Tired, Painful Joints, Lethargic, Weak, Memory Going

Stevie2tone

Dislikes
Crocs, Bluetooth headsets, Sun newspaper, Injustice, Robert Mugabe, Australian soap operas, Dodgy Casting Agencies and Cotton wool
after reading that last post, it is a better idea NOT to have cereal for breakfast then??

Been hunting round for the lowest carb cereal I can find that I actually will eat rather then it tasting like poo

Fraddycat

I don't have cereal any more, I have a protein shake or full fat yoghurt and berries or omelette. If you need something to grab because you are in a rush out to work then hard boiled eggs are the perfect grab and go option. Sandwiches are not a great idea either, the bread is really not going to make you feel good.

Stevie2tone

Dislikes
Crocs, Bluetooth headsets, Sun newspaper, Injustice, Robert Mugabe, Australian soap operas, Dodgy Casting Agencies and Cotton wool
Thanks Fraddycat, maybe time to explore the yoghurt options I guess

Am guessing Muller corners are out!!??

Fraddycat

:) I think so! But you can almost replicate by having full fat yoghurt such as greek yoghurt wth berries and sliced almonds add a sploosh of double cream and its a yummy concoction that will keep you full for ages!

Stevie2tone

Dislikes
Double cream!!
Sounds quite indulgent, but not very manly :D

Stevie2tone

Dislikes
ahhhh

good idea!! Shush tho.... it will be a secret... I can always read a screwfix catalogue while I eat it... now how manly is that!!

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Stevie2tone said:
Double cream!!
Sounds quite indulgent, but not very manly :D

Never thought of double cream being linked to a particular sex :lol:

There are plenty of men on here that swear by their portions of cream!! :wink:

Regards
Angie

Stevie2tone

Dislikes
must bite tongue ... must bite tongue... must bite tongue....

fats1964

Well guys after a bit of reading and eating wrong today,
I had a massive sort of hangover, no booze it was only some pizza and large jacket potaoto with beans and cheese
It was almost like being paralysed
I think i may be almost constantly hyperglycemic with ketoacidosis, whatever that is I have been told to 2 people today

I also believe i have this part of the time
http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-dia ... cemic.html

Ok so heres the crunch got to change my food, for my diabetes, even if its not for weight loss, or other factors,
i have no will power, surely i can break this down into sections of the day and recognise dangers, and times i eat most, or eat wrong, and exercise, i need to get stronger and fitter
will report back some day, cant do this at moment
cant think straght,

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Richard,

Pizza, jacket potato and beans would put me straight in bed feeling bad (and I'm now on insulin and so can tolerate a bit more than what I could on tablets!!) Pizza is one of the worse things I think I have tried, with the jacket running a close second!

Just try a bit at a time, say just changing one meal every few days.
Which meal usually makes you feel the worse? Then think about what is in it. If it includes cereal, bread or potato try replacing that part with something lower in carbs (ask here if you are not sure) and then see if that makes you feel any better.

You will maybe feel tired and hungry for a bit as your body gets used to cutting down the carbs but after a few days things will start to get better and you will begin to feel an improvement. There is no quick fix and too much too quick will be hard work and put you off. One step at a time will produce a lifelong sustainable change that will benefit you long term.

Good luck and keep in touch with us, we all want to support you. We know what it's like we have all been there.
Take care
Angie

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Richard I think you are looking for things to fit your symptoms, what I can tell you without any doubt is that what you had to eat will have sent your sugar level soaring.

These are the very type of foods you have to start to change, I don't think anybody could eat a large spud (high carb) and beans (carby with a lot of sugar) and pizza (high carb) without being affected. I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that you find it hard to beleive that just having high glucose levels could possibly make you feel as ill as you do.

They absolutely can and it showed by the way you felt after eating what you ate today..you felt paralysed after it.

If you feel you can't deal with this now then that is fair enough but please, see this for what it is. All the time you spend thinking about what you need to do, how to plan it out etc..while you are thinking about it, you are not actually doing it.

There are alternatives of course and one of those is to go onto insulin. My daughter is on insulin and I would prefer to do everything in my power to avoid going onto it unless I really had to, that is why I have altered my diet.

Take care.

PS. Hello Angie! :D :wave:

Fraddycat

I only recently changed onto low carb diet, it was very empowering. I changed my diet to help with the diabetes and its REALLY worked, I have loads more energy, feel great, I don't have after meal sleepies, my skin is better, my gum disease has cleared up (in 5 weeks). I'm happy that I have also lost weight but its not the main reason I am doing it.

All the food you ate today will make you feel rotten, but if you tried a steak with cauliflower cheese, or brocolli, or stir fried onions, peppers and green beans, it feels special, you are treating yourself, and see how different you feel after.

This is said with kindness Richard but ... take your finger off the self destruct button ... make some small changes and I promise you will feel the benefit.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I remember being 47 - I was overweight & very unfit. I decided I had to accept 'middle age spread.' Working & raising 5 children didn't leave much time for exercise. 14 st - BMI about 30, not then diabetic.

I decided too that I needed an exercise I could enjoy, keep doing, & do with others. Also I was made redundant through a company political move & a team regrouped & worked as before on a self-employed basis. I was based at home, rather than going to work, so I could go & play tennis at a club with a clear conscience as I was with my wife during the day.

My fitness improved & weight dropped to 13 - 13.5 st.

In 2000, at age 61 I was diagnosed diabetic, & carefully followed the DUK/NHS diet for 7-8 years. At diagnosis I was told diabetes was progressive, & sure enough, it was. I was becoming crippled with muscle pain, retina damage was beginning, & I was chronically tired. My active life, & tennis were over. Then I joined this forum & started reduced carb. I simply cut out all the obvious carbs, & increased veg & proteins. In 3 months I had lost about a stone & was out of pain. That was 4 years ago.

My basic diet now is to have a ground almond based porridge (no oats) & no obvious carbs. I eat proteins & veg, & a little fruit. Eating out, i just have the protein & veg. Tea is my staple drink, & water.

Now, at 73, I am fit & well, still playing tennis & won gold & bronze for table tennis at the gym 'Olympics.'

You obvioously have to completely rethink your lifestyle, as I did.

I suggest you ask your doc about the Newcastle 600 kcal diet. I suspect that could prove difficult as you would feel hungry. My suggestion below could be more sustaining than the meal replacements used on the 600 diet.

Meanwhile my recommendation is that you have as a staple food-drink a mix of:
3-4 teasp ground almonds
3-4 teasp coconut powder
flavoured with coffee, low cal drinking choc as desired
make up with boiling water - stir well - it will swell & form a thin porridge
add milk or water
or no-added-sugar squash instead of coffee/choc

That will provide about 250 kcal & is much more sustaining that cereal or any carb-based b'fast, as the energy is provided by good fats, rather than sugars. Full fat cheesemakes a good snack - without bread or biscuits.

Take the mix with you & have some at your tea break. I suggest also you take a standard muti-vitamin/mineral supplement & glucosamine (for joints.)

Beware of any dietitian who recommends 'starchy carbs' or wholegrain cereals. You don't need them - at your weight, how much energy are you going to use? But do any exercise you can.

fats1964

So without going through books or the internet, whats good and bad and easy to buy food?
been tonight asda, strawberries, chicken fillets, walnuts, almonds, brazil nuts, edam and mozarella, low carbs,
and whats got carbs that burn off easiest, and less problem for diabetics

im still searching, also been trying to drink more but i always need toilet but cant do it with my job, only got a little van!

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I've had the same symptoms you have (and I've been heavier than 25 stone too). There are several comments and suggestions I could make but I think it's best to take one step at a time.

You mentioned blood tests - do you know what some of the results were? Have you ever had your eyes checked (screening test for diabetic retinopathy)?

You may be interested to know that even if you don't have Coeliac disease you can still be sensitive to gluten. Experimenting by going gluten free for just a few days might be worth a try.

But first things first. I think you need to know what your blood tests said about your diabetes.

fats1964

sorry i had not seen all these posts

IanD i would liek to here from

Well the last few days i packed in potatoes and bread, I know its easy for afew days
i like my cheese so gone for some with no carbs, had bananas, apples, beetroot, tomatoes, walnuts, brazil nuts, almonds, and chicken, but i dont know where it will lead, im hungry at the moment so might have omelette
Maybe i made things worse for food as i stopped smoking 6 weeks ago

So i have sort of surrounded my self with food that isnt bad, and im not calorie counting, but if im eating its better food than i had,

I have a banging headache maybe its cabs withdrawal, one other thing is i struggle to drink enough

so is there anything that i could eat and drink more with without running to the toilet every half hour.

And by the way all comments seem to be making an impact but i am stubborn so if i change for the better anyone can

It makes me wonder all those years ago, maybe i had some sort of reaction when i was ill, and then certain foods and too much of them piled my weight on and makes it hard for my body to shift,

One thing i did notice years ago, whenever i had a big meal it really hit me, I am still looking for a gym quality exercise bike, cos i can do well on one of them,

Bye for now :D

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Well done on making a good start.
You will feel hungry for a start as your body will be craving for the carbs......don't give in to them you have made a great start.
Have you tried the sugar free jelly pots too? They are great for snacking when the hunger pangs strike, especially with a splash of cream.
The headache is probably carb withdrawal too. Try drinking a bit more water or sugar free squash, dehydration can cause headaches.

Keep up the good work, and make sure you post regularly to let us know how things are going.

Best wishes
Angie