Tim Feris, slow carb diet anyone any oppinions

andrene64

Dislikes
many things
I have been reading this book Tim Feris "4 Hour Workout" but with more interest the slow carb diet and the introduction of beans as laungue beans .

Has anyone any oppions on this style of low carbing it is very strict and restrictive.

I am new here I look forward to chattting and posting and sharing oppinions and your advice

Andrene x

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,
Welcome to the forum,

I didn't know anything about it so I looked it up. I'm not a T2 diabetic and I don't need to lose weight (but like most people I have been on diets before!) so my opinion isn't from experience as person with T2.

The first thing I saw I didn't like
'How to lose 20lbs of weight in 30 days without exercise' As some one with diabetes you have to look for something you can sustain for a long time, not a quick fix and exercise is brilliant for decreasing insulin resistance.

Having said that the elements of the diet seem to be quite 'conventional' Proteins in the form of egg whites with one whole egg for flavor, chicken, beef Pork
Starches in the form of legumes like lentils and dried beans plus a variety of veg.

The starches are what are called low gi ie they are absorbed more slowly into your body and so don't have a dramatic effect on the blood glucose (things like bread made from processed flour,mashed potatoes and white rice may in any quantity, raise your glucose levels rapidly and to high levels)Indeed this is very much the type of diet I have seen advocated my a French diabetes doctor (I live in France), his opinion was that legumes should form the basis of starches eaten but that it was difficult to get people to eat many of them.

As to whether it would work for you, if you think you would enjoy it, then try it. It would be best if you were able to test your blood gucose levels before and after some of your meals. That way you can look at the rise and see if it is within limits. Unfortunately many people with T2 find it difficult to get strips.
I would suggest, if you are able that exercise is also very important. It doesn't necessarily have to involve getting sweaty at the gym. Gardening, walking and even some forms of housework are good exercise.

andrene64

Dislikes
many things
P thank you for taking the time to go and read about him and I very much appreciate your ideas on this style of low carbing,
I am thinking of taking elelments from his research and as you said see how that style of low carbing impacts on my system. This takes you back the age old problem with restrictive diets i have found is one size rarely fits all, and is true of most in the dieting world.
I began this week and instantly hit a brick wall due to lack of organisation and knowledge of the diet

A