Tired of flu an ketones

cezli84

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
needles and Diabetes!
So this week has been the worst so far in my 11 months of being a T1. Ive had flu since last week and sugars kept creeping up even when i didn't eat for fear of throwing up. I tried my best to keep hydrated but today in work i almost passed out. My sugars were at 22 an ketones 1.4. Went to hosp and spent most of the day there. I was put on a drip after bloods an urine samples taken. Sugars were down to 14 and ketones to 0.4 when discharged. Spoke to my dsn which helped a lot. Flu and my immune system have a lot to answer for

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Reactions: 2 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi Cez thought you had been quiet, sorry to hear about your flu, it's possibly the worst thing to get so take it easy recovering. Please sign yourself up for the flu jab at your local docs, if you don't already get it as its free and since I've been having mine I've not caught it, well worth doing it ;)

cezli84

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
needles and Diabetes!
No i didnt stupidly, when i spoke to my dsn she asked me that too!! I just didnt think as this was the first time of having flu since diagnosed. I have found the sheet she gave me so will defo prepare myself nxt time. I have been offered flu jab but so many people have put me off getting it saying negative things bout it.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi there ceri
bless you hun :)
hope you can take your time getting better and have a few days off work
the flu is not much fun :(

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
No i didnt stupidly, when i spoke to my dsn she asked me that too!! I just didnt think as this was the first time of having flu since diagnosed. I have found the sheet she gave me so will defo prepare myself nxt time. I have been offered flu jab but so many people have put me off getting it saying negative things bout it.

Save the link also just in case you lose the sheet.

Regards to the flu jab, I had flu several years ago and was really ill, so much so I couldn't lift my head off the pillow, getting flu makes conditions like type 1 diabetes very difficult to control (as you have found out yourself @cezli84) and that is why you should seriously consider getting the flu jab next year.

I've had the jab ever since my flu experience and have never suffered any bad side-effects. Best wishes.