Tiredness

Wolfgang

I've been taking Metformin for 4 weeks, and have dramatically changed my diet to reduce fat and sugar. My BG has come down, and has always been between 4.0 and 10.0, but are generally between 5.0 and 9.0. There is no apparent pattern to the readings, the time of day, the food I have eaten, nothing seems to send it up or keep it down. On the occasions when it has been around or above 8.0 I have felt noticeably weary. My wife is a nurse, and she insists I should be less tired when the readings are higher, but it doesn't seem that way to me.

I'd be interested in any thoughts/comments.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Wolfgang said:
I've been taking Metformin for 4 weeks, and have dramatically changed my diet to reduce fat and sugar. My BG has come down, and has always been between 4.0 and 10.0, but are generally between 5.0 and 9.0. There is no apparent pattern to the readings, the time of day, the food I have eaten, nothing seems to send it up or keep it down. On the occasions when it has been around or above 8.0 I have felt noticeably weary. My wife is a nurse, and she insists I should be less tired when the readings are higher, but it doesn't seem that way to me.

I'd be interested in any thoughts/comments.

In reality, I find its completely the opposite. If I can keep my 2hr after food reading down to between 6 to 6.5 I have a lot more energy than if its around the 8 mark.... but then I am not low fatting (except those trans fats) and don't forget fats are a great source of energy and essential to help absorption of some trace elements of our diet.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Wolfgang.
I would be interested to know when you are testing and how often ?

What does your diet consist of now, a typical days menu ?

Type 2 diabetes symptoms include thirst and regular need to urinate, tiredness, irritability and nausea. Skin infections, blurry vision, tingling or dry skin are also common symptoms. So you see it goes with the territory. Everybody reacts differently though so although some people might not feel tired at high levels, there are some of us that do. So your Wife is right......and wrong. Confusing !

Speaking from my own experience I never get tired unless Bg levels are consistently running high, as happened when I was first diagnosed.........I could sleep for England ! The odd spike doesn't tire me but the constant higher levels do. It also takes a little while for your body to adapt to any drugs you may be taking. Are you taking any other drugs which may be having an effect of tiredness ?

When I was running levels of 24+ during some Cancer treatment not so long ago I was in a permanent state of tiredness, however that was also a side effect of the treatment I underwent and various drugs, so I can't definitely say it was as a result of the continual higher levels. Metformin can have an effect of causing lethargy which in itself may contribute to the problem.

jaykay

I find that's really the only downside to low carbing. I don't have any 'instant' fuel reserves, so can find myself running on empty. Usually it's fine but I occasionally find myself falling asleep, almost in the middle of a conversation. Quick snooze, a bit of a snack and I'm back to normal. I guess it's just the way my body deals and it's only happened about 3 times in 6 months so I don't worry too much. If I ate more fat I presume it wouldn't happen but I'm trying to get the balance right. :)

Wolfgang

Thanks for the replies, folks. Since posting, my metformin dose has been increased, so I'm adapting to this. Still giving high-ish readings some of the time and still feeling weary when I do.

Diet-wise, I have cereal (Rice Krispies, Cornflakes or Special K) with semi-skimmed. Lunch, maybe two slices of toast with Marmite. Evening is a main meal, often baked salmon or pork chops or chicken stir fry, with rice, jacket potato and veg. In between meals I will snack on an apple or half a grapefruit or maybe another bowl of cereal. I drink coffee, tea and sugar-free drinks. I'm trying to be careful with my diet, reducing my fat intake because I have fatty liver. I have lost 12lbs in the few weeks since being diagnosed, so I must be doing something right.

I asked the nurse about this a few days ago. She said my body is still adapting to the reduction in sugar and change in my diet. This can be making me weary. I guess things will improve with time.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Wolfgang
You seem to be consuming quite a lot of starch
Were you aware that starch turns to glucose in your body? You need to watch your total carbohydrates, not just the sugars. 10grams of starch will raise your blood glucose by double the amount that 10grams of table sugar will.
I realise that breakfast cereals are a convienient food, but they are some of the most processed things we can buy. In addition. the portion size referred to on most packs is 36grams. If you weigh that out, you'll see how little it is. My 2 year old granddaughter eats more.
Hana

jane22

I agree with handr about the carbs you are eating. I find if I can get breakfast right I'm pretty much set up for the day. I have an egg most days either poached, boiled, fried, scrambled or my favourite - as an omelette with a sliver of ham, some chopped tomato and a sprinkling of cheese. I have a few carbs as I have been told I need some to make the drug I use (Byetta) work so I have a slice of Burgen toast with a little butter. I never ever have cereal now as I have found when testing it sends BG much higher than the egg breakfast. I also find the egg keeps me much fuller longer and cereal really doesn't do the trick there. Try it for a week and see what happens.
With regard to tiredness, while my BG's were badly controlled and my Hba1c was 10.5 I was so very tired especially after meals. It was awful. Now it is down to 6 I feel so much more alive, no dropping off in the chair after meals at all.

Wolfgang

Thanks folks. I'll see what effect it has cutting the cereal out. Eggs is (are?) a good suggestion, I love eggs. They might also help negate one of the nasty side effect of the metformin!

stewart.uk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Not eating fast carbs.
Hi wolfgang Cereals, milk, toast, rice, and not least jacket potatos are a no no for me. These equal rocket fuel to my bs. In my pre bs days these seemed to be good wholesome foods. Your doing well if you can eat these carbs and control your bs.
I have rolled jumbo oats with hot soya milk with a little fruit (cranberries or grapes). But bread, animal milks and spuds of any kind are skipped by in the supermarket. Potatos have double the rocket effect on my bs than sugar, bit odd but true. Main meals are either white meat or fish with lots of different veg. A little boring actually, as I tend to have the sameish things each day.
You'll soon find what works for you. Good eating.