women who did not have a Thyroid problem, do have now after long term keto
Hi! I have an underactive thyroid and have been following a pretty low-carb diet for some years (not necessarily keto) in an attempt to lose a stubborn 4-5kg. I find it very hard to lose any weight despite diet and exercise. In the first lockdown - spring/summer 2020 - I took the opportunity of making every single thing I ate under my control (no eating out etc), and went very low carb. As a result, I managed to lose half a stone over 3 months (although, interestingly, my Hba1c stuck resolutely at 40.) Two years on, eating low carb seems to make very little, if no, difference to my weight - and Hba1c is still 40! I had a blood test recently and pushed for an increase in my levothyroxine but the doctor didn't want to. It is very frustrating.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Derry, I don't deliberately follow a keto diet, although I'm certainly low carb and sometimes keto.

My weight is stable - varying 2kg either way, over the last almost 8 years. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism along the way, but am now in a bit of a holding pattern as far as my thyroid is concerned.

One thing I would say is that diabetes (particularly T2) is very common. Thyroid challenges - particularly hypothyroidism is also very common, so it is likely that those with both conditions would also be very common.

Personally, I have no intention of increasing my carb intake as a result of my thyroid challenges, and my Endo is supportive of my approach to managing both my T2 and thyroid. For full disclosure although we have chatted about my T2 and longer-term remission status, my Endo only treats my hypothyroidism.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was taking 200micrograms of Thyroxine daily for many years, but went low carb at diagnosis and have stuck to it. My intake of Thyroxine is 125 micrograms now, and I will be checked to see if it needs to be reduced further when I go for my next blood test.
Far from damage, low carb seems to be resurrecting my defunct thyroid.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Tank you all for your replies. I have been on Keto and low carb now for 5 years..I seemed to have stalled for the past year. I cannot for the life of me lose anymore weight..If anything I have put some more weight back on. This seem's quite common with women who have been on Keto or low carb long term, hence reading that it can affect a woman's metabolism. Some women either stall or put some weight back on, even if their diet as not changed...I am pre diabetic and have an underactive Thyroid, and am on 75 MG Thyroxine..Wonder if I need my dosage increased.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi derry60, sorry to hear about your problems. Can you provide a link referencing the statements you make about keto and under-active thyroid, for example

"keto... is not good for long term. Many women who have been on Keto long term are now having metabolism problems."

That would help everyone to understand how relevant the issue is for them.

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Lots of things tend to affect weight loss: sleep or lack of it, which can be an issue with thyroid(under and overactive), Hormonal issues such as menopause, stress...just about anything you can think of. Personally, I wouldn't blame keto. Weight loss is a fickle thing, and I believe at some point or another, weight loss can plateau. Once that happens it can be quite difficult to restart. If you've been doing a keto diet and losing weight, have you adjusted your macros? They may need to change.

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd also be careful which sources your research comes from!