Time off work...

DaveTheRave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cauliflower
Hi guys, Iv been off work since Thursday and will be off for another week. I am struggling like hell to keep the levels down, and this morning I was @ bloody 18 after goin to sleep at 10! Do you think I need to increase my background insulin and how much by? Any help greatly appreciated!

Dave

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you off work due to infection ? Are you active at work and less so now because of illness? What insulins do you take ? Any change in eating patterns, eg foods higher in fat than you are used to ?

Sorry for the questions, but the answers influence any answers given :)

Signy

Reactions: 3 people

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Also I wouldnt make any changes in background without doing overnight testing, you could find its a hypo rebound or dawn phenominon.

Reactions: 3 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Assuming your off work ill then you need to apply the Sick Day Rules to bring your bg levels down:

http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/info/?page_id=141

If your just on holiday then you should do some basal testing to see if your background insulin needs increasing, don't just go off one high reading if this mornings is just a one-off..

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If you are always higher than , say, 7 mmol in the morning then I would try increasing the Basal by one unit and seeing what the morning fasting level is the next day and so on. Make only small changes and test. Why were you off work?

Hollister

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes :p
You probably need to increase it by one or two units. Slowly until whatever is wrong goes away.