1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Today diabetes did not stop me

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Diakat, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Grateful

Grateful Type 2 · Well-Known Member

This thread is featured in the latest promotional email from diabetes.co.uk -- congratulations Diakat!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Ah, it's more about the people that replied.

• Like Like x 2
  3. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

You need to get out more!!!!!!!!:):):)

• Funny Funny x 5
  4. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

What a great thread Diakat!
    Cheerfulness reigns!
    I’m a certified scuba diver and have seen large and small underwater wonders. Totally glorious.
    I’ve lived and worked in sub-Saharan Africa and ridden in the bush with a local village head, been to a real durbar, travelled by myself and stopped in the market to gossip with the traders.
    I have two wonderful daughters and two great grandsons.
    I spent tonight volunteering at a Festival.
    I walk in the woods, swim in the (when it’s warm) sea, enjoy the company of good friends and dance if the music’s good.
    And all with T1 - and I’m still here after 48 years of it, and plan to be for a long time yet.

• Like Like x 3
  5. JTL

JTL Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of starting a cult.
    I just need to polish up on the charisma bit and my followers will do my bidding.
    They'll be required to lie on the floor and talk to me.
    This will cost them a third of their income and will cure them of every known disease .... if they have enough faith.
    If their faith isn't strong enough they will have to pay more.
    I will be known as Axminster fluff.

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Oh great one speak more to me.
    Together we shall rid this world of this vile ailment known as diabetes.
    Due you do contactless?

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. mytype1.life

mytype1.life Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Well done!

You are an inspiration! I'm hoping for a HbA1c improvement in December but doubt it will be anywhere near yours!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  8. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

That's the sort of thing I was after @Fairygodmother and @helensaramay , we need the newbies to see that we can live full lives without too much fear and still be here beyond 30!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Jc3131

Jc3131 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I went to Macdonalds for the first time since I was diagnosed with T1. chicken legend whith the french fries and a cup of tea.

Took my insulin and there was not much blood sugar rise from pre meal and the 2 and 3 hour readings I took, 5mmol, 6mmol and a nice 6.7 before dipping back to 5.4 just before my tea.

Nowt exciting but it's a first for me. We only went because it's the school holidays and our kitchen is being refitted so making food at home is a no go at the mo.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Vhm1

Vhm1 Type 1 · Active Member

T1 didn't stop me from doing anything today. Overall, maybe I've given up eating a few things I ate before, but even then, not many and not often. So I can't even say T1 stopped me from eating something; probably not. Overall, day to day, T1 doesn't stop me from doing anything. If I stop, it's me stopping me.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Jo_the_boat

Jo_the_boat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Best of luck with that. I had a go a few years ago but I think the marketing was a bit off, called myself Nylon Rug.

....today I went to work. That's OK though, rather enjoyed it. I put some skirting boards on and hung some doors. As my mate unkindly said, 'as one door opens, another one doesn't.'

• Like Like x 2
  12. johnpol

johnpol Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Diabetes has not stopped me from competing in strongman events (narrowly missing out from qualifying for Britain's Strongest man) returning to the gym again at 47yrs old, doing Aikido for a number of years, walking my dogs up the old man of Coniston, or competing in my first powerlifting competition. Even on the days when for no good reason my sugars have decided that they will be over 30, I will still carry on. it definitely hasn't stopped me from living my life as I chose.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Lampman

Lampman Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Its good to take time to think about the benefits of taking more care about everyday things. For me, simply eating only good stuff and not just shovelling in any old rubbish has meant losing over 4 stones in weight. We all know how hard dieting is, but this was effortless. Exercise has been much easier and therefore it has been done regularly. Feeling and being fitter is wonderful. With the certainty that even simple changes can really make a big difference comes reason to get up in the mornings, to be a useful part of my grand childrens lives and so on. All a bit better than what I was thinking the day I was diagnosed!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Fairygodmother

True, we can. I left out that I've had a family-embarrassing hypo on the steps of a bhuddist temple, had another at work and in uninhibited low mode asked the paramedics if they were the ones who'd posed naked on the calendar (yes, I mixed them up with the firefighters). You have to forgive yourself, and see yourself as a blessed source of entertainment.

15. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

As long as they reacted positively (the paramedics, I wouldn't try that line in the Buddhist monks...)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Fairygodmother

Ha ha, is that a challenge?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Fairygodmother

The paramedics were slightly confused at first, not quite sure how to reply, but then they found it funny while striving to remain professional.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook