1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Tips to lower hba1c?

Discussion in 'Type 3c (Pancreatic) Diabetes' started by _becs, Apr 21, 2019.

1. _becs

_becs Type 1 · Member

Hi,

Has anyone got any tips to help lower hba1c?
    I seem to get told to lower it but not advised how other than try to bolus 15 mins before eating and extending the bolus.
    Found it more difficult since starting creon and just changed to Omnipod pump from Animas.

2. Scott-C

Scott-C Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi, @_becs , the main things I've found useful for safely lowering a1c are getting cgm and reading Sugar Surfing by Stephen Ponder, it's on kindle.

Getting cgm will obviously depend on scripting policy in your area, and, if not available, will depend on your finances. Libre sensors are about £100 per month, dexcom can work out the same or cheaper as there are simple ways of restarting them after their "official" 10 day life.

I use libre, free on script, with a MiaoMiao transmitter (one-off cost of £160) on top, sending to the android app xDrip+ (free).

Because I'm getting readings every 5 mins on my phone, it means I can make much more sensible decisions about when to tweak and nudge things a bit to stay in range, and other things like figuring out pre-bolus timings for different types of meals; corrective bolus if it looks like the meal one was too low; basal checking; setting hyper alerts so I can pin a developing high with a few units long before it gets too messy.

Sugar Surfing discusses all those techniques in detail, well worth a read.

The key to getting a safely lower a1c is basically just not to go above 10 too much: this is a lot easier with cgm, but still do-able on strips. If I see about an hour or two after a meal that it's racing skyward, I'm not slow to fire in another unit or two to pin that before it even gets to 8.

3. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi @_becs Just checking if you intentionally meant to post this in the Type 3c area of the forum ? If not I can move it to the type 1 area for you - just let me know as it will gain greater visibility amongst other type 1's there ?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook