Type 2 Tired after eating!

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone else feel tired after they have eaten? Is it a problem for Diabetics Type 2 or is it just me lol
Hello:)

It may just be that feeling we get when we've eaten a healthy portion; it's often jokingly referred to a "food coma". But it's the same reason why most mammals snooze after eating.

What I think it's more likely to be though, is a direct symptom of hyperglycemia. When a diabetic eats, their BG rises to a peak and then gradually falls back down. The higher it goes, the more lethargic we can feel. Did you have a lot of carbohydrate in your meal by any chance?

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/Diabetes-and-Hyperglycaemia.html

The only way to be sure though is by testing your BG; have a read here for some information on this:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-testing.html

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

Reactions: callumchilled

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is only a problem if you have been eating carbs! Too many carbs make you tired and sleepy. It is because the more carbs you eat the higher your blood glucose will be, and high blood glucose makes you tired.

Can you tell us what you typically eat in a day? Maybe we can spot something.

What diabetes medication are you taking, if any?

colette1958

Hello:)

It may just be that feeling we get when we've eaten a healthy portion; it's often jokingly referred to a "food coma". But it's the same reason why most mammals snooze after eating.

What I think it's more likely to be though, is a direct symptom of hyperglycemia. When a diabetic eats, their BG rises to a peak and then gradually falls back down. The higher it goes, the more lethargic we can feel. Did you have a lot of carbohydrate in your meal by any chance?
I had two small slices of toasted white bread with a Slice of Gouda cheese and a slice of lean ham + Activia Yogurt. To be honest it doesn't matter what I eat I feel the same way. I do struggle with something for lunch while at work.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had two small slices of toasted white bread with a Slice of Gouda cheese and a slice of lean ham + Activia Yogurt. To be honest it doesn't matter what I eat I feel the same way. I do struggle with something for lunch while at work.
Two slices of white bread is in no way a lot of carbs; but it can certainly result in a BG spike. White bread is probably one of the biggest culprits in spiking BG.

I'm a T1, so my approach is different entirely - but you may want to try changing from white bread to brown bread as an alternative. Brown bread typically has a lower GI so you shouldn't spike as hard; although many T2's on here will disagree.

As I've said, you won't know until you test - and until then, we can only make bold assumptions:)

colette1958

Medication: Metformin slow release 2 x 500mg daily, omeprazole 2 x daily, Glucoside 1 x daily & Sitagliptin 100mg 1 x daily.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
We are generally most insulin resistant ( carb sensitive) in the morning so perhaps eggs? Or something other than toast? Maybe the ham and cheese in a lettuce wrap?

I can get tired after eating especially if it's a large meal. I need a rather small bf or I will head for a nap. I have half an avocado.

Starchy carbs make me comatose any time of day.

colette1958

Two slices of white bread is in no way a lot of carbs; but it can certainly result in a BG spike. White bread is probably one of the biggest culprits in spiking BG.

I'm a T1, so my approach is different entirely - but you may want to try changing from white bread to brown bread as an alternative. Brown bread typically has a lower GI so you shouldn't spike as hard; although many T2's on here will disagree.

As I've said, you won't know until you test - and until then, we can only make bold assumptions:)
I have been called into see the Diabetic nurse tomorrow for my 6 month test results so I am assuming they must be higher than normal, will see tomorrow. Thank you for your replies.

colette1958

We are generally most insulin resistant ( carb sensitive) in the morning so perhaps eggs? Or something other than toast? Maybe the ham and cheese in a lettuce wrap?

I can get tired after eating especially if it's a large meal. I need a rather small bf or I will head for a nap. I have half an avocado.

Starchy carbs make me comatose any time of day.
Thanks, I am beginning to wonder about trying the low Carb diet, its just getting my head around it.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
2 slices of bread (of whatever colour) and an Activia yogurt is high carb, and not entirely suitable for Type 2 diabetics as they are almost certain to cause a large blood sugar spike post meal, which in turn will make your sleepy.

Do you test your own levels? If you don't have a meter I suggest you buy one. You can then see for yourself, on a meal by meal basis, what your levels are and what your food choices are doing to you.

A low carb diet is the best way forward, although on your medication you will need to self test very regularly to make sure you don't drop too low.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, I am beginning to wonder about trying the low Carb diet, its just getting my head around it.
Low carb really is the way to go as a type 2. As said, your sugars are probably high and inducing sleepiness.

It will be different from your present diet but still just as tasty. It's really very simple. Just push the carbs off, replace with veggies and healthy fats like avocado, olive oil, nuts, olives. Skip the breads ( all colors) pasta, rice, sweet fruits, potato etc and fill that area in with above ground veggies of all kinds. Almost anything that goes on bread can go on a salad or lettuce wrap. Or just rolled up and eaten with your hands. Anything that goes on pasta, potato, rice, root veg an go on protein or veggies. It's nearly a matter of pushing away the carbs.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

colette1958

2 slices of bread (of whatever colour) and an Activia yogurt is high carb, and not entirely suitable for Type 2 diabetics as they are almost certain to cause a large blood sugar spike post meal, which in turn will make your sleepy.

Do you test your own levels? If you don't have a meter I suggest you buy one. You can then see for yourself, on a meal by meal basis, what your levels are and what your food choices are doing to you.

A low carb diet is the best way forward, although on your medication you will need to self test very regularly to make sure you don't drop too low.
Thank you for replying its all very helpful and I had no idea Activia was high carb. I have brought a chicken salad for lunch today to see if it makes any difference and I am at the diabetic nurse appointment later today so will ask a few more questions. I do have a meter but only use it now and again. The doctors tell me you don't need to test if your Type 2.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for replying its all very helpful and I had no idea Activia was high carb. I have brought a chicken salad for lunch today to see if it makes any difference and I am at the diabetic nurse appointment later today so will ask a few more questions. I do have a meter but only use it now and again. The doctors tell me you don't need to test if your Type 2.

It is all a big learning curve, so don't worry about things you don't yet know. This forum will help you with any questions you have. If you have a look at the nutritional information label on your Activia, and on any other packaged food, look for the "total carbohydrate" amount. (Ignore the "of which sugars" because the sugars are included in the total amount). That will tell you how many grams of carbs per 100g there are in that product. If it is 10g per 100g that is 10%, so 10% of the portion size you eat is carb. You can then work out the actual number of grams in your chosen portion size.

Most of us are told not to test if we are T2 not on insulin, but this is wrong. Testing before and after eating tells you exactly what that meal has done to your levels and gives you the chance to reduce the carbohydrate portion size or eliminate something next time. Your nurse won't agree, but the best bet is just ignore her. It is your health at stake, not hers. Testing is taking control.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Carbs really knock me out. Pre-low carbing I used to fall asleep on the sofa most evenings after dinner and sometimes, if I'd had a big lunch, I'd fall asleep in the afternoon, too. As the others have said you might find your sleepiness goes if you substantially reduce your carbs.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
your lunch could be 60 gm of carb or more - two slices of bread are typically 40 gm of carb just to start off. Activia is low fat - always bad news.
There are lots of other foods you could try - the Lidl protein rolls are really good, and most people find that they do not spike their BG.

callumchilled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bigotry, Superiority, Bullying.
I’ve always gotten really tired after eating, and a couple of weeks ago, I passed out in the middle of the road and woke up in hospital. they told me I had type 2 diabetes. My blood sugars were in the low to mid 20’s and my AbCa1 (or whatever it is) was 92.4. Does this mean I’ve always been diabetic? They’ve put me on Metfartin 1000mg a day, it’s a bit of a strain on the old abdomen, must tell doc about that, but seems to have brought my sugar levels down to the 9’s or early teens.