To Bmi or Not To Bmi That is my question

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Muzza3,
You have done really well with the weigh lost.
We are are in a similar position and I’ve been pondering what to aim for, BMI or waist measurement.
I’m 67, 5ft 8 and have lost 22kg so far by going LCHF, and 18/6 intermittent fasting. Currently weigh 82kg and aiming for 75kg (BMI 75).
Although I have found it relatively easy to lose weight I need to be realistic about maintaining a normal BMI (according to the NHS guidelines), or should I just go by how I feel/ look like in the mirror?
My waist is now a tight 36 ins (was 41) so 34 would be right for waist/ height ratio. I’ve tried the other links provided
Smart BMI. 39/70 which is ideal for my age apparently.
Waist/ hip ratio 0.91, so improvement to be made there.
My fasting BG is improving ( 5.2 - 5.8) which is the important thing, but it would be nice to improve my flabby stomach.
I think I’m going to ignore BMI, keep losing weight if I can and aim for a 34 inch waist. Meanwhile I need to find a way to tone up the flabby bits.
Good luck with your weight lost and thanks for asking the question which I’ve been thinking about.
BMI is a blunt tool and has its uses I think in order to give a metric that can help but as a general measurement I think it isn’t the be all. My personal trainer would be classed as obese if not morbidly due to the BMI yet is a body builder and healthy. plus how do people without body parts work?

I’m 5 foot 11 and 73kg. (32inch jeans, but real waist is 33 as they do like to go higher to make you feel better) puts my BMI at 22.5. My hips are 36, so ratio 0.91 it seems too but not really sure I can do much better

According to BMI I could drop a great deal lower, into the 60kg at the bottom end but that wouldn’t look good on me by far. I still have the flabby tummy and legs, more weight loss won’t fix that unfortunately, looseness from carrying excess weight is just one of those things, I think/hope it is slowly fixing itself but I think I’ll be marked for life. One day I will come to terms with that. If I’m lucky, It needs exercise and toning as more weight loss is more likely to come off areas that I don’t want them to

My personal trainer actually would prefer I’m closer to 76 or more but I’m a bit wary to be honest. I’m happy where I am

Last edited:

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
As @Andydragon says, BMI is a blunt tool.
There are always exceptions.
Geoff Capes was often quoted.

However the true test was if the person was built like Geoff Capes and could tow an airliner along a runway! :rolleyes:

"The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that is the way to bet.".
Or, take BMI as an initial target and then apply the exceptions afterwards.
Most people will be the correct weight when in the normal BMI range.

Also, aiming for "Phew! I've JUST scraped into the normal weight range!!" is not always the best target.
Better to be well withing the Normal range for whatever measure you decide to use.

My BMI is around 22.4 and seems reasonable, although I could always lose a pound or two.
I don't do enough upper body exercise to put on serous torso muscle.
My main exercise is cycling so the muscle is on my legs.

Anyway, keep doing what you are doing. It seems to be working.