Toast for Breakfast yah!

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just got my testing gear. Had 2 slices Liv Life Seeded (from Waitrose) with real butter. 5.1 before and two hours later 6.2. That solves breakfast worries. Do I need to test if I repeat this meal? Am so excited by my meter dont even mind finger pricking. It just makes sense!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Personally, I test each meal three times before putting it on my 'safe' list. Afterwards I would test that meal on an occasional basis just to see if there is a pattern change.

The testing really shows you what is happening doesn't it? Glucometers certainly are a fantastic tool. Well done.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Guzz I should have mentioned those numbers were lunchtime so tomo morning might be quite different! Meter arrived between breakfast and lunch. Fingers crossed it wont be disappointing.

Reactions: Guzzler

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I completely agree with Guzzler. :)

Test each meal several times, and then bear in mind that specific foods within that meal may have different glucose test results depending on time of day, portion size and what they are eaten with.

For instance, that same toast for breakfast or a late night snack could spike you higher (or lower), or different amounts of butter, or adding jam, or bacon...

Type 1s may cover these differences by changing their insulin ratios, but type 2s usually just have to adjust their food intake.

Reactions: Happyhomelands

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you both. The guidance on here is essential and makes the diagnosis less daunting. So much for me to figure out and you are all so patient.

Reactions: Biggles2 and Prem51

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Thanks Guzz I should have mentioned those numbers were lunchtime so tomo morning might be quite different! Meter arrived between breakfast and lunch. Fingers crossed it wont be disappointing.

The important thing is that you are testing. As you say, tomorrow morning may show a different reading that is why we can't just say 'Oh, I can eat X amount of a food and it's fine' after taking one reading. There are a few things that can impact on our bg.

Just as an example, I used to have berries and yoghurt for brekky and the readings were ok ish but not as low as I would have liked so I switched that meal to having it as a pudding after my evening meal and the readings were a lot more satisfying. That is where testing helps you to fine tune your carb intake. At the beginning we start by learning the basics and after a while it becomes just so easy. Keep up the great work!

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
are you type 1 or 2. whats the carb content. just checked eat away 7.6 for 2 slices

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
T2. I was trying to find something I liked for breakfast. Now I will move on to trying it with peanut or almond butter just to see what the meter does. I have my second review in two weeks and hoping my hba1c will improve (prev 53) and my cholestral which was over 7 though I need to get the breakdown of that from surgery. The DN was so keen to put me on Metformin and Statins I need something to defend myself with.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Here is a good toast for any meal "to the little gentleman in the black velvet waistcoat."

Reactions: miahara

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was going to suggest that you also check at one hour as carby foods can have a sneaky spike around then, but having seen @paulus1's post regarding the carb content, that suggestion may just be a little overkill. However, it's something worth bearing in mind when you are testing something a bit iffy...

Robbity

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just got my testing gear. Had 2 slices Liv Life Seeded (from Waitrose) with real butter. 5.1 before and two hours later 6.2. That solves breakfast worries. Do I need to test if I repeat this meal? Am so excited by my meter dont even mind finger pricking. It just makes sense!
I’m off to get this bread tomorrow. I’ve been having the occasional slice of Hovis low carb but the liv life has less calories and more importantly lower carbs, it’s nice to have a slice of toast for a change :)

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
T2. I was trying to find something I liked for breakfast. Now I will move on to trying it with peanut or almond butter just to see what the meter does. I have my second review in two weeks and hoping my hba1c will improve (prev 53) and my cholestral which was over 7 though I need to get the breakdown of that from surgery. The DN was so keen to put me on Metformin and Statins I need something to defend myself with.
I have peanut butter on celery. I think it's yummy, but I realise not everyone likes celery. It's pretty good on fennel too, but easier to spread on celery.:)

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Rather high in carbs I would think @ 79 g per every 100 g

2 shredded wheat biscuits and 125ml semi skimmed milk is 37g of carbs and sets me up all day without hunger, and its helps my bowel issues. I have it a couple of times a week.

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
if it fits in your diet and does not spike you eat it up. however ive never liked them reminds me of a pot cleaner the pot cleaner probably wins it on taste. plus like wetabix without sugar yuck

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
@PenguinMum
The real butter helps. If I need to indulge in a few extra carbs ( not very often ) then load it up with fats. Flattens out the spike but takes a bit longer to come down. Works for me pretty well. Just don't do it habitually.

Glenn

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m off to get this bread tomorrow. I’ve been having the occasional slice of Hovis low carb but the liv life has less calories and more importantly lower carbs, it’s nice to have a slice of toast for a change :)
This bread is smaller and more dense than the Hovis version so best toasted in my opinion. But second trial today gave me before/after DIFFERENCE of 1.2. Chew it well as bit dry but not unpleasant if you like seeded bread.