1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Today diabetes did not stop me

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Diakat, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Hi all,

I thought it might be nice to have a thread for minor victories. We all know diabetes can be (is) rubbish, and so many posts cover the struggles.

So this is intended to be an "I can still do it" thread. For those days where you wake up in the teens but still make it to work, for the days when numbers are unexpectedly perfect, for finding that cafe that serves something that won't mess up the numbers. For a day where you tried a new sport, new food, new destination.

Let's celebrate the good stuff, not just share the tough times.

• Like Like x 13
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Robbieswan

Robbieswan Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Well, I went to Lidl today and bought the protein rolls. Had that with cheese for lunched and really liked it.

• Like Like x 6
  3. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Thanks Robbie, great start getting out and trying new stuff. And so close to diagnosis too. See, there'll be no stopping you soon.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Grateful

Grateful Type 2 · Well-Known Member

After the initial period of mourning for my previously almost perfect health:
    • I am now much fitter because of the extra exercise.
    • I lost weight that I did not need.
    • I am eating in a much healthier way.
    • I now drink alcohol only in moderation
    • It has been a very stressful year (for reasons having nothing to do with diabetes) but the previous items in this list definitely helped me deal with the stress.
    • Odd to say, being diagnosed with a nasty chronic disease has given me a new sense of perspective and eagerness to enjoy life.
    • I feel closer to my wife and daughters. Not sure why, but definitely so.
    Edited to add: not really "minor victories" I know!

There's lots of little stuff too. During my daily walks I see a lot of wildlife and when I get home I Google to find out what these critters are called and how they live their lives. During my home exercises I find myself "meditating" for a few seconds while lying on my back between cycles-of-ten.

Wish-list: Getting back to my hobbies (building old-fashioned valve radios, and plastic modeling). For some reason I lost all interest in hobbies when diagnosed nine months ago.

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. Robbieswan

Robbieswan Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Also, what I would consider a victory is that this morning around 11.30am, I recorded a reading of 5.1. This time last week I was 27.5

• Winner Winner x 10
    • Like Like x 9
  6. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hey @Diakat . Great idea for a positive thread. Surely it's gotta be one of those sticky threads.
    Diabetes didn't stop me having a lovely home cooked English breakfast this morning. It also didn't stop me doing an hours shoulder workout up the gym, I hate doing shoulders :banghead:.
    As an aside I'll be awarding you today's " top banana " award for a brilliant idea.

• Like Like x 8
  7. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Thanks, (nice shoulders).

• Like Like x 1
  8. GrantGam

GrantGam Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Great thread @Diakat:)

Slept in for work this morning. It's great to know that diabetes hasn't prevented me from being a lazy...

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Looseboy

Looseboy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I ran a 5.5 mile cross country this morning
    Diabetes has got me moving.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Troubled1

Troubled1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

At the ripe age of 53 I was able to deadlift 405lbs (183.7kg).

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. mytype1.life

mytype1.life Type 1 · Well-Known Member

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Jenniewren1958

Jenniewren1958 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Had a lovely walk in the woods and round the lake, granddaughter swinging on low branches and chasing after 3 retrievers chasing squirrels

• Like Like x 5
  13. HelenHak

HelenHak Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Parking out of town and walking in,for the exercise, means I save the parking charges and see otters regularly.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Today diabetes has not stopped me swimming for an hour.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Taliesin

Taliesin Type 2 · Member

I had an email this morning: in the course of this year, my Hba1c has gone from 92 to 46: it's just occurred to me that I've cut it in half!

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  16. mytype1.life

mytype1.life Type 1 · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  17. Taliesin

Taliesin Type 2 · Member

I stopped pretending that "one chocolate bar won't hurt" - once I collected all the chocolate in the house up and gave it to a friend, I ended up giving her the exercise bike I couldn't use as well ;-)

I live as close to 100% on Huel as you can reasonably get, with a small amount of fruit to change the flavour. I only drink sugar free pop, except for Wednesdays when I meet friends for a cuppa (only time I have milk). I snack on nuts or Bombay mix. Because neuropathy and fatigue limit me as far as movement is concerned, I've reduced my calories per day to suit.

I won't lie: it helps that when I was ill in 2012 I lost my joy in food (I'd previously been an enthusiastic cook) - I'm often not even aware of being hungry and I'm not a stranger to "ooh... 4.2 - I suppose I ought to eat something".

• Like Like x 1
  18. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

I was so much hoping the answer would be by writing poetry...

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  19. Deleted Account

Deleted Account · Guest

I would say Diabetes has not stopped me doing anything since diagnosis, nearly 15 years ago, I have
    - been trekking in the Himalayas
    - sailed across the channel
    - spent a week doing Via Feratta in Italy
    - tracked Gorillas in Uganda
    - built houses in Ghana
    - skydived
    - canoed down the Wye
    - found a lovely man to spend my life with
    - changed jobs multiple times
    - walked up volcanoes in South America
    - tasted amazing food and wine
    - written a blog
    - done an Open University course

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. fletchweb

fletchweb Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

Great idea! I'm 55 yrs old and over the weekend I split and stacked 5 cord hardwood using a Maul (cross between a sledge hammer and an axe) and a wedge. It took me 8 hours by myself as my spouse is currently experiencing the flu.

I take great joy in still being able to do such activities - most of my 55 year old friends would not be able to do the same thing. But I got to tell you, I sure feel the physical strain days later - when I was younger maybe the next day - now it takes 3 days to recover - LOL

On Monday I only did a 2.5 KM power walk as I was still pretty stiff but today I was back to my 5 KM routine and I'm pretty well back to my normal.

One other thing I forgot to mention ... during my wood activities (getting ready for that Canadian winter) I managed to keep normal BGs and as a result of the energy I exerted was able to cut 12 units of humulog for both Saturday and Sunday because I simply didn't need it.

• Like Like x 3
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook