Timing of exercise

DiabeticGeek

Do you find that timing of exercise after eating is important? I am a newly diagnosed T2, and I have just started monitoring the last few days - so it is way too early to draw any conclusions yet. However, one thing that I have noticed is that exercising half an hour after eating seems to pretty much prevent a BG spike in comparison with the same meal not followed by exercise.

My GP told me to exercise for at least 45 minutes per day. Now since I live about 25 minutes bike ride from my work I suggested that I cycle to work, and he said that sounded ideal. However, I am now starting to think that this might not be ideal timing. In the morning, this would mean exercise after breakfast, but no exercise at lunch and in the evening the exercise is before eating.

What do people think?

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
hi DiabeticGeek,
Any exercise you can take throughout the day will help potentiate your body's insulin.
It doesn't have to be precisely timed around meals.
It doesn't even need to be jogging or cycling - just washing the car is better
than sitting in front the TV.

They don't call television "a bullet in the head" for no reason. :|

all the best,
timo.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yup, insulin certainly works harder during and after exercise. If you're using insulin, you can use this to your advantage by using less if you intend to cycle straight after breakfast, for example.

The cycling is a great idea - I've done it every day for years. It's ideal when that sort of discipline becomes part of your daily routine, so that you don't have to set aside a specific time in your schedule to fit something else in. Also, the additional lean muscle mass you'll develop will keep your metabolic rate higher that it might otherwise be. It all helps.

All the best,

fergus