Time To Work It...

Daks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey folks, so a quick run down of the past 10 weeks.

Diagnosed 10 weeks ago on the 26th Jan as type 2, found this forum and quickly gained control of my bloods. At diagnosis I was 220 lbs with a BMI of 33.8 - I'm now 182lbs with a BMI 28,4, weight loss was rapid upon starting the LCHF.

My Hba1c at diagnosis was 101mmol/l - Have my next HbA1c on the 27th this month. my monthly meter average is now 5.5mmol.l, so I'm hoping this will be a big
improvement.

Which brings me to the reason I'm posting this thread, my weight loss has reached it's plateau and it's time to start becoming active and fit. I brought a treadmill even though everyone said "just go out and run" had it a week but I'm not doing it right as my legs are in pain, so much so I didn't walk / run tonight.

I have lived a very lazy sedentary lifestyle but want to change this, very motivated at the moment but with soooooo much information online, it's hard to know what exactly to do.

So I'm hoping you folks can give me some good tips, links and a push in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: 6 people

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Hi Daks.
You are doing realy well.
Groupon have some very good Gym deals in London if you are intrested in that sort of thing.
My son uses them all the time,Its about £25 for 10 sessions,It comes up every few weeks.

Reactions: 2 people

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey folks, so a quick run down of the past 10 weeks.

Diagnosed 10 weeks ago on the 26th Jan as type 2, found this forum and quickly gained control of my bloods. At diagnosis I was 220 lbs with a BMI of 33.8 - I'm now 182lbs with a BMI 28,4, weight loss was rapid upon starting the LCHF.

My Hba1c at diagnosis was 101mmol/l - Have my next HbA1c on the 27th this month. my monthly meter average is now 5.5mmol.l, so I'm hoping this will be a big
improvement.

Which brings me to the reason I'm posting this thread, my weight loss has reached it's plateau and it's time to start becoming active and fit. I brought a treadmill even though everyone said "just go out and run" had it a week but I'm not doing it right as my legs are in pain, so much so I didn't walk / run tonight.

I have lived a very lazy sedentary lifestyle but want to change this, very motivated at the moment but with soooooo much information online, it's hard to know what exactly to do.

So I'm hoping you folks can give me some good tips, links and a push in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.
Hola daks

Go with what you feel comfortable with. When I was diagnosed in august 2014 I wouldn't have been able to run 1 mile non stop. Next Sunday I am running the Brighton marathon! Find something, anything that motivated and excites you and remember your in it for the long run now. The only competition is yourself. Go slow to go long and enjoy.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I would agree about joining a gym. I joined one just Christmas Eve last year for the first time in my life and I don't regret it. I go quite often (73 times so far!). Strength training will make you feel better and help with running. Don't be intimidated - the staff will show you how to use the machines/weights and even help set up a routine for you. You can even hire a personal trainer if you are feeling masochistic. Yes, there will muscular young men lifting enormous weights (apologies to any muscular young men who lift enormous weights reading this), but there will be regular people as well just trying to stave off an early death. I went all in and bought a 1 year membership, but you can get something shorter or pay per visit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Walk before you can run?

Daks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a small exclusive gym not far from me, I will go chat to one of the personal trainers on Monday and hopefully book a consultation.

Thanks for the advice folks, sincerely.

Reactions: 4 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Very helpful Jack

:meh:
I'm being serious.
If running hurts after not being very active it might make sense to go for walks ......

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a small exclusive gym not far from me, I will go chat to one of the personal trainers on Monday and hopefully book a consultation.

Ask your diabetic nurse if they have a local 'health trainer'. As a diabetic if your local NHS isbpart of the scheme you will get access to reduced local gym membership or similar in your area.

Daks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok so I have a consultation booked for Friday. What should I consider eating pre workout ? Should I be testing during workout ?

Thanks in advance.
Daks

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Ok so I have a consultation booked for Friday. What should I consider eating pre workout ? Should I be testing during workout ?

Thanks in advance.
Daks
Not carbs! Something healthy like fresh veg and meat, but not too much and not right before.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I just had liver, bacon, and onions for supper and I'll be working out in a couple of hours:
IMG_1460.JPG

Daks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had my first session this morning, the PT was brutal and I wanted it to end, but when it was over and I got outside, I felt fantastic and wanted to go back in!

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Excellent! Keep it up. I've been lifting weights regularly for the last 3 months and I feel great. It's nice to have a bit more muscle. Hopefully the new muscle helps with blood glucose control.

Daks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Excellent! Keep it up. I've been lifting weights regularly for the last 3 months and I feel great. It's nice to have a bit more muscle. Hopefully the new muscle helps with blood glucose control.

No turning back now, feels way to good, I'm gonna run diabetes out of town.

Daks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Update:

Doing a day on day off, already starting to see muscle and veins not seen for years. Heart thumping and legs burning but feeling great.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Good luck daks, I use my teems skipping rope sometimes, just to make sure I still can, skipping ropes are cheap, you can do it any time you like, at your own pace, I remember boxers doing this and well it definitely toned up their bodies, it's great exercise. In our town I know of one large park and two smaller ones that have fitness equipment for the public to use. It's good fun too, and wont cost a penny, but it depends on the weather as well . Just remembered a fitness trail as well in a another park, so lots if freebies and being out and about is great for your overall well being too. Good luck, thumbs up :)

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Soon you will become addicted to your exercise , you wont be willing to give up on the "feel good" after each session.